Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Please take this to AppleOutsider...
  • Reply 22 of 89
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

Seriously guy...8 weeks. That's what you're hung up on to get a 10-20% speedbumb.

I'm a happy guy but this "5 year old tantrum...I want my candy now!" cracks me up. Look in the rear view mirror...what is 8 weeks. Was there anythig you couldn't with the existing HW/gadget toolbox.

Get a perspective.

/Mikael

What's up with you - why so much venom?

It's not just a speedbump - it's new chips that use probably 25% less power, thus run coooler (and faster) and use noticeably less battery power, thus running longer per charge, etc. etc. Hopefully these improvements will be significant in addition to the speedbump. For the MacBook, it's also a case redesign, possibly aluminum with better touchpad, keyboard, etc..
  • Reply 23 of 89
    Why does everyone want a case redesign? The only thing I would want to do is an easier to get to hard disk, (granted, I've gotten good enough I can swap a drive out in 20 minutes.) I like their current case design. I've always liked this case design.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

Why does everyone want a case redesign? The only thing I would want to do is an easier to get to hard disk, (granted, I've gotten good enough I can swap a drive out in 20 minutes.) I like their current case design. I've always liked this case design.

Agreed. Rumors of a metal case make me happy in a perverse sort of way. I bought a MacBook last fall, so I can take a pass on this new model. Someone really needs to sit Steve Jobs and the Ives designer guy down and show them that radio waves--meaning WiFi for MacBooks and cellular for the iPhone--don't go through or around metal well.

But then maybe I'm not thinking like Apple Marketing. Going metallic now will let them drop it in a year or two and trumpet that as a marvelous new feature. Detroit did that sort of thing in its "new model every year" era. Fins then no fins. One color, then two-tone. Vinyl tops, etc.

--Michael W. Perry, Untangling Tolkien
  • Reply 25 of 89
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Apple will just use a 802.11n chipset from another provider, they've never been slave to the Centrino branding which is retained for weaker PC manufacturers who can't market themselves.

As for Intel Integrated Graphics, the sooner that these are removed from all but the lowest Apple computers, the better.
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by the originally posted article

Both notebook families will use second-gen mobile Penryn chips debuting as part of the Centrino 2 platform, which will boast a 1066MHz front-side bus and clock between 2.26GHz and 2.8GHz, according to Intel documents.

So, I'll go offtopic (I mean, I'll talk about Macbooks... )

Is this Penryn a typo, or am I just misunderstanding the entire thing?

Montevina is suposed to replace Penryn as part of the Centrino 2 mobile platform - or am I just missing the whole point here?
  • Reply 27 of 89
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mSiqueira View Post

So, I'll go offtopic (I mean, I'll talk about Macbooks... )

Is this Penryn a typo, or am I just misunderstanding the entire thing?

Montevina is suposed to replace Penryn as part of the Centrino 2 mobile platform - or am I just missing the whole point here?

Montevina is Intel's codename for a platform that includes a processor, a northbridge chip, and a wireless chip, all marketed under the name Centrino (which Apple does not use, by the way, since Apple doesn't use Intel's wireless chip). Penryn is the name of the processor core.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Hmm...I think that Montevina was the code name for the entire Centrino 2 platform, of which the 2nd gen Penryn chip is a part. But I could be wrong. I don't really know too much about processors...

Oh, I see that someone more knowledgeable beat me to the punch. So there you have it.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    "Days Since Update\t295 (Avg = 188)"

Argh!!!! I want to buy one for Work so I don't have to haul my white 24" iMac back and forth from home to work all the time.

Note that I am a Systems Analyst at a organization that doesn't like Macs and they aren't thrilled that I bring my iMac in. I don't like being stuck looking at Windows all day so I bought a Samsung monitor to hook up to a Mac Mini and I'm just waiting until it gets updated to buy one. All my heavy "Mac" stuff gets done at home so I don't need a heavy one at work.
  • Reply 30 of 89
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Montevina is Intel's codename for a platform that includes a processor, a northbridge chip, and a wireless chip, all marketed under the name Centrino (which Apple does not use, by the way, since Apple doesn't use Intel's wireless chip). Penryn is the name of the processor core.

Correct. Apple uses custom designed motherboards, engineered by joint Apple-Intel teams, which happen to be quite Intel heavy.

This might actually give Apple an advantage if their motherboard design is not using the same wireless chip as the generic Centrino MB. But we here on this board are too reactionary to actually put much real thought into something, so...

WOOEESSS is USSS!!!!
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Clear...

So Montevina is actually replacing Santa Rosa, both of them could sport a Penryn core...

my bad
  • Reply 32 of 89
    webfrassewebfrasse Posts: 147member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elroth View Post

What's up with you - why so much venom?

It's not just a speedbump - it's new chips that use probably 25% less power, thus run coooler (and faster) and use noticeably less battery power, thus running longer per charge, etc. etc. Hopefully these improvements will be significant in addition to the speedbump. For the MacBook, it's also a case redesign, possibly aluminum with better touchpad, keyboard, etc..

Venom? What? I cracked an ironic comment about the "outrage" of a 8 weeks delay of this "save the world" release from Intel. There will be one of these releases at least every 18 months....

Don't be so geeky. If I was in the market for buying a laptop now sure I would wait the extra 8 weeks but it doesn't make the one I have worse all of a sudden. Whenever you buy a computer that is the exact moment it's starting to be comparable slower to evering else being released but it's still a good computer.

Also notice that nothing has been said by Apple regarding all the features you "promised";-) What you listed has probably been true for every release from Intel the last 20 years....

/Mikael
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

Perhaps you've just joined recently, but this is a geek forum.

I know but it's even funnier when the geeks tries to defend the geekiness with some "logic".

/Mikael
  • Reply 34 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

A quote from the link you provided...

"This is a resource war, fought by surrogates, involving great powers whose economies are predicated on growth, contending for a finite pool of resources. It is a war straight out of the pages of Michael Klare's book, Blood and Oil; and it would be a glaring example of the consequences of our addiction to oil, if it were not also an invisible war."

What's sad, is that it is only a "resource war" because governments such as ours does not allow companies whose job it is to find oil, allow them to do just that, 'Find Oil' and since they can't, we have to "contend with a finite pool of resources". It's not that we are addicted to oil, but that we are a oil driven economy whether we like or not, but if it is as 'poisonous' as some people say, BAN it! Ban oil and get rid of all the cars and associated jobs with them and go back to the horse and buggy. Also, what other products are derived from petroleum that we may need to learn to do without?

"The chemical structure of petroleum is composed of hydrocarbon chains of different lengths. Because of this, petroleum may be taken to oil refineries and the hydrocarbon chemicals separated by distillation and treated by other chemical processes, to be used for a variety of purposes. See Petroleum products.

Fuels

Ethane and other short-chain alkanes which are used as fuel

Diesel fuel (petrodiesel)

Fuel oils

Gasoline

Jet fuel

Kerosene

Liquid petroleum gas (LPG)

Natural gas

Other derivatives

Certain types of resultant hydrocarbons may be mixed with other non-hydrocarbons, to create other end products:

Alkenes (olefins) which can be manufactured into plastics or other compounds

Lubricants (produces light machine oils, motor oils, and greases, adding viscosity stabilizers as required).

Wax, used in the packaging of frozen foods, among others.

Sulfur or Sulfuric acid. These are a useful industrial materials. Sulfuric acid is usually prepared as the acid precursor oleum, a byproduct of sulfur removal from fuels.

Bulk tar.

Asphalt

Petroleum coke, used in speciality carbon products or as solid fuel.

Paraffin wax

Aromatic petrochemicals to be used as precursors in other chemical production."

So let get rid of all the plastics, that through chemistry, petroleum helps us to create. What will the hospitals use again? It's a good thing Apple is getting away from plastics and going to Aluminum and Glass, although they still need to work on mac mini, apple tv, mice, keyboard, Airport, Time Capsule, etc. Asphalt, lets get rid of those asphalt roads and parking lots. We won't need them since we won't have cars.

If you want to get rid of oil - fine! What do you intend to use to replace its many uses for fuel and other derivatives?

Swooossshhh!

/Mikael
  • Reply 35 of 89
    kyungjinkyungjin Posts: 5member
    Sorry for barging in on what appears to be some sort of debate going on... =_=;;

Anyway... I'm a Windows person so I'm not so Mac-savvy (I guess you would say...) Anyway, I'm wondering whether the one month delay of Montevina will have any sort of effect on Intel's future platforms (specifically Nahalem) and consequently the effect it would have on it finding its way to the Mac future mobile platform (the Macbook Pro to be more specific).

I'm kinda looking at purchasing one when Montevina or Nahalem comes out (to replace my now dead 5 year old Dell notebook) so that I can run Windows on it through Boot Camp (I'm mostly buying it because of the hardware and design over the fact that I can run the Mac OS on it, which I'm not quite too comfortable with). Anyway, I'm in need of a new computer so I'm kinda wondering what Apple's offering for its users anywhere from now to 6 or 7 months into the future...
  • Reply 36 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyungjin View Post

Sorry for barging in on what appears to be some sort of debate going on... =_=;;

Anyway... I'm a Windows person so I'm not so Mac-savvy (I guess you would say...) Anyway, I'm wondering whether the one month delay of Montevina will have any sort of effect on Intel's future platforms (specifically Nahalem) and consequently the effect it would have on it finding its way to the Mac future mobile platform (the Macbook Pro to be more specific).

I'm kinda looking at purchasing one when Montevina or Nahalem comes out (to replace my now dead 5 year old Dell notebook) so that I can run Windows on it through Boot Camp (I'm mostly buying it because of the hardware and design over the fact that I can run the Mac OS on it, which I'm not quite too comfortable with). Anyway, I'm in need of a new computer so I'm kinda wondering what Apple's offering for its users anywhere from now to 6 or 7 months into the future...

All you're going to get is rumors. Apple never announces roadmaps for product updates but you can bet on that they will follow what Intel does. That has been true since the switch. Next announcement is on June 9th.

/Mikael
  • Reply 37 of 89
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

I hope this won't be the start of an "IBMish" thing...

G5 laptop anyone???

Without AMD being such a strong competitor, expect more of this...
  • Reply 38 of 89
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webfrasse View Post

All you're going to get is rumors. Apple never announces roadmaps for product updates but you can bet on that they will follow what Intel does. That has been true since the switch. Next announcement is on June 9th.

/Mikael

Apple follows Intel's CPU roadmap, not the generic motherboard package roadmaps. Since it is a motherboard package problem, not a CPU problem, we have much ado about very little.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
  • Reply 40 of 89
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Future Listing of Intel Chipsets:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...icroprocessors

That's processors, not chipsets.