Sources: Apple planning biggest back-to-school promo yet

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fleshman03 View Post

I LOVE that picture. Feels like the lecture halls at my university. (USF!)

Why would Apple push the touch? Isn't that the iPhone with training wheels? A 16gb iPhone (IDK if they will still make 8gb after wwdc) would be AWESOME. And... Apple can afford to give larger discounts b/c they can recoop some cash over the 2yr contract.

Just thoughts.

Not everyone has AT&T or wants to risk unlocking an iPhone. And it's $100 less.

If it's included in the promo, I'm getting one.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Is that Air U?
  • Reply 23 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    That image makes me want to sex with girl
  • Reply 24 of 40
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Pretty much any image makes me want to do that.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

You think? Wonder why the touch wasn't included in last year's back to school promo?

Wasn't Touch introduced after the promo ended?
  • Reply 26 of 40
    natecnatec Posts: 19member
    Hey Apple- here's an idea! Come out with your new/updated products in May/June to actually be able to sell them during the "back-to-school" shopping season. I can't count the number of times I've had to try and convince students to hold off their purchases until August/September so that they don't end up buying models in the last month of the product-life....

The problem is that students want to buy their new computers near the start of the summer when they have time to play around and get data transferred and software installed. And it sucks that they are stuck buying old models for a crappy discount that is negated when you pay sales tax (compared to Amazon.com) and get an iPod, which most students already have...
  • Reply 27 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

...or with computer.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    webmailwebmail Posts: 639member
    There is a reason they are discounted. It's so apple can get rid of excess inventory.

What's the big deal? Why do you tell people to wait? You're students needed a 2.6 vs. a 2.4ghz laptop? It's not worth the discount that they have the absolute cutting edge, besides it will be replaced again before christmas so waiting doesn't matter it will STILL BE replaced in 3 months time.

It's only small things that don't matter. Especially for students.

If it matters to you, you are a mac nerd, wealthy, or a person who has convinced yourself your laptop is old every month.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stompy View Post

Thanks for the correction, I knew model numbers were listed on the rebate form, but now that I've looked it up, those were just iPod model numbers.

I think I can help with the second part, "are refurbs included in the promo?"

Unless they change the promo from the last 2 years, refurbs won't qualify. Here's the text from the 2007 rebate form:

"PRODUCT ELIGIBILITY: This offer is available only on purchases of new products. All Macintosh computers and the Configure-to-order versions of these products are eligible, except for Mac mini. The iPod products listed below are eligible for participation in this offer. TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR THIS OFFER, BE CERTAIN THAT THE PRODUCT YOU PURCHASE HAS ONE OF THE APPLE PART NUMBERS LISTED BELOW. IF YOU ARE UNCERTAIN, PLEASE ASK YOUR SALESPERSON TO CONFIRM TO YOU THAT YOU ARE PURCHASING A PRODUCT THAT IS ELIGIBLE UNDER THIS OFFER. 2GB iPod nano, iPod shuffle, Mac mini, Apple TV, iPhone, and refurbished products are not eligible."

Does anybody know if the monitors are included into the offer too (or just the computers) ? I might need one soon.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ckelly View Post

Macs are not *required* -- just recommended.

http://journalism.missouri.edu/under...uirements.html

"Students are encouraged to acquire wireless laptop technology from Apple, which the School has designated as its preferred provider, but students also will have a choice of a Windows-based alternative. Last year, 99.5 percent of incoming students chose the Apple option."

Thank you for the link.

Have forwarded it to a few 'friends' and have added it as "Another (subtle) reason to select Mac' list for my clients and students.
  • Reply 31 of 40
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    The fellow leaving. Possibly a student on his way to have his PC…

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

And the guy smacking is forehead on the opposite side of the room soon to follow.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    When I think about how damn hot those J-school classes were with MU always trying to cut costs on AC, and then think about factoring in the heat of 100+ MB/MBPs and the smell of unwashed frat boys still reeking of Vodka and vomit from the night before, I'm suddenly very glad I'm old.

• Reply 33 of 40
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Wasn't Touch introduced after the promo ended?

Yes, around the same time the promo ended. The AI writeup made something of the idea that ** gasp ** the touch might be included in this year's promo. That was just my snide way of saying that if the touch shows up on the 2008 list, it really shouldn't be a surprise.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    stompystompy Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gabberattack View Post

Does anybody know if the monitors are included into the offer too (or just the computers) ? I might need one soon.

If 2007 is any indication, no. Here's the 2007 back to school promo page, still available on Apple's website.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    Big news one word "touch"
  • Reply 36 of 40
    seek3rseek3r Posts: 179member
    Good thing I noticed this, just canceled an order for a new MP (sold my old one this week), I can wait a few days if it looks like I'll get a free iPod thrown in :-D
  • Reply 37 of 40
    mizzou22mizzou22 Posts: 1member
    Hey I was in this class and I thought I would clear some things up. This is a Journalism 1010 class at the University of Missouri. These are, for the most part, freshman. The J school at Mizzou requires all freshman to have Macbooks. This is not photoshopped at all or anything like that. Our teacher said the previous class period that it was cool to look at all of these Macbooks and he said he wanted to take a picture so he told everyone to bring their laptops to the next class period, hence the pictures.

GO TIGERS!!!!
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Talk about cheapening the brand. What happened to all this talk about the exclusivity of apple products?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Just noticed a new article at Macrumors that is confirming that students will be able to get the iPod Touch 8GB for free with the purchase of a new MB/MBP/MBA.

My question is, do you think they'll let you use the rebate towards the purchase of a 16GB or 32GB Touch?
  • Reply 40 of 40
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by whositwhatnow View Post

Big news one word "touch"

Uh, oh. Another one post wonder...