Apple concept would warn iPhone users ahead of dropped calls

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    wnursewnurse Posts: 427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buckaroo View Post

It's thinking out of the box like this that makes Apple a true winner.

What exactly is out of the box about these ideas?. There are already devices that find your keys for you. MyGF bought me one two years ago. So they put the feature in a phone.. frickin dip d doo.. so what!!..

as to warning of when phone is out of range.. all cell phones do this.. it's called the signal bar.

Even cingular has it in their advertisements. You know.. more bars, more places mantra.

There is nothing revolutionary what apple is doing.. in the instance of warning about being out of range.. they are repackaging an already existing feature.. as to finding keys, they are integrating that into a phone.. nothing out of the box here, sorry.
  • Reply 22 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

All cell phones currently have the feature to warn you that you are about to lose signal.. it's called the signal bars. Go to a phone that is not the iphone.. turn on the phone. On most phone, the connection bars at the the upper right corner of the phone. Some phones have 5 bars, etc. the less bars, the less reception.

When you have 1 bar, it is a pretty good indication you are about to be out of range.

Well, I think most (if not all) of us have had a situation when we've dropped a call while traveling. The fact that every phone has signal bars doesn't help - most people aren't actively looking at their phone's screen while talking (especially if they're driving while talking). This is a useful idea in that the phone could inform you that your signal is getting weak while you're talking.

Think of it this way - your phone has a battery indicator, as well. Isn't it nice that your phone can warn you when the battery is low, instead of simply shutting off when it's dead?
  • Reply 23 of 26
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macrosheep View Post

Think of it this way - your phone has a battery indicator, as well. Isn't it nice that your phone can warn you when the battery is low, instead of simply shutting off when it's dead?

Nice comparison. Welcome to AI.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wnurse View Post

There is nothing revolutionary what apple is doing.. in the instance of warning about being out of range.. they are repackaging an already existing feature.. as to finding keys, they are integrating that into a phone.. nothing out of the box here, sorry.

Maybe you don't think it's out of whichever box you're defining, which is fine. Let's not use that cliché. The point, really, is that Apple is yet again looking to create a superior product by making improvements that add value to the user experience.

You don't always have to come up with entirely new ideas. Sometimes it's re-working and improving existing ideas into mass-market products that is the true genius.

There were mp3 players before the iPod, and there were touch-screens before the iPhone, but Apple molded those ideas into devices that people actually wanted to use. Xerox came up with the idea of a GUI, but it took Apple to make it useful.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    Quote:

Well, I think most (if not all) of us have had a situation when we've dropped a call while traveling. The fact that every phone has signal bars doesn't help - most people aren't actively looking at their phone's screen while talking (especially if they're driving while talking). This is a useful idea in that the phone could inform you that your signal is getting weak while you're talking.

Yes except apple also intends to implement this as a visual feature (along with an audio option). I think it's nice but out of the box?.. revolutionary?.. no, it's merely evolutionary. It's an incremental improvement. Also, most of us know we are going out of range when the person on the other end starts breaking up. I gurantee after a few uses, most users will turn of the audio warning.. how do i know?.. i once had a phone that warned me when a minute was about to be completed. Nextel used to bill to the nearest minute, maybe they still do, but this feature was to warn you when you were coming up to a minute so you could disconnect the call if you wanted to. I turned on the feature and after less than a month, turned it off.. it was annoying to get that beep every minute. Now i understand this audio notification will only happen if you are about to go out of range but wouldn't the person voice breaking up clue you in?. why do you need a beep?. I am sure there are some people who would love this feature but can we all stop acting like this is some novel idea?. like this will change the way cell phones are made?.. It's no more convenient than getting an auditory clue when your party's voice start breaking up. It's just one more way to let you know something is about to go wrong.

As to warning me when my battery is low, my phone does this already. It's called the battery indicator and i look at it every time before i answer the phone or make a call (it's kinda difficult not to, i have to look at the screen when determining who to call or determining who is calling). if i have only 10% battery, i know the phone is about to die. Why do i need up to the minute updates?.. i already know before the i made the call or receive it that the conversation will not last long. Again, it would be a minor improvement in my life and might actually annoy me.

Again, nothing out of the box, sorry.
  • Reply 26 of 26
    Quote:

Maybe you don't think it's out of whichever box you're defining, which is fine. Let's not use that cliché. The point, really, is that Apple is yet again looking to create a superior product by making improvements that add value to the user experience.

You don't always have to come up with entirely new ideas. Sometimes it's re-working and improving existing ideas into mass-market products that is the true genius.

There were mp3 players before the iPod, and there were touch-screens before the iPhone, but Apple molded those ideas into devices that people actually wanted to use. Xerox came up with the idea of a GUI, but it took Apple to make it useful.

Read my other reply to you. How is this improvement better than the clue you get when the other party voice starts breaking up?. i've never had a problem knowing when i am about to go out of range. never.