Latest iPhone 2.0 beta adds geo-tagging to Camera photos

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 89
    schmidm77schmidm77 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by allstaruk View Post

How often do you use MMS? I never use it, not least because it eats up 4 sms credits. It's such dead technology that I am surprised there's any noise about this at all.

Thoughts?

Just yesterday I received two MMS messages from friends. So whatever your opinion on the matter is, it doesn't match up with other user's reality. It's missing functionality that should have been there from the beginning as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 82 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    1) I just recieved an iTunes Store New Music weekly email. The iPhone's mail app won't display any of it, web based mail in mobile Safari will.

2) Apple's very own webpage for 1600+ iPhone optimized webapps is not optimized for viewing on the iPhone.
  • Reply 83 of 89
    The new Nokia N96 due out in a month is a little more than expected. Sure it comes with 16GB Flash, but at $1200 I'd expect it to have at least 32GB.

Using it as a template of what the 3G iPhone may offer, the dual band 3G radio in the N96 is a little off putting. But its HSDPA radio can only do a max of 3.6Mb/s, which is half the speed of the S-GOLD3H chip by Inferion.

The talk time is also only 3 hours 40 minutes. I'd have to carry multiple spare batteries with me just to get through the day.
  • Reply 84 of 89
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The new Nokia N96 due out in a month is a little more than expected. Sure it comes with 16GB Flash, but at $1200 I'd expect it to have at least 32GB.

Using it as a template of what the 3G iPhone may offer, the dual band 3G radio in the N96 is a little off putting. But its HSDPA radio can only do a max of 3.6Mb/s, which is half the speed of the S-GOLD3H chip by Inferion.

The talk time is also only 3 hours 40 minutes. I'd have to carry multiple spare batteries with me just to get through the day.

I think your data speeds are a bit misleading here. Several networks here in Europe are only listed at 3.6Mb/s but in actuality the phones will run at 7.2. The limiting factor is the network, not the chip. My N82 runs at 7.2 MB/s as do all of the GSM (3G) modems that people use for data. Even the Nokia site lists it at 3.6MB/s but all the new phones run at 7.2. My friends over at Nokia confirmed this. Once all the networks run at 7.2Mb/s or better the marketing info should change. Also, in Europe, people are used to paying full price for phones. SOme operators offer subsidize but for the most part people would rather have the option to change their operator as they see fit. It will be interesting to see what happens here in Finland now, considering the first time the iPhone was offered here, Sonera told Apple to take hike.
  • Reply 85 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I think your data speeds are a bit misleading here. Several networks here in Europe are only listed at 3.6Mb/s but in actuality the phones will run at 7.2. The limiting factor is the network, not the chip. My N82 runs at 7.2 MB/s as do all of the GSM (3G) modems that people use for data. Even the Nokia site lists it at 3.6MB/s but all the new phones run at 7.2. My friends over at Nokia confirmed this. Once all the networks run at 7.2Mb/s or better the marketing info should change. Also, in Europe, people are used to paying full price for phones. SOme operators offer subsidize but for the most part people would rather have the option to change their operator as they see fit. It will be interesting to see what happens here in Finland now, considering the first time the iPhone was offered here, Sonera told Apple to take hike.

1) Seems odd that a physical device would list what the average carrier is capable of and not what the hardware is capable of. While a 3G iPhone will have a 7.2Mb/s chip, we know that AT&T only has about 1.5Mb/s downlink.

2) I recall so many posts by people in Europe over the past 18 months that the iPhone is too expensive because most cellphones in Europe are given away. Even the 8GB Nokia N95 was free for 02 customers, which had people considering getting that deal, then hocking it on eBay to pay for their iPhone.
  • Reply 86 of 89
    Quote:

1) Seems odd that a physical device would list what the average carrier is capable of and not what the hardware is capable of. While a 3G iPhone will have a 7.2Mb/s chip, we know that AT&T only has about 1.5Mb/s downlink.

2) I recall so many posts by people in Europe over the past 18 months that the iPhone is too expensive because most cellphones in Europe are given away. Even the 8GB Nokia N95 was free for 02 customers, which had people considering getting that deal, then hocking it on eBay to pay for their iPhone.

1. I am just reporting the news as I use it (so to speak).

**Just thought of this** Maybe they list it at 3.6MB/s because all the networks are not 7.2MB/s capable yet and you can bet a donut to a fat man someone will complain that they are not getting their 7.2MB/s when it is actually the fault of the network operator and not Nokia but consumers will not readily accept this. Just a thought.

2. Yes and no. These are not the "new hot ticket" phones. I had an N95. I had the option to get it subsidized or to just pay it outright. Here, the subsidy is actually a loan for the phone stretched over 6, 12, 0r 24 months. The phones are not free. On one site that sells phones, you can but the N82 for 449€ direct or pay 500€ spread over 6 months.
  • Reply 87 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

The phones are not free. On one site that sells phones, you can but the N82 for 449? direct or pay 500? spread over 6 months.

That is the problem with the subsidy model. We know that we pay for it one way or another, but the majority look at their phones are cheap, throwaway devices which has hindered the cellular market from advancing as fast as it should.
  • Reply 88 of 89
    Quote:

That is the problem with the subsidy model. We know that we pay for it one way or another, but the majority look at their phones are cheap, throwaway devices which has hindered the cellular market from advancing as fast as it should.

You should have been here when they tried that branding scheme. People were freaking out. Sonera, and Elisa got over that with the quickness. The cool thing about the new iPhone deal for Finland is that I just changed all of our services from Elisa to Sonera for the American Embassy here. So, I can just update my contract (hopefully) and get a cheaper iPhone. You in the market for a iLiberty+'d iPhone?

As for the subsidy model, people have to get used to paying full price for phones. This will take some of the power away from the operators.
  • Reply 89 of 89
    The iPhone "Photo Geo" app ( http://www.chainlink.com/photoGeo ) will allow you to view the location of your photos on your iPhone.