Mac OS X 10.5.3 users grapple with bugs in Adobe CS3, graphics

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Those early adopters of Apple's latest major patch for Mac OS X Leopard are finding bugs with Adobe's Creative Suite 3, as well as persisting graphics glitches for MacBook portables.

Visitors to support forums for both Adobe and Apple report an inability to properly save files from InDesign, Photoshop, and other CS3 programs to a location on a remote server when the file is open.

When users attempt a save command, the file on the server becomes unusable, even when copied and opened locally. The issue occurs regardless of the format and doesn't appear to occur for locally saved files, which can still be uploaded to the server afterwards.

The corrupted files appear to have a modified header that prevents them from being recognized properly, say some readers. However, some also report success in choosing "Save As" to register changes rather than the standard "Save" command.

Neither Adobe nor Apple has commented on the discovered glitch, although a number of users report that Adobe has often discouraged users from working directly with network files.

"There are far too many variables in the system for this way of working to be supported by Adobe," one user says.

Less fortunate, however, are MacBook and MacBook Pro owners, a number of whom note in Apple-hosted discussions that reported visual flaws in certain Mac OS X applications have carried over from version 10.5.2 of the operating system to 10.5.3.

Despite the sweeping nature of the fixes, portable users running the latest version say that redraw issues persist in key programs, particularly movie players or Apple's own iTunes app. The bugs often distort or block out entire window views as well as cause momentary blackouts in videos, all of which are visible in a video one user has submitted to AppleInsider.

Some users report solving the issue by reverting back to an earlier version of Mac OS X Leopard and installing 10.5.3 without applying the earlier Leopard Graphics Update, though its effectiveness is uncertain.

More distressing to those MacBook owners affected by the flaws, however, is Apple's seeming disaffection with the problem. While the drawing errors are serious enough to have been reported to Apple Engineering -- "as high as it goes," according to one Apple forum member -- technicians at the Mac maker are largely unaware of any widespread issues and must go through costly hardware troubleshooting before referring the problem to engineers. In at least one case, a programmer made Apple aware of the problem shortly before the 10.5.3 release without success.

"As an Apple Developer, I've been posting that 10.5.3 has NOT corrected the problem," he says. "I knew this two days ago, and I notified Apple."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 60
    dwr50dwr50 Posts: 4member
    It sure seems like Apple has let quality drop out of it's business plan. They seem to be following Microsoft's plan of letting customers do the flaw finding, instead of there own developers. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new Apple computer, and I won't be buying one until they solve their quality control problems.

Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition. The fist Linux distro where everything worked, on this laptop, the first time !
  • Reply 2 of 60
    .mac.mac Posts: 44member
    thank god i didnt applied
  • Reply 3 of 60
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think Apple's RadarWeb system works very well. I've submitted reproducible bugs with clear instructions on how to reproduce (I am a software developer of 10 years experience) and get questions back that make no sense if the person had actually read the report. It's all a bit of a joke really.
  • Reply 4 of 60
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Who's got time to make their computers run properly when there's a new iPhone to get out?
  • Reply 5 of 60
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    C2D MB 2,4GHz with GMA X1300, no issues here, iTunes store works fine.
  • Reply 6 of 60
    What tool did the developer use to capture this video? I am looking for a tool to do what they did. Anyone care to pass along any pointers?
  • Reply 7 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cwoloszynski View Post

What tool did the developer use to capture this video? I am looking for a tool to do what they did. Anyone care to pass along any pointers?

SnapzPro more than likely

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/
  • Reply 8 of 60
    mradelmradel Posts: 1member
    Yeah, I've noticed these issues in Safari since the update. It's very spotty though - I've found that simply quitting and restarting the app takes care of it.

I'm on a 2.33 MBP, btw.
  • Reply 9 of 60
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    While I'm not seeing any of these problems, I'd be suprised if it was anything other than some Carbon/QuickDraw related problem.

Adobe...Flash...iTunes. These are all Carbon apps/plugins that may still be using the deprecated QuickDraw API.
  • Reply 10 of 60
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Agreed.

Running 10.5.3 I cannot reproduce this issue on a Mac Pro 8 Core with ATI Radeon HD 2600 and NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT driving a 23" ACD and a 30" ACD. Running 10.5.3.

Looks like a video card or video driver issue to me.
  • Reply 11 of 60
    I'd have to say CS3 has been buggy for me long before this patch was released.
  • Reply 12 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwr50 View Post

It sure seems like Apple has let quality drop out of it's business plan. They seem to be following Microsoft's plan of letting customers do the flaw finding, instead of there own developers. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new Apple computer, and I won't be buying one until they solve their quality control problems.

Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition. The fist Linux distro where everything worked, on this laptop, the first time !

IF you think that this is any different than it has EVER been you are sorely mistaken. Their quality issues are no worse than they've ever been. The issues are just better published now, and people are far whinier, that is the only difference.
  • Reply 13 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

IF you think that this is any different than it has EVER been you are sorely mistaken. Their quality issues are no worse than they've ever been. The issues are just better published now, and people are far whinier, that is the only difference.

Well, I guess this issue has been settled.

• Reply 14 of 60
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    The problem is probably with adobe for writing bloatwares. And it can also be hardware related or some third party apps playing punk.

I maybe wrong I suspect the problem is with the Intel chip.

So far the CS3 photoshop i am using has no problem.
  • Reply 15 of 60
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Null.
  • Reply 16 of 60
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The problem is probably with adobe for writing bloatwares...

...I maybe wrong I suspect the problem is with the Intel chip.

Which one is it, Einstein?
  • Reply 17 of 60
    reiferreifer Posts: 25member
    I'm having periodic issues with I Photo too

Just locks me up totally

Can't force quit either.
  • Reply 18 of 60
    hohlecowhohlecow Posts: 50member
    my mouse cursor has been dropping its shadow after sleep starting sometime during 10.5.2. When i start up, i get a nice, anti-aliased mouse pointer with drop shadow, and frequently, after sleep, i get the fallback simple mouse pointer.

it doesn't affect usability, but its annoying.

2.2 C2D MBP, nVidia 8600.
  • Reply 19 of 60
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lorre View Post

Likewise on my PB 2.4. Called studio and clients (8 Macs) so far. Everything fine there.
  • Reply 20 of 60
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Just to jump in - I've been running 10.5.3 in dev seeds for a bit on both MacPro and two MacBook Pros. One MacBook Pro did have some weird issues in an earlier dev seed of locking up a lot, but I don't use it much so I'm going to see if the final fixes it. On my MacPro - rock solid. Perfect. Even with CS3 installed and used. Other MacBook Pro had no issues, btw.

Also, for the dev on the OP who told Apple about a bug 2 days before release - that's too late. They are already set for release about 4-5 days before release. They have to have engineering reproducing the issue at least a week or two before for it to affect anything.