Report: 3G iPhone 22% thinner, better battery life

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Wired's Leander Kahney, arguably the most credible yet of those who've weighed in with alleged specs of Apple's upcoming 3G iPhone, is reporting the handset will be 22 percent thinner than its predecessor, not thicker as some earlier reports had suggested.

Citing "a programmer at a major software publisher," Kahney adds that the handset should also sport better battery life than the "up to 8 hours" of talk time advertised alongside its predecessor. It will also include GPS and twice the amount of NAND flash memory: either 16GB or 32GB.

What's more, Kahney's tipster claims Apple will allow subsidies on the new model as a means of attracting some of Research in Motion's existing and would-be Blackberry customers.

He points to an article by the UK's TimesOnline, which cites a UBS Investment Research analyst as saying the device could be available in Britain for as little as £100 (or ~$200) beginning in July.

Still, Kahney hedges his bets with a warning that he has not confirmed the integrity of the information offered up by his tipster.

AppleInsider is maintaining a running list of 3G iPhone-related rumor and news reports on its 3G iPhone topics page.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    Sounds good.

22 percent thinner is almost a quarter knocked off the thickness, that would be quite an accomplishment considering what is getting crammed inside.

Technology aye.
  • Reply 2 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post

Sounds good.

22 percent thinner is almost a quarter knocked off the thickness, that would be quite an accomplishment considering what is getting crammed inside.

Technology aye.

I hope this rumour isn't correct. I want more battery life.
  • Reply 3 of 113
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I hope this rumour isn't correct. I want more battery life.

Did you not read the part about having better battery life?

Even if you could fit a battery with longer battey in an iPhone with the same thickness as the current model, it might add more weight.
  • Reply 4 of 113
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Did you not read the part about having better battery life?

Even if you could fit a battery with longer battey in an iPhone with the same thickness, it might add more weight.

Sure did!

1) The current iPhone battery is poor for all day internet use.

2) This will be even poorer with 3G internet use.

3) Better doesn't imply good or great.

4) I want the battery life that is lost from reducing the size of an already small PMP/MID.
  • Reply 5 of 113
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    3G, 20% thinner, *and* better battery life?

Yeah, right.
  • Reply 6 of 113
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Maybe 22% thinner on the edges, but with tapered edges like the MacBook Air, so there's still room for stuffing the components in there.
  • Reply 7 of 113
    I think all the (fairly credible) rumors about the iPhone are true, because they're referring to two different models: the iPhone 2.0 and the new iPhone Nano.
  • Reply 8 of 113
    wonderkidwonderkid Posts: 28member
    ...I was in an O2 mobile phone shop talking to an allegedly very well informed sales chap whose name shall remain X in the city of Y (England) and he informed me that the forums and rumors are all a load of Z(!) and the iPhone will not even be available in the UK until December. But I don't believe him. Do you? After all, are Apple really willing to risk the UK market to the HTC Diamond, first generation Android and any new toys from Blackberry and Nokiums. Hmm?
  • Reply 9 of 113
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    I very strongly doubt the veracity of the claims on several grounds.

1. Steve was very worried about 3G's power draining, a problem that would result in A) more battery being placed in or B) lower battery life

2. To increase battery life in a 3G model, it would need a bigger battery. To knock off the size required to get to "22% thinner" would be analogous to taking out the entire touchscreen segment - I know because I have pulled the 1G apart. This doesn't even account for the EXTRA battery room required for more battery to Increase the life of the product.

3. Its not possible to get a battery the same size as it is into a smaller iPhone. There's just too much other hardware. OLED wouldn't make it happen, its still too thick with the touch sensor on the back.

All the other hardware, though still being there would mean the same chipspace if not a little more. There is simply no battery expansion room.

Unless Apple have found a wonderful new power source, I don't see the 22% happening.
  • Reply 10 of 113
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 674member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wonderkid View Post

...I was in an O2 mobile phone shop talking to an allegedly very well informed sales chap whose name shall remain X in the city of Y (England) and he informed me that the forums and rumors are all a load of Z(!) and the iPhone will not even be available in the UK until December. But I don't believe him. Do you? After all, are Apple really willing to risk the UK market to the HTC Diamond, first generation Android and any new toys from Blackberry and Nokiums. Hmm?

What's that, a mobile phone salesman who actually knew what he was talking about?..

.. no I didn't think so either!

• Reply 11 of 113
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I'm cynical. This sounds like a rumor generated to cause a stock drop when the REAL phone is revealed to be thicker. (We've seen pretty convincing case photos that MIGHT be real, showing it thicker/more rounded.)

Thinner AND more batter life AND GPS and 3G? Someday, yes, but within one year? Sounds too good to be true, so I think it is.

And while actually USING 3G batter life can be expected to be worse. That's the downside of 3G, but we've seen the setting that lets it be toggled.
  • Reply 12 of 113
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Right, because Apple decides to let mere store assistants know about future products. Even the store managers don't know until after the keynote speeches, apart from maybe getting a delivery of "don't open until Xpm on Yday" the evening before.

If any information came down, it is misinformation.
  • Reply 13 of 113
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:

Sure did!

PMP/MID.

In a year of watching comments about the iPhone, I have never seen anyone state 'battery life that supports all day internet use' as any sort of rational expectation.

That'll be nice some day, but at the moment I see browsing as an activity that one would expect to be 'as needed' and subject to reasonable battery expectations.
  • Reply 14 of 113
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Wired's Leander Kahney, arguably the most credible yet of those who've weighed in with alleged specs of Apple's upcoming 3G iPhone, is reporting the handset will be 22 percent thinner than its predecessor, not thicker as some earlier reports had suggested.

Citing "a programmer at a major software publisher," Kahney adds that the handset should also sport better battery life than the "up to 8 hours" of talk time advertised alongside its predecessor. It will also include GPS and twice the amount of NAND flash memory: either 16GB or 32GB.

What's more, Kahney's tipster claims Apple will allow subsidies on the new model as a means of attracting some of Research in Motion's existing and would-be Blackberry customers.

He points to an article by the UK's TimesOnline, which cites a UBS Investment Research analyst as saying the device could be available in Britain for as little as £100 (or ~$200) beginning in July.

Still, Kahney hedges his bets with a warning that he has not confirmed the integrity of the information offered up by his tipster.

AppleInsider is maintaining a running list of 3G iPhone-related rumor and news reports on its 3G iPhone topics page.

Oh, great... rumor inflation is setting in. In order to get the hits now, the rumor sites have to have some surprising new news, and start grasping at straws. By the time WWDC rolls around, that Steve is "only" announcing a new iPhone with a new operating system and SDK that has 3G and a bunch of new functionality with be a yawn because it doesn't have 2 years of battery life and a 1280x960 screen.
  • Reply 15 of 113
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member
    Quote:

the iPhone will not even be available in the UK until December.

This fits with the recent downgrading of Apple stock by an analyst who says there will be short supply of the chips Apple uses in the iPhone. Apple *wants* to release the iPhone worldwide next week and is sure going to try, but there may be supply constraints that will keep it from filling the retail channels until later this year. \
  • Reply 16 of 113
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I very strongly doubt the veracity of the claims on several grounds. ...

It's just a rumour so you may be right, but personally I don't think this particular rumour is that unlikely at all.

In the first place it completely "fits" with all the other rumours so far which all seem to be describing the same device. The best picture of this purported device we have so far is this:

[center][/center]

Which does indeed look like it's 22% thinner than a regular iPhone.

As far as 3G and battery life, we already know that the iPhone designers were waiting for a better more power efficient chipset before implementing 3G, so whatever 3G chipset is in there, it will of course be more power efficient than whatever chips were around last year when Steve Jobs was talking about it.

The battery in an iPod or iPhone is LiPoly which is formable into any shape and basically occupies whatever volume of empty space is left over when the thing is filled with electronics. So it depends not only on the size of the device, but the interior volume of the case, and the volume taken up by the electronics. They could also have a better battery technology than last year although I haven't heard anything along those lines myself.

There is also a rumour that the new iPhone is using an OLED screen which would also significantly reduce the power consumption.

Bottom line is that this rumour is totally *possible* but it's not worth being adamant either way as there is so much we *don't* know about the design that it's not worth arguing over. We will al find out next Monday anyway.
  • Reply 17 of 113
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Exactly, Booga. This is rumor inflation/stock manipulation. We saw it last year with the idiotic claims coming out of the Windroid analysts, who then quoted *themselves* as sources to be able to later claim "market disappointment" and tank the stock. Idiots.

Well, technically, the people who believe them are idiots. They're just scumbags.
  • Reply 18 of 113
    Unlike many of the rumor-mongering analysts who have clear financial dependence on all news apple, Leander Keaney is a JOURNALIST--with a decent reputation. His new book, Inside Steve's Brain shows how dedicated he is to the history and nuance of Apple. Why would he risk journalistic integrity just to throw another rumor on the pile?

When does the madness end?

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Steves-...2440531&sr=8-1
  • Reply 19 of 113
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Unless the iPhone is a bit wider / taller and they put parts and pieces on the sides of the thinner battery?

I don't think most folks would care if it was a bit taller / wider if it was thinner?

I think we're all kidding ourselves and we need to satr doing what I and others do with our D300 Nikon Digital camera and that is "Bring extra batteries" with us where ever we go.

Now what's the possibility it will be smaller, and thinner, and it's because of this, we were able to make the "All New & Exciting" Newton, iPad, iwrite, iwhatever it's going to be called ?

Skip
  • Reply 20 of 113
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:

Sure did!

2) This will be even poorer with 3G internet use.

3) Better doesn't imply good or great.

4) I want the battery life that is lost from reducing the size of an already small PMP/MID.

BUY A COMPUTER!!!!