Deleting Duplicates - Is there a faster way?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014

Ok...I'm a brand-new iPod owner. I installed iTunes today, but much to my dismay, there are TONS of duplicate songs on my iTunes list. I don't want to transfer all these dupes to my iPod and waste the storage space, but deleting the songs one by one takes forever!!!

I thought maybe I could "check" the ones I wanted to get rid of and do a "mass delete" type of thing, but that did not work...any suggestions??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    admactaniumadmactanium Posts: 812member
    there are itunes scripts out there that make playlists of dupes. the one i used was called "corrall all itunes dupes". unfortunately i don't think you can delete the physical files from the hard drive from a playlist. so i let it do its thing, then i go an select the dupes and rate them 1 star. then i go back to my main list and sort by rating and delete and remove from hard drive all the 1-star songs.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by soonergirl View Post

Ok...I'm a brand-new iPod owner. I installed iTunes today, but much to my dismay, there are TONS of duplicate songs on my iTunes list. I don't want to transfer all these dupes to my iPod and waste the storage space, but deleting the songs one by one takes forever!!!

I thought maybe I could "check" the ones I wanted to get rid of and do a "mass delete" type of thing, but that did not work...any suggestions??

You can 'select' all the ones you want to delete (i.e. click on the first track, then hold down the Apple key and click on the next, etc, etc). Then press delete.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    endymionendymion Posts: 375member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by admactanium View Post

unfortunately i don't think you can delete the physical files from the hard drive from a playlist. so i let it do its thing, then i go an select the dupes and rate them 1 star. then i go back to my main list and sort by rating and delete and remove from hard drive all the 1-star songs.

Option-Delete
  • Reply 4 of 6
    shufflershuffler Posts: 4member
    you can always choose the songs you want to delete.. you just click them.. press the key Ctrl and select on the songs you want to delete...then press the key delete.. or click the right side of the mouse and click delete..
  • Reply 5 of 6
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Menu:

VIEW > SHOW DUPLICATES

And you're golden.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    view duplicates doesn't have very many parameters. if you have "best of" and regular albums from the same band you'll often get dupes listed for the same song but different albums. the corral script allows you to pick more parameters to make sure you're not deleting files that still belong there.