The perfect WWDC 2008

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    … and the masses CAN NOT take more then one "Big News Event" at a time, and it's NOT in Apples best interest.

So, there will be only ONE big announcement - 3G iPhone. Now thats not to say, there won't be something new and exciting announced each week for the next 3-4 weeks after this event.

Apple NEEDS to get back in the public eye, and the 3G iPhone init of itself is not enough.

• 3G iPhone …

• School stuff thats been kicked around … (Maybe a new inexpensive desktop unit for schools)

• Updated MBP …

• The MUCH waited for, new Monitors …

• Apple TV update(s) …

• Mini - updated …

And more. This will all take up some time, while Apple gets ready for the Holiday season,(- iPod updates) and MacWorldExpo shortly after that. Which will be the first time we see / hear about "Something New"???

• Oh, New desktop units / designs at MacWorldExpo …

Skip
  • Reply 22 of 71
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Talk about old timers club!!
  • Reply 23 of 71
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cdnalsi View Post

The perfect WWDC 2008:

17" Macbook Pro, 1920x1200, slot-loading Blu-Ray Burner, 320gb HDD, 8800GTX 512mb graphics, new keyboard, new trackpad, magnetic latch. Starting from $1999.

Only 1.5" thick and 10 pounds.
  • Reply 24 of 71
    cdnalsicdnalsi Posts: 33member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

Only 1.5" thick and 10 pounds.

Hell YEAH! I wouldn't mind that at all!
  • Reply 25 of 71
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

Oooo...that's good news.

Uh, dude, he said 5000 posts; you only got 2500?

Quote:

New iPhone. Half the thickness?

With all of the 'leaks' from the accessory manufacturers, it is fairly obvious that the 3G iPhone is going to be thicker, rather than thinner?

Quote:

New Apple Cinema Displays. 24" @ $599, 30" @ $799, 52" @ $999 and 72" @ $1499.

Wow, you & Tailpipe must be hitting that bong together?!

• Reply 26 of 71
    xflarexflare Posts: 199member
    WWDC will be 100% iPhone/iPhone SDK and nothing else.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xflare View Post

Supremely unlikely.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

Well I know one thing for sure. That is wrong.
    • iPhone 2.0 software and possibly hardware

• Either MacBooks (Pro) or new Cinema displays

• 10% possibility of new .Mac service.

• Reply 29 of 71
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Funny joke.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Only an idiot would think Steve would make a Political Candidate Phone call.
  • Reply 31 of 71
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The .Mac is the more likely of those latter 2 by far.
  • Reply 32 of 71
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Indeed. I expect the .mac revamp/rename will be a big part of the iPhone ecosystem unveiling.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:

I'm almost certain the 3G iPhone will be announced along with 2.0.

I'm also guessing the new name/features for .Mac will be announced.

The back to school thing will have already been announced.

Unfortunately, the news I'm hoping for, new MBs and MBPs, seems less likely to come at WWDC. I hope I'm wrong, but with the delays for the integrated graphics chip, it seems like announcing new MBs that may not be available til the end of July would be counterproductive from a marketing standpoint. Why do the back to school promo (incentive to buy new MB) and then announce new ones that won't come til July (incentive to wait to buy newest MB). The chance of a new MBP being announced seems higher since it's Intel parts don't seem to be delayed necessarily...but if they were going to announce them simultaneously, I think they'll wait. Maybe announce in July...

Can anyone give me a good reason why Apple would go ahead and announce new MBs at WWDC instead waiting until closer to the release date?
  • Reply 34 of 71
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Indeed. I expect the .mac revamp/rename will be a big part of the iPhone ecosystem unveiling.

The only .Mac revamp I want to see is a free .Mac, any features they want to throw at us on top of that would be a bonus. And if not free at least a huge reduction in price to $29.99. @ $99/€99 (Amazon bla bla) Steve is pissing in our faces.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

The .Mac is the more likely of those latter 2 by far.

You mean the former two?
  • Reply 36 of 71
    Quote:

The only .Mac revamp I want to see is a free .Mac, any features they want to throw at us on top of that would be a bonus. And if not free at least a huge reduction in price to $29.99. @ $99/?99 (Amazon bla bla) Steve is pissing in our faces.

Depends on what the feature set, IMO. At the current price, it's not exactly a good value. Add in phone access, however, and things get interesting very quickly. It'll be interesting.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    macroninmacronin Posts: 1,174member
    I think Apple needs to make the first years subscription to .Mac free with the purchase of a new Mac, US$30 with the purchase of an iPhone; and drop the renewal price to US$50 for all current & future subscribers.

If you purchase a new Mac down the road, you have the opportunity to use your free year for an extension of your current subscription, thus preventing having to start a whole new account.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Steve stands up and to everyone's surprise he's wearing a suit jacket, but no pants and he's clean shaven.

his last keynote before he leaves for the 3 week turbo-namaste clinic with fruit pectin-lsd colonics.

sorry, couldn't resist that one.

like your show better than mine. good imagination. However, I tihink it'll likely just be an incremental update, maybe a new product or two, but nothing that blows our minds (unlike the power brain wash above)
  • Reply 39 of 71
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    I just can't believe no one seems to think 802.11n for the iPhone is just as important 3G, I almost don't even want to buy the new one when it comes out unless it has 802.11n
  • Reply 40 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sandau View Post

his last keynote before he leaves for the 3 week turbo-namaste clinic with fruit pectin-lsd colonics.

sorry, couldn't resist that one.

like your show better than mine. good imagination. However, I tihink it'll likely just be an incremental update, maybe a new product or two, but nothing that blows our minds (unlike the power brain wash above)

Nope, because unless it has a distinct developer interest, it's not going to get a big push at WWDC. This isn't aimed at consumers.

The iPhone ][ is a big deal for devs because *they can sell for it*. That makes it worth their valuable time. (Well, that and they're all going to be drooling over getting one soon. )