Questions on buying first Macbook...

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I recently turned 17 and am looking forward to my first Mac purchase...

I am hopefully doing the right thing and waiting until the next update of the Macbook lineup with the 'Monteniva' chipset. Although I have a few questions to ask before I make my decision.

Assuming the next Macbooks are similar to the current line, would it be sensible to buy the base model when it is released and buy upgrades for RAM and a Hard Drive separately to save myself money?

Also, again assuming the new models are similar to the current ones, is there a major risk involved if I decided to replace the RAM and HD myself, considering I have never done anything like this before? Is there a good chance I can do permanent damage to the Macbook or the RAM/HD I purchased?

That would lead me to my last question which is if I took my Macbook to an Apple Store (In Belfast where I am applying for a job!) would they replace the HD/RAM for me even if I bought them elsewhere?

Or would PC World/Currys even do it?

Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mburnett View Post

Assuming the next Macbooks are similar to the current line, would it be sensible to buy the base model when it is released and buy upgrades for RAM and a Hard Drive separately to save myself money?

I myself am doing the same thing, but I'm doing this with Apple's current line of macbooks. Buying Ram and a Hard Drive is easy, and I reccomend www.crucial.com/uk for RAM, as it is cheap and they also give you a free USB drive. I don't think you can buy Hard Drives there, however you may be able too. The only problem with this option is in case you want a superdrive, but I'm assuming you don't want one, as otherwise you would of gone with the second option for the Macbooks (£829 option)

Quote:

Also, again assuming the new models are similar to the current ones, is there a major risk involved if I decided to replace the RAM and HD myself, considering I have never done anything like this before? Is there a good chance I can do permanent damage to the Macbook or the RAM/HD I purchased?

There is barely a risk at all in replacing the RAM and HD, as long as you know what you're doing. You can find many websites giving tutorials in how to do this, however I know of a website which has a video which shows this, so it would be easier to follow, http://www.itidiots.com/content/view/140/67/

Quote:

That would lead me to my last question which is if I took my Macbook to an Apple Store (In Belfast where I am applying for a job!) would they replace the HD/RAM for me even if I bought them elsewhere?

Or would PC World/Currys even do it?

I'm sorry, but I can't help with you with these questions, but as for the PC World/Currys question, I think that it would only work if you bought the macbook from their store.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    Thanks for your help.

And you were right assuming I do not need a superdrive, I have no need for DVD burning capabilities.

Thanks again!
  • Reply 3 of 3
    techgirltechgirl Posts: 21member
    I'm pretty sure that with the macbooks, upgrading the RAM and harddrive does not void the warranty, so if you had trouble I think you could still get help. A while back a mac genius told me I needed to upgrade my RAM on my old iBook, but he showed me how to do it myself since it is way cheaper to buy RAM elsewhere than to have Apple do it (I was very impressed that he told me not to have them do it b/c they charge too much). I had never done anything like that, but it was really easy. There are lots of videos on YouTube and elsewhere showing you how to do it.

The genius did warn me that not all RAM are created equal, and that they have tested a bunch of different brands, and some just don't work as well as others, particularly some of the bargain RAM you can find on places like Crucial. A really good brand is Other World Computing, or OWC. Go to MacSales.com. They are an excellent brand; you will pay a little more, but you will be assured of a top quality product with high quality control. They also have excellent customer service as well as detailed videos and slideshows showing you how to install it.

The genius also told me that if I had trouble or just wanted someone to check to make sure I had done it right, I could bring it in and one of the genius's would look and make sure it was seated properly and stuff.