Apple OS share rises; iPhone official for Spain; 3G iPhone shoot

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple's share of the operating system market was up again for the month of May, while Microsoft's share continued to fall. Meanwhile, iPhone is now officially on its way to Spain. And a new "behind the scenes" movie from last weeks Apple filming reveals one of the key actors.

Apple's OS share rising

Apple's operating system market share rose nearly 6 percent during the month of May to 7.83 percent, according to access reports from web properties tracked by NetApplications. During the same period, Microsoft's combined share of the OS market dropped by just over a half a percentage point.

On the browser front, Safari also saw its share rise by a little over 7.5 percent to close out the month with 6.25 percent of the overall browser market. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Internet Explorer lost nearly a full percentage point of browser share, falling to 73.75 percent.

NetApplications is now also tracking the iPhone's share of the overall OS market, noting that it rose a mere 0.01 percent in May to 0.16 percent. However, a report from market research firm IDC released this weekend indicates the iPhone's share of the US cell phone market dipped considerably during the first quarter of the year to 19.2 percent. The Apple handset exited the fourth quarter of 2007 with a 26.7 percent share.

iPhone official for Spain

Telefonica-owned Movistar formally announced an agreement with Apple to distribute the next-generation iPhone in Spain. Like earlier carrier announcements in recent months, the carrier offered no further details other than to say the device would be available to its subscribers sometime this year.

Movistar's Francisco José Santos Esteras had previously stated that his firm had reached an agreement with Apple to offer the iPhone in Spain. At the time, he said the carrier would have a temporary exclusive on sales of the handset in country lasting between three and six months.

Movistar caters to over 22 million customers in Spain and parts of Latin America.

3G iPhone commercial

AppleInsider reader DavidJr submits the following "behind the scenes" video he shot last week during the widely publicized filming outside Apple's flagship shop on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan.

It's widely believed the shoot was tied to the upcoming 3G iPhone launch and may have even been the setting for a commercial that was partially filmed out in Los Angeles.

Of interest from the new video is that it shows one of the actors -- a man in a suit -- being prepped as the camera zooms in.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    how utterly and completely mesmerizing.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Hmm...the man in the suit...could it be Will Smith perhaps?
  • Reply 3 of 22
    sartissartis Posts: 6member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

I thought it was Barack Obama
  • Reply 4 of 22
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sartis View Post

I thought it was Barack Obama

...Because those are the only 2 black men you could think of?
  • Reply 5 of 22
    sammicksammick Posts: 416member
    Just think--

Barack Obama --Steve Jobs---what a ticket!!!
  • Reply 6 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

...Because those are the only 2 black men you could think of?

Why would you think that?
  • Reply 7 of 22
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Just think--

Well at least when the Obama Whitehouse introduces new bills, there will be an added sense of allure and mania.
  • Reply 8 of 22
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freethinker View Post

Well at least when the Obama Whitehouse introduces new bills, there will be an added sense of allure and mania.

As if the Clinton mob would ever let him take office...

• Reply 9 of 22
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I'll agree with Vincent, that video was really hard to watch.
  • Reply 10 of 22
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    I work in Marketing and Communication, and every time I see the amount of energy resources wasted to make a stupid 30-sec. commercial, I just wanna quit and unplug.

• Reply 11 of 22
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sammick View Post

Just think--

and if you thought the current administration was secretive...

the giant rdf over the vice president's residence would make google maps obfuscation no longer necessary. even the military couldn't find washington any longer!
  • Reply 12 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    DavidJr is a reader here? I watched his "celebrity interviews". They're pretty fun. Keep at it DavidJr!
  • Reply 13 of 22
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's operating system market share rose nearly 6 percent during the month of May to 7.83 percent, according to access reports from web properties tracked by NetApplications. During the same period, Microsoft's combined share of the OS market dropped by just over a half a percentage point.

If Apple gained 6% and Microsoft lost .5%, then what operating system lost the other 5.5%? Are they trying to claim that Apple is only gaining market share against Linux, Sun, or some other Unix version?

I am becoming increasingly convinced that trying to measure how many people are using a Mac (market share) based upon the vistors to cherry picked websites or web applications is spurious at best and deceptive at worst!
  • Reply 14 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

I am becoming increasingly convinced that trying to measure how many people are using a Mac (market share) based upon the vistors to cherry picked websites or web applications is spurious at best and deceptive at worst!

Of course it's deceptive. There's no way of accurately measuring all OS's on all computers simply by studying web traffic. Absurd.
  • Reply 15 of 22
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

If Apple gained 6% and Microsoft lost .5%, then what operating system lost the other 5.5%? Are they trying to claim that Apple is only gaining market share against Linux, Sun, or some other Unix version? :

No, its not like that. Apple increased 6% on their 7% or so share, so overall, the increase would have been miniscule, at around .42% overall. Microsoft, at .5% of their share of approximately 92% would have lost .46%

That evens out the numbers. Its all about making the increases to Apple seem bigger, and there are 6% more mac sales in that, so its nothing to sneeze at for Apple. But the .5% loss by microsoft will hit them hard too.

Its important to realise the difference between the two percentages is because they are percentages of different values, and cannot be directly compared. The percentage increase for apple of 6% is great for their profits, and a .5% loss for microsoft is actually just a bit more than equal to 6% of mac gains.

.5% for microsoft market share is 6% for apple, that is what i am saying... ( i don't know if you are getting me at all)
  • Reply 16 of 22
    Quote:

If Apple gained 6% and Microsoft lost .5%, then what operating system lost the other 5.5%? Are they trying to claim that Apple is only gaining market share against Linux, Sun, or some other Unix version?

This reminds me of my days in economics classes where phrases like "growth was decreasing at an increasing rate" began to sound normal instead of oxymoronic...

Anyway, I think the point is that many of the numbers are relative. A simple, though fictitious, example is that if Apple's share rose from 5% to 6%, that would be a 20% increase(in Apple's share) even though it only went up 1% (of the overall market share). If at the same time, Microsoft's share fell from 90% to 89% it would be a 1.1% drop. The difference is in the increase or decrease of one companies individual share versus their increase or decline in the overall market.

Notice how much more significant the change is to a company with a very small percentage to start with. Reporting it like this make's Apple's gains seem more dramatic.

I think this quote illustrates it best:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the browser front, Safari also saw its share rise by a little over 7.5 percent to close out the month with 6.25 percent of the overall browser market. Meanwhile, Microsoft's Internet Explorer lost nearly a full percentage point of browser share, falling to 73.75 percent.

They show Apple's share going up 7.5% (to 6.25%) instead of saying that it went up 0.47% (from 5.78%).

In this example, 7.5% and 0.47% mean the same thing, but the former looks more impressive (and is therefore included) and the latter has to be extrapolated.

It is left unsaid that Apple's growth covers only about half of Microsoft's decline--and Apple's growth definitely is not 7 times Microsoft's decline...
  • Reply 17 of 22
    Looks like PG4G beat me in the "how to lie with statistics" lesson. That is what I get for checking* my math!

*Just because I checked it doesn't mean it is correct. Some of those skills are rusty...
  • Reply 18 of 22
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

There's a difference between 'percentages' and 'percentage points'. Apple gained 6%, which means that they went from (approximately) 7.38% market share to 7.83% (that would be a gain of (almost) .5 percentage points).

Microsoft lost (almost) .5 percentage points. Assuming their share was 90%, they went from 90% to 89.5%.
  • Reply 19 of 22
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    My name is David Junior Dot Cum.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    The key info here is they are shooting the new iPhone being used by a businessman. But, of course he's tall and slim - not short and pudgy like PC is.