Apple releases Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    So far I can't tell whether or not 10.5.3 is available for retail or I'll have to wait until 10.5.4 to buy a retail copy.

Any thoughts on this product number? MB427Z/A
  • Reply 82 of 106
    My 1st gen Macbook just hung on sleep again (or still) with 10.5.3. Meh.. seems like I should have stayed with 10.5.1 back when the last update was released.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I find no errors with 10.5.3, so far.

The changes to 802.1X networking were a bit convoluted on 802.1X with WEP, but once you realise you have to set the network up manually in advanced, reconnection beats the HECK out of any previous Mac OS.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by schmidm77 View Post

People are still performing this repair permissions voodoo when they install updates?

'religiously' never had a problem... (knock on wood?)
  • Reply 85 of 106
    Ehm? My Time Machine volume just got forcefully ejected (the 'use the eject button' error message showed up) when I plugged in my iPod video.
  • Reply 86 of 106
    lablab Posts: 10member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by federmoose View Post

I hate to say it, but when you have individual problems that don't occur on other peep's machines... it might be time to do a wipe and install of the OS.

I'm afraid I'm not the only one plagued by this issue: Scheduled delivery of Apple computers to schools run by the New York City Department of Education have been temporarily suspended due to problems related to connecting to the DOE's wireless network infrastructure.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6643660

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6466793

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1231631

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....readID=1008143

I've really done everything - including a total wipe and install...

As far as I can see it affects (at least) C2D-Macbooks and WPA2-Networks

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

It fixed my wifi problems. When ever I put my AE on '"N only" I would drop the connection all the time. Seems to be working now.

Maybe there is hope... \
  • Reply 87 of 106
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Just installed it and no problems for me......

This may have been mentioned already, no time to read through entire blog ... I used the update download on an old iBook G4 and used the combo on my 8 Core Mac Pro. Both had my @mac.com mail e-mail address changed to [email protected].

Once I spotted this (after a while of using it) I simply deleted the '-old' and everything worked it seems so far.

This has to be a minor failure in the post install clean up script I should think.

Watch out it may have happened to you! My mail was sent using this '-old' before I spotted it with no error, and I have no idea yet if it got through.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    My update file was 198MB. Seamless download and install. Can't notice much of a change in anything, though.
  • Reply 89 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Restart your machine and see if it still occurs.

If you have and it does, then grab the Combo Updater and try again.

thanks, but it didn't work... i'll have to roll back to 10.5.2

maybe i'll give it a few days...
  • Reply 90 of 106
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    The Spaces bug fixes were very much needed and appreciated. Now, if you switch from space to space an application with multiple windows will not sometimes change the top window randomly.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

What new drivers are in there for hardware that is not out yet from apple and how long be for psystar comes out with own update for 10.5.3?

10.5.3 has been fixed for Hackintosh in record time, so now all Psystar has to do is put it on their servers.

So far their update page doesn't list 10.5.3. They may only have it accessible through their specialized Software Update or may be wanting to test it first.
  • Reply 92 of 106
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    "Fixes an issue in which certain attached hard drives may not show up in the Finder."

ie FireWire drives. What is it with Apple, can't even cope with their own technology? This is the second time that they have stuffed up the FireWire, the first it also took 3 version to fix (10.3.3).

Since I upgraded my iMac G5 2.0Ghz ALS, it has boot up problems and the Firewire drops off. The system is "Unable to list Firewire devices".

I really, really hope that this update fixes it.

At 430Mb it should fix the world's energy crisis, the Middle East and the dearth of good day time television!
  • Reply 93 of 106
    jbozzyjbozzy Posts: 1member
    when trying to update 2 times last night it gave me a "disk or source file corrupt please contact manufacturer for another copy or call tech support" warning after it seemed to have finished the install......looks like i'm the only one with problems so far....anyone else experiencing this?....I should mention this is while using software updater
  • Reply 94 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    New name for .Mac coming if 10.5.3 changes are any indication:
  • Reply 95 of 106
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    deleted
  • Reply 96 of 106
    shintocamshintocam Posts: 68member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Henk Poley View Post

My 1st gen Macbook just hung on sleep again (or still) with 10.5.3. Meh.. seems like I should have stayed with 10.5.1 back when the last update was released.

Yup, MBP 2.4GHz and I thought 10.5.3 might fix this but nope, first time I put it to sleep after the update and sure enough couldn't get it back.

Also 10.5.3 has reset all kinds of things on my computer. I've got alarms going off from programs I have not used in months.

But, so far Finder has not locked up on me which was happening every other day so I hope that may be fixed (but then again it has only been a day).

BTW I installed the combo update since I was having so many problems before hoping that would help.
  • Reply 97 of 106
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Im not having any major issues so far with the update, except for my one issue that still has not corrected itself - iCal still will not automatically delete events and to-do items when I set it to do so after X amount of days...Ive tried deleting the prefs, creating a new user account, I even reinstalled it and it still does not work like its suppose to. iCal in 10.4 on my other HD partition works perfectly.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Any chance you're syncing your calendars to another device/service that is putting those events and items *back*?
  • Reply 99 of 106
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Any chance you're syncing your calendars to another device/service that is putting those events and items *back*?

Nope. No syncing to anything other than my iPod. which hasn't been plugged in for a week or so.
  • Reply 100 of 106
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    My experience with 10.5.3 so far - installed in a few minutes, rebooted, done. Remembering installing XP SP2 not long ago it was a welcome change!

Most obvious noted change for me is Time Machine on my MacBook - it feels like it takes slightly longer, but more importantly it seems to be less of a CPU hog and so I can carry on working, sometimes not even noticing it is backing up. Best of all, the fan doesn't kick in while it's going.

So thus far, me = happy.