Look what I saw on highway 101- how tacky.

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
When I was driving home last night through Cupertino, across highway 85 to the 101 north, I spotted this car- only got 2 crappy pics (no thanks to the iPhone and low light)...

A blue Ferrari with HUGE Apple decals on the doors and hood. Who could this be? It wasn't Steve Jobs or Woz...Biggest Apple fanboy ever perhaps?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Maybe apple sponsors some kind of amateur racer.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    More likely, a guy who just got rich off selling Apple stock.

Sweet ride: this photo was taken near my exit . I'm pretty sure Steve drive a Merc, though. I'm also looking forward to seeing more bay area investors driving around in Teslas.
  • Reply 3 of 17
    tacojohntacojohn Posts: 980member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Sweet ride: this photo was taken near my exit . I'm pretty sure Steve drive a Merc, though. I'm also looking forward to seeing more bay area investors driving around in Teslas.

What exit do you take? I'm in Redwood City- I exit on Woodside...
  • Reply 4 of 17
    I am in Palo Alto, and I generally take the Willow Road exit (as pictured, but West) when coming back from the airport or other fine places up the peninsula. I am tempted, however, to move to SF.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Parking in SF City itself is a nightmare LOL
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:

He does. A friend of mine lives near him and got passed by Steve in a Mercedes when he was out riding his bike.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

He does. A friend of mine lives near him and got passed by Steve in a Mercedes when he was out riding his bike.

Cool... Did he wave to Steve?
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:

Maybe apple sponsors some kind of amateur racer.

Emphasis on amateur.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Parking in SF City itself is a nightmare LOL

Compared to other cities, it's pretty easy. Also, if I move there I'll get a garage. SF is not Manhattan.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

Cool... Did he wave to Steve?

No but later on he thought he should have ditched in front of Steve and then claimed an injury. We drove past Steve's house. There was nothing too special about it other than the multi car below grade parking.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Quote:

No but later on he thought he should have ditched in front of Steve and then claimed an injury...

• Reply 12 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Compared to other cities, it's pretty easy. Also, if I move there I'll get a garage. SF is not Manhattan.

Gets worse all the time, though. They keep upping the parking fines, there's rogue tow trucks (there was a scandal a while back regarding the tow company the city contracted with and their habit of towing random cars and selling them for parts), plus they're getting pretty quick with the Boot. Really don't have to try very hard to run up several hundred dollars a month in fines, double that if you get towed.

OTOH, during the Bubble they built, like, four hundred million square feet of lawyer lofts, so there may be some decent housing deals if you like galvanized steel counter tops and a wall of windows with a view of the building exactly like yours across the street.

Of course, being SF, "decent deal" means $2500 for a one bedroom.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    If subsidized phones are coming on Monday, you know those decals will be coming off his Ferrari and will be going up on my '89 honda.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    When I worked at Apple I wouldn't touch 101, period. 280 was the only highway to get there in any relative timeframe.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

When I worked at Apple I wouldn't touch 101, period. 280 was the only highway to get there in any relative timeframe.

Yeah, I liked the ol' 280. Scenic. Memorable.
  • Reply 16 of 17
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:

Yeah, I liked the ol' 280. Scenic. Memorable.

True, that.

101 is soul sapping.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

OTOH, during the Bubble they built, like, four hundred million square feet of lawyer lofts, so there may be some decent housing deals if you like galvanized steel counter tops and a wall of windows with a view of the building exactly like yours across the street.

Of course, being SF, "decent deal" means $2500 for a one bedroom.

At the moment I can't justify $2500 due to the condo I'm still holding onto in FL. Need to sell that. So I'm waiting, and crossing my fingers. The other nice thing about many of the lofts is that they tend to be zoned "work-live," so if you run a consulting outfit on the side (cough cough) you can write-off some or all of the rent as a tax-free expense.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

True, that.

101 is soul sapping.

The traffic overlay on Google Maps is essential to anyone who needs to make the decision between 280 and 101. Example