Apple Back-to-School promo to offer free 8GB iPod touch

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday will formally announce details of its 2008 Back-to-School promotion, which will offer a free 8GB iPod touch to students who purchase a qualifying Mac.

People briefed on the promotion Monday confirm that this year's incentives will be the electronics maker's most compelling ever, offering a rebate good for a $299 8GB iPod touch, as was first reported by AppleInsider last week.

"We've already ordered lots of iPod touches to be ready for [this] week," said one person familiar with the promotion. That person added that students will also have the option to apply the $299 credit towards the purchase of a higher capacity player, namely the $399 16GB iPod touch or a $499 32 GB iPod touch.

MacRumors is also confirming that a free 8GB iPod touch will be the highlight of the promotion, adding that students could alternatively elect to receive a $199 iPod nano for whatever reason.

The largest incentive previously offered by Apple came last year in the form of a free $199 4G iPod nano. However, the company was motivated this year to boost the value to the equivalent of its cheapest iPod touch as a surefire means to rapidly grow the install base of its multi-touch platform ahead of this month's App Store launch. The more iPhones and iPod touches in the hands of consumers, the larger the target audience for third party application developers.

In order to participate in the program, students will need to purchase a qualifying Mac -- MacBook, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iMac, or Mac Pro -- at the same time they purchase the 8GB iPod touch. Educational discounts are also applied as part of the promotion, reducing costs even further.

Official details are expected on Tuesday (tomorrow) morning. Previous Back-to-School promotions have run through the first half of September.

Update: The promo has now been announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 63
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Does anyone know how apple defines a student? My high school student would love to upgrade to a Mac, and as the Dad/IS guy at home, I would love it as well. (Way fewer issues)
  • Reply 2 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Does anyone know how apple defines a student? My high school student would love to upgrade to a Mac, and as the Dad/IS guy at home, I would love it as well. (Way fewer issues)

If you take adult education classes (or even just 1 class, any subject) you are a student also and you can get a student ID.
  • Reply 3 of 63
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    Quote:

You need to be enrolled at one of the universities, colleges or schools that Apple recognises, and you'll have to present your student card or your ID at the store (or online) to make a purchase with student pricing.

http://www.apple.com/education/hed/s...discounts.html

Jimzip
  • Reply 4 of 63
    1. Is this promotion going to go on all summer? More specifically, if I wait for the new Macbooks to come out sometime in July, will it still be going on?

2. Will we be able to exchange it for $299 of Apple store credit in general or only towards the purchase of a different ipod touch? I want to use it towards an iPhone!
  • Reply 5 of 63
    rawheadrawhead Posts: 90member
    Nwice. I'm looking to upgrade my Macbook sometime this year. If a compelling upgrade comes out before the end of this promo, I shall be very pleased ;-)
  • Reply 6 of 63
    This is great!!!! So glad I waited to get my iMac.

Now... does anyone know whether or not these promotions are available online only or at the apple stores as well?

thanks in advance!
  • Reply 7 of 63
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maximilian88 View Post

This is great!!!! So glad I waited to get my iMac.

Now... does anyone know whether or not these promotions are available online only or at the apple stores as well?

thanks in advance!

The promotions have been good at the stores in the past. As I recall, they charge you and you have to fill out the rebate slips and wait 4-8 weeks...
  • Reply 8 of 63
    dwr50dwr50 Posts: 4member
    It's too bad Apple doesn't offer promos to retired people on fixed incomes. I had to switch to Linux because Apples just cost too much money.

Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition, is my new computer.
  • Reply 9 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

1. Is this promotion going to go on all summer? More specifically, if I wait for the new Macbooks to come out sometime in July, will it still be going on?

2. Will we be able to exchange it for $299 of Apple store credit in general or only towards the purchase of a different ipod touch? I want to use it towards an iPhone!

1. These usually go into September. (The real downfall to waiting is that you end up really close to the holiday iPod refresh so your new iPod is not the latest and greatest before you even get the rebate back...)

2. I am with you there! I need a new laptop, but I think I am going to want an iPhone (I really want true GPS). Don't know if I would be able to swing both. My guess is no, though. I think they would have said iPhone if they were going to include it... One can hope, though!
  • Reply 10 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwr50 View Post

It's too bad Apple doesn't offer promos to retired people on fixed incomes. I had to switch to Linux because Apples just cost too much money.

Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition, is my new computer.

Have one of your grandkids "buy" it for you.
  • Reply 11 of 63
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Shopping Agreement

Who is Eligible To Purchase

The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

Parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

Purchase Quantity

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year

Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year

iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

The above purchases can be made either online, through an Apple Retail Store, or through your Apple Authorized Campus Store. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where your purchase is made. The Apple Software purchases above are only available through the online Apple Store for Education or through your Apple Authorized Campus Store.

Statement of Eligibility

I represent that I am a member of one of the defined groups above, eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Inc. are for the personal, education, and/or research use of a student, faculty, or staff member.
  • Reply 12 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Apple's student discount is only 10%. That isn't going to coem close to getting you to the Acer's price. The promo may lower the effective price, but you still pay for the machine, you just get an iPod out of it.

What you may want to do is buy a used Mac from eBay or Craig's List. You can get some good deals. You won't be getting the latest hardware, but you aren't getting that in the Acer either. If you really want OS X then that is the way to go, but try to get an Intel based system with Leopard if you can.
  • Reply 13 of 63
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

? a family member or friend who is going to school /college is fine, as I have purchased this way many times

Heck, find a student who needs a few bucks ?

Skip
  • Reply 14 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Apple's student discount is only 10%. That isn't going to coem close to getting you to the Acer's price. The promo may lower the effective price, but you still pay for the machine, you just get an iPod out of it.

What you may want to do is buy a used Mac from eBay or Craig's List. You can get some good deals. You won't be getting the latest hardware, but you aren't getting that in the Acer either. If you really want OS X then that is the way to go, but try to get an Intel based system with Leopard if you can.

This is much more useful advice... But I still like my solution!
  • Reply 15 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

… a family member or friend who is going to school /college is fine, as I have purchased this way many times

Heck, find a student who needs a few bucks …

If you buy online you don't need to have a student ID.
  • Reply 16 of 63
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

As you previously posted:

It sure seems like Apple has let quality drop out of it's business plan. They seem to be following Microsoft's plan of letting customers do the flaw finding, instead of there own developers. I'm sure glad I didn't buy a new Apple computer, and I won't be buying one until they solve their quality control problems. REF:http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...99#post1257199 Post # 2

I thought it was because you didn't like the quality.
  • Reply 17 of 63
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Shopping Agreement

Who is Eligible To Purchase

The following education individuals are eligible to purchase through the Apple Store for Education individuals:

Faculty or staff member of a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

Student currently attending or accepted into a public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

Parent purchasing on behalf of their child who is a student currently attending or accepted into public or private Higher Education Institution in the United States

Purchase Quantity

Faculty, Staff and Students purchasing from the Apple Store for Education Individuals will be allowed to purchase the following quantities of product per academic school year:

Desktop: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

Mac mini: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

Notebook: One (1) may be purchased per academic year

Display: A maximum of two (2) may be purchased per academic year

Software: A maximum of two (2) per software title may be purchased per academic year

Apple TV: There is no limit on the quantity of Apple TV purchases per academic year

iPod: There is no limit on the quantity of iPod purchases per academic year

The above purchases can be made either online, through an Apple Retail Store, or through your Apple Authorized Campus Store. Total product quantities remain the same regardless of where your purchase is made. The Apple Software purchases above are only available through the online Apple Store for Education or through your Apple Authorized Campus Store.

Statement of Eligibility

I represent that I am a member of one of the defined groups above, eligible to purchase and that the products being purchased direct from Apple Inc. are for the personal, education, and/or research use of a student, faculty, or staff member.

Also available if you qualify as a homeschool.
  • Reply 18 of 63
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    WOW!!!! This is gonna make all the students iNsane!!!

Who does this free stuff....only Apple
  • Reply 19 of 63
    surfratsurfrat Posts: 341member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

2. I am with you there! I need a new laptop, but I think I am going to want an iPhone (I really want true GPS). Don't know if I would be able to swing both. My guess is no, though. I think they would have said iPhone if they were going to include it... One can hope, though!

You know, I had never really given this question much thought (whether or not the iPhone would be included as part of the deal), but the more I think about it, the more it begins to make sense. They have a chance to really begin to build a gigantic user base and at the same time blow past that 10mil mark without even batting an eye.

Interesting...
  • Reply 20 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

WOW!!!! This is gonna make all the students iNsane!!!

Who does this free stuff....only Apple

Only Apple doesn't offer discounts around the holidays so they often lose marketshare to others. Especially to SanDisk in the PMP sector as they discount their devices up to 50%.