Windows 7 starts race with Apple to full multi-touch desktop OS

Comments

• Reply 61 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

Begun the Touch Wars have between Microsoft and Apple. Survive only one will.

A Yoda in our midst!

• Reply 62 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A Yoda in our midst!

Oops.... I see that wilco beat me to it.
  • Reply 63 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Geddy Lee's Nose View Post

Seems like a solid alternate to buying one of those 2 grand wacom tablet. Other than that it, would take some convincing to purchase.

This one isn't so much. I use it quite often and is very durable. With programmable buttons it works wonders with Adobe products. It was my work around when Apple removed the number pad on the keyboard of their Macbook Pros.

My thought is that I know quite a few people need that tactile feeling and haptic feedback (citing the rumor that the new iPhone will have vibration feedback) that a touch screen lacks. The keyboard will never phase out in my opinion because people like pressing on things and hearing that clickity clack of a keyboard. Also, when you're reshaping pictures or adjusting things, you won't be able to see what you're doing because... well... your hands are in the way.

They should leave the multi-touch designs to devices that do not have a readily available mouse. The iPhone, Mb Air, and Mb Pro are all perfect executions of this technology.

As for Windows 7 it seems to be bogged down with an exceptional amount of lag. At one point it didn't even register on paint to which she attempts to cover up as quick as she can. Granted it's still in its development stage, but a company should never demo anything that flawed. Not to be an Apple brat, but every time I see a new apple product be demoed it runs smoothly and the faults usually come from the person presenting more so than the device.

This is quite a big blow for Microsoft as people will most likely call it a giant iPhone.
  • Reply 64 of 106
    I forgot to mention that people who eat while they work on their computers and gamers who don't exactly consume the cleanest of foods would most likely destroy their touch screens within a month.

Greasy fingers will make for illegible screens.
  • Reply 65 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I was impressed immediately when the demo started off with Paint.exe.
  • Reply 66 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by archer75 View Post

Apple copies too.

Apple they do, but if you're going to buy/borrow/steal someone's else's idea you should be make a demo that is more impressive than the previous one's done.

Jeff Han's multi-touch demo was very impressive to watch, but wasn't focused on specific usage.

Apple's mult-touch demo was veru impressive to watch, as it did focus on specific usage and complete app packages.

This MS demo should have been have something that Apple hasn't yet done and shouldn't have been a less complete demo than what Han did in early 2006.
    There is a reason Apple usually only showcases software after it's nearly complete. MS is trying to generate positive press again with another lackluster idea and implementation.
  • Reply 67 of 106
    g-newsg-news Posts: 1,107member
    In related news, Windows 7 is not going to feature the new MinWin Kernel and will instead resort back to an "improved" (whatever that means by MS standards) version of the Windows Server 2008 Kernel, which is an "improved" version of the Vista Kernel.

So Vista has dumped the new file system, 7 dumps the new Kernel, what are they going to dump next, the last bit of usability?
  • Reply 68 of 106
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The mouse didn't supplement the keyboard. The mouse is an absolute necessity in a graphical environment. Originally the keyboard's only purpose was to be used for text input. Keyboard key combinations were later added to help certain users make the transition from a text based interface to a graphical interface.

On day one Macintosh had keyboard shortcuts with the apple key. Before macintosh the only want to work programs was to memorize all of the key combinations. When Macintosh came out, the critics complained that the mouse was a waste of time, that they were perfectly fine using keyboard combinations in their programs, nevermind that each program had a different set of commands to learn.

Today the mouse has supplemented the keyboard. There are some things you can do with either, there are other things that wouldn't be possible without a mouse. I see multi-touch displays working much the same way. There will be some things you can do with either mouse or touch, there will be other new things that you will be able to do with touch that you couldn't really do with a mouse or keyboard.
  • Reply 69 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

The mouse didn't supplement the keyboard. The mouse is an absolute necessity in a graphical environment.

Supplement: something that completes or enhances something else when added to it.
    I'd say that definition fits well.
  • Reply 70 of 106
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    WOW.. MS is using 2007 mobile phone technology as a marketing tool for a 2010 operating system!!!!

Like always,

Windows 7 Basic = $259

Windows 7 Touch Home = $379

Windows 7 Touch Business = $399

Windows 7 Touch Pro = $499

• Reply 71 of 106
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kamochan View Post

I have a Mighty Mouse! It has a Scroll Ball! Which is always stuck with gunk. Effective result = no scroll wheel.

That's right folks, human hands are dirty and depositing oil and small flakes of skin all over your computer surface... multi-touch screens on desktop computers is a moronic idea. Multi-touch keyboards, OTOH could be useful.
  • Reply 72 of 106
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kamochan View Post

I have a Mighty Mouse! It has a Scroll Ball! Which is always stuck with gunk. Effective result = no scroll wheel.

Solution:

1- Unplug your mouse.

2- Spray a liquid cleaner, such as Windex, on your mouse-ball.

3- Press-down firmly on the mouse-ball while vigorously scrolling up/down, left/right until the gunk is released and the ball starts to move the sensor (you should feel and hear a very light continuous clicking sound in all directions).

4- Dry the mouse-ball with a lint-free cloth.

5- Repeat from Step 2, one more time.

It works for me every-time.
  • Reply 73 of 106
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    I thought Apple had patented the "touch" tech for the iPhone etc? How is it MS is doing the same thing now?
  • Reply 74 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hypoluxa View Post

I thought Apple had patented the "touch" tech for the iPhone etc? How is it MS is doing the same thing now?

They do have patents, but so do others. If I recall correctly, Apple licensed or bought Han's IP for the iPhone, which means they specifically used his method of multi-touch technology, I think.
    I really don't know, hopefully someone will school us.
  • Reply 75 of 106
    ... And surprisingly enough Windows Mobile 7 will have a similar name and multitouch features. Well I bet Windows 7 Mobile will probably be using the Windows 7 OS.

Overall the only thing half decent MSFT has made in the last 5 years was the Xbox 360. Everything else was just a lame copy of something else that was somehow flawed, and even the 360 had hardware issues.

Soon the Mac OS will be the number 1 OS and Microsoft knows it.
  • Reply 76 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleWizard View Post

Overall the only thing half decent MSFT has made in the last 5 years was the Xbox 360. Everything else was just a lame copy of something else that was somehow flawed, and even the 360 had hardware issues.

...and even that has cost them billions.

Quote:

Soon the Mac OS will be the number 1 OS and Microsoft knows it.

I wouldn't hold your breath. I don't foresee anything that has happened yet to indicate that OS X will outsell Windows anytime soon... or later.
  • Reply 77 of 106
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 78 of 106
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Project2501 View Post

Official support maybe, but the machines have had the ability long before that. See: iScroll2, works perfectly

I'm gonna try that with my old footlong, it's the only thing that drives me nuts when I use my old powerbook. I really had no idea how much I relied on the two finger scroll ..
  • Reply 79 of 106
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

They do have patents, but so do others. If I recall correctly, Apple licensed or bought Han's IP for the iPhone, which means they specifically used his method of multi-touch technology, I think.
    I really don't know, hopefully someone will school us.

apple acquired fingerworks sometime around Feb 2005.
  • Reply 80 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Solar View Post

apple acquired fingerworks sometime around Feb 2005.

Thanks, that is what I was remembering. Wiki has a purchase date of Jan 22nd, 2007.