What .Mac's name is really changing too (inside yes)

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
.Mac is actually changing to mobile, I don't know how they will use the name but the domain will be mobile.com

The domain is currently held by AT&T, but will be switched over. It's not Mobile Me, It's just Mobile.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I'm not sure if it's this being my first WWDC or what, but I really smell something big. Apple is moving more and more towards the mobile platform. Think about it. Iphone, MBA, rebranding .mac ... the two bridge thing on the poster is also interesting. Possibly creating a new focus on all things mobile?

I personally think that the "huge" back to school sale will have something to do with the iPhone. Is there a better way to reach the 10m sales?

Just thoughts.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webmail View Post

.Mac is actually changing to mobile, I don't know how they will use the name but the domain will be mobile.com.

That's a tad bit better, but still seems rather daft IMHO.

Imagine an email address like [email protected]? So how about [email protected] and [email protected]? And instead of [email protected] a brand new [email protected]?

And for the future [email protected] and [email protected]?

You really don't need to know from where an email was sent. This goes against the trend of an ubiquitous Internet. In the future the Internet will be available a little bit everywhere and the total sum will be 'Your Internet'. It doesn't matter whether you access or send a bit of information from your notebook, desktop, mobile, jacket or brain implant!

And if you really need to know the originating device there's something called 'signature' which can be changed and adapted on a per device basis...

@mobile.com sounds like a step in the wrong direction.

My guess is Apple wants to eliminate @mac.com because switchers didn't feel comfortable to admit to all their friends they have a Mac now...
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Actually, based on the news that Apple has just acquired Me.com, I'd imagine it's called Me and not Mobile.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Actually, based on the news that Apple has just acquired Me.com, I'd imagine it's called Me and not Mobile.

I didn't even know they were changing the name of .mac. Is it possible they may just be adding another domain for their mobile platform? I like the name .Mac, and having to go through the hassle of changing any credit card info I have anywhere to match isn't going to be a pleasant experience.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

I didn't even know they were changing the name of .mac. Is it possible they may just be adding another domain for their mobile platform? I like the name .Mac, and having to go through the hassle of changing any credit card info I have anywhere to match isn't going to be a pleasant experience.

The @mac.com e-mails wouldn't change. New ones maybe, but not existing ones

The reason for the change is likely a desire on Apple's part to offer the service to Windows users