Mac OS X 10.5.3 users grapple with bugs in Adobe CS3, graphics

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,464member
    What a disappointment! Apple is definitely losing it, so much for OSX being the most advanced OS in the world BS. Yeah advanced is one thing, how about functionality?

You'd think the keychain problem, which worked better in 10.4, would've been repaired by now. Every-time I log-in, the Username and PW must be reentered to mount each sharepoint, how advanced is that? If this problem happened to Windows, everyone in this forum will be blaming MS rather than trying to pin the problem on Intel or Adobe.

FROG! Apple.
  • Reply 42 of 60
    wheelhotwheelhot Posts: 465member
    zzzz, somehow I guess Im lucky then, I dont have any of those problem you all described. .

Hmm, well I guess Apple Insider must make Microsoft Insider, then it will be interesting to see that both Apple and Microsoft releases updates that are buggy and we can compare who make more buggy updates, Apple or Microsoft.
  • Reply 43 of 60
    I'm not sure if this is related, but all the games I have that use Transgaming's Cider took a 10-25% performance hit when I installed 10.5.3. I'm going to revert to 10.5.2. and see if that improves things.

I'm on a 1.83 Ghz Core Duo 15" MBP, 2 GB DDR2 RAM, @ Radeon x1600 (UC) w/ 128 mb VRAM,

\
  • Reply 44 of 60
    suhailsuhail Posts: 192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheelhot View Post

zzzz, somehow I guess Im lucky then, I dont have any of those problem you all described. .

Hmm, well I guess Apple Insider must make Microsoft Insider, then it will be interesting to see that both Apple and Microsoft releases updates that are buggy and we can compare who make more buggy updates, Apple or Microsoft.

You're obviously not using a server/client workflow.
  • Reply 45 of 60
    I have a new Penryn MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, 15"). My first month with it in 10.5.2 I noticed repaint issues when scrolling in many applications and in Safari when it loads large images.

I upgraded to 10.5.3 yesterday and the Safari large image issue is fixed. I haven't extensively tested the scrolling behavior. I'm not using CS2 on OS/X yet, I have Photoshop and Illustrator in a VM I brought over from my previous Windows PC.

I consider this an annoyance. It's not a "blocker" issue, strictly speaking. But any graphics quality problems on Macs should be treated that way by Apple. I mean the aesthetic experience is half the point of buying these machines. This kind of bug simply should not be tolerated on a Mac.

The fact that it is has me fairly disappointed, to tell the truth. Still, it will take more than this to push me over to Vista.

On the other hand, I'm very happy with VMWare Fusion. I was pleasantly surprised how smooth and easy it was to create a VM of my old XP machine and run it on the Mac. Speed is as good as my old machine or better. I did get 4GB of RAM though. By the way, I recommend the Bridge networking mode rather than NAT. It's like having two machines, each with its own IP address on the local network.
  • Reply 46 of 60
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    Why so touchy? everyone of them, look at their size and the saved files and you will know what I mean or do you need me to show you how.

BTW I am not Einstein. AdamC will do

For the rest, 10.5.3 does make Photoshop snappier.
  • Reply 47 of 60
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    You know that bug where you insert a CD in iTunes, it fetches the CDDB info, and then it disappears? Well, it's worse than ever in 10.5.3!
  • Reply 48 of 60
    leafyleafy Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

You know that bug where you insert a CD in iTunes, it fetches the CDDB info, and then it disappears? Well, it's worse than ever in 10.5.3!

I just ripped the first 10 volumes off my Glenn Gould collection without any problem. What title are you trying to rip?
  • Reply 49 of 60
    I've been having this exact graphics problem on my mid-2007 MBP. It's particularly bad when scrolling in the iTunes store, luckily I don't use it much. Also been happening with online video, that's a little more irritating.
  • Reply 50 of 60
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leafy View Post

I just ripped the first 10 volumes off my Glenn Gould collection without any problem. What title are you trying to rip?

It doesn't matter. It's happened about 30 times so far.
  • Reply 51 of 60
    telshtelsh Posts: 2member
    looking around it seems as though quite a few people have had problems with wifi after upgrading to 10.5.3 - my AE just disappeared after the upgrade. I did a bit of digging around and found that, yes, even though we have the most technically brilliant OS ever, we still need to repair permissions after the update (this is on a macbook - my imac and mac mini had no such problems).

Anyway, a quick repair permissions (it found 1 fault) later and it's now succesfully found and reconnected to the network.

hope this helps someone

regards
  • Reply 52 of 60
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DestructoTex View Post

I concur. I was having the same kind of buggy performance before I updated to 10.5.3 and STILL get the CS3 errors after the update.

Wanna talk about quality control issues? Let's look at Adobe's buggy InDesign product. It's JUST AS BUGGY in CS3 as it was in CS2.

Let's add Adobe Illustrator C3 and CS2 to that!

They crash incessantly. Almost makes you want to go back to Quark!

Adobe hasn't given a damn in ages. They've been solely occupied with merging their Macromedia acquisition and collecting their Designer Software Tax [DST], now that their only competition is pirated copies.
  • Reply 53 of 60
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still using 10.4.11.

No way I'm "upgrading" until the end of the year.

I would recommend you don't, especially if you have an older PPC Mac.

OSX 10.5.2 screwed my iMac G5 with a firmware upgrade that has killed my FireWire. I was hoping for a fix in 10.5.3 as Apple suggested it would fix problems with external drives.

No such luck.

You get doubly screwed when you pay for the Leopard upgrade and end up with your Mac in service.
  • Reply 54 of 60
    The drop shadow and anti aliasing of the arrow cursor often goes away when connecting/disconnecting to/from an external display. One way to get the smooth, soft and sleek cursor back is to go to the Displays setting in System Preferences, lower the resolution of the display and then switch back to the normal/native resolution again.
  • Reply 55 of 60
    pchadwicpchadwic Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zorinlynx View Post

I have been unable to reproduct the Adobe file corruption issue. I am testing on my NFS fileserver, opening and saving large PSD files.

Perhaps this is only hitting certain obscure combinations of hardware and software. So far 10.5.3 has been rock-solid for me.

I've reproduced this problem on several MacPro clients and an XServe Xeon/XServe RAID server over AFP?all running 10.5.3.

I wouldn't call that obscure?it's all out-of the-box Apple.
  • Reply 56 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwr50 View Post

It sure seems like Apple has let quality drop out of it's business plan. They seem to be following Microsoft's plan of letting customers do the flaw finding, instead of there own developers. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new Apple computer, and I won't be buying one until they solve their quality control problems.

And, yet, when anyone does a statistical survey, Macs continue to have exceptionally high user satisfaction ratings and extremely low problem incidence. Maybe you'd do better if you based your decision on facts rather than a few loud whiners.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

It doesn't matter. It's happened about 30 times so far.

Hmmm. You'd think that after about the 20th time you'd figure out that it isn't working and try something else. Some people apparently don't learn.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pchadwic View Post

I've reproduced this problem on several MacPro clients and an XServe Xeon/XServe RAID server over AFP?all running 10.5.3.

I wouldn't call that obscure?it's all out-of the-box Apple.

Out of the box Apple? You're saying that your xServe RAID came with Adobe Photoshop CS2 AND CS3 pre-installed? Go figure.

By the way, this problem has been reported with Photoshop on Windows, as well. That kind of takes the wind out of the sails of the claims that it's all Apple's problem, doesn't it?
  • Reply 57 of 60
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The problem is probably with adobe for writing bloatwares. And it can also be hardware related or some third party apps playing punk.

Considering that the same problem has been reported with Photoshop on Windows, that seems likely.
  • Reply 58 of 60
    bikracerbikracer Posts: 3member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I'm still using 10.4.11.

No way I'm "upgrading" until the end of the year.

I bought OS 10.5 when it first came out, been staring at the box ever since. I'm not upgrading until I hear some consistently good feedback. I thought this update might be the one but ...
  • Reply 59 of 60
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    A weird graphics bug new to 10.5.3 I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else but I have been able to replicate with two system installs.

The Dock in 10.5.2 is syrupy-smooth -- just as it is in all the Steve-notes. In 10.5.3, it is an embarrassment, especially when you open folders up in a grid; jerky, clunky, almost as if they simply disabled Core Image on it. Maybe that's what they inadvertently did?

Note that this is on a Penryn Macbook Pro.
  • Reply 60 of 60
    I'm really suprised to see so many people screwed by the current update of Leopard. Adobe has never supported over network saves. They developed a app called Version Cue that is used for exactly this reason. Version Cue does all the network stuff for you. You have all herd of Version Cue, it comes with any bundle, it's been around for a while now, why don't any of you use it? Your companies should not be letting you work on network files to begin with, especially if you have multiple people working on the same thing. I've never herd of someone working directly on a network drive, it's just not good practice at all.