The perfect WWDC 2008

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    @homenow@homenow Posts: 998member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRonin View Post

I think Apple needs to make the first years subscription to .Mac free with the purchase of a new Mac, US$30 with the purchase of an iPhone; and drop the renewal price to US$50 for all current & future subscribers.

If you purchase a new Mac down the road, you have the opportunity to use your free year for an extension of your current subscription, thus preventing having to start a whole new account.

Apple is getting a share of the monthly earnings from subscriptions for the iPhone as I recall, so I would say that an iPhone customer should expect a free service that adds value above the competitors to the iPhone. Having them pay $20-99/year extra for that would make it less attractive to me as a consumer. I personally don't see the value in .Mac in its current form, but syncing of information from my computer to the iPhone while on the road seems like a good start.
  • Reply 42 of 71
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

You mean the former two?

No, I mean the latter 2. That's why I put them in italics.
  • Reply 43 of 71
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

No, I mean the latter 2. That's why I put them in italics.

You said the latter two. The items were listed in this order:

Quote:

iPhone 2.0 software and possibly hardware

Either MacBooks (Pro) or new Cinema displays

10% possibility of new .Mac service.

Latter means:
    • situated or occurring nearer to the end of something than to the

• denoting the second or second mentioned of two people or

So by saying the latter two, your referring to "Either MacBook (Pro) or New Cinema displays" and "10% possibility of new .Mac service."

If you were to have said, "the former to" you would have been referring to "iPhone 2.0 software and possibly hardware" and "Either MacBook (Pro) or new Cinema displays."

Former in this situation means:
    • denoting the first or first mentioned of two people or

• Reply 44 of 71
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    I think we're going to see demos of a lot of iPhone apps. And I mean a LOT.
  • Reply 45 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rezwits View Post

I just can't believe no one seems to think 802.11n for the iPhone is just as important 3G, I almost don't even want to buy the new one when it comes out unless it has 802.11n

802.11n isn't important for the iPhone at all. No internet service provided through wireless is fast enough to utilize the speed of 802.11n and better range isn't an helpful since BOTH the router and the receiver has to be 802.11n in order for the range to be increased. Most wireless is current NOT 802.11n. Also, there may be some restrictions on mobile phones/devices regarding a non-ratified standard. The only current advantage of 802.11n is with networking and home-server features like Time Capsule or Apple TV which require large amounts of bandwidth. Apple's introduction of 802.11n was solely based on their future plans with Apple TV, Time Capsule and other similar devices.
  • Reply 46 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think we're going to see demos of a lot of iPhone apps. And I mean a LOT.

Sure, they have to steal back some of the thunder from the Android demo now.
  • Reply 47 of 71
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:

802.11n isn't important for the iPhone at all. No internet service provided through wireless is fast enough to utilize the speed of 802.11n and better range isn't an helpful since BOTH the router and the receiver has to be 802.11n in order for the range to be increased. Most wireless is current NOT 802.11n. Also, there may be some restrictions on mobile phones/devices regarding a non-ratified standard. The only current advantage of 802.11n is with networking and home-server features like Time Capsule or Apple TV which require large amounts of bandwidth. Apple's introduction of 802.11n was solely based on their future plans with Apple TV, Time Capsule and other similar devices.

This is true.

Even 802.11g has a max speed greater than most consumer broadband speeds in the U.S. ...sadly.
  • Reply 48 of 71
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

You said the latter two. The items were listed in this order:]

Yes, and read again what he wrote:

Quote:

The .Mac is the more likely of those latter 2 by far.

Of. Not than. He was correct.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Zing!
  • Reply 50 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Thankyou, yes
  • Reply 51 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Thankyou, yes

Ouch. I read that through every time and for some reason I was always thinking than. My bad!
  • Reply 52 of 71
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    Did anyone else catch that he said 120 hertz for the TV screens?

As far as I know, LCDs do not have refresh rates, since nothing is continuously scanning across as in CRT monitors. LCDs have response time, instead of refresh rates (which is measured in hertz)
  • Reply 53 of 71
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

I just can't believe no one seems to think 802.11n for the iPhone is just as important 3G, I almost don't even want to buy the new one when it comes out unless it has 802.11n

Than this is for you.

New BlackBerry® Device

Every BlackBerry Smartphone Has A Full QWERTY Keyboard. Available Now!
  • Reply 54 of 71
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:

Ouch. I read that through every time and for some reason I was always thinking than. My bad!

S'okay, I had to read it twice to get it too.
  • Reply 55 of 71
    Quote:

No problem mate
  • Reply 56 of 71
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    Quote:

I'm with you rezwits-- should be in the MacMini too.
  • Reply 57 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JakeTheRock View Post

Did anyone else catch that he said 120 hertz for the TV screens?

As far as I know, LCDs do not have refresh rates, since nothing is continuously scanning across as in CRT monitors. LCDs have response time, instead of refresh rates (which is measured in hertz)

Refresh may not have been the correct term, but the screen is written to at twice the normal LCD rate of 60 Hz. this is becoming common amongst better LCD Tv's.

My Samsung LED projection Tv is also written to at 120 Hz.
  • Reply 58 of 71
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    As we're talking about possible entries at the ADC, I would like to, again, present the possibility of Nehalem Mac Pro's making a showing.

What the percentage is, I can't say, but new evidence that they are pretty much, if not entirely, ready is at hand at Computex. Numerous working Nehalem boards were on display at Intel's booth, including a number from Intel themselves.

This is tantalizing. Read down to the end, after the photos:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...008-great-wall

While AnandTech says that Nehalem will be released in the fall, it seems to be ready now, and as Apple has received new product early...
  • Reply 59 of 71
    iqatedoiqatedo Posts: 1,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

As we're talking about possible entries at the ADC, I would like to, again, present the possibility of Nehalem Mac Pro's making a showing.

What the percentage is, I can't say, but new evidence that they are pretty much, if not entirely, ready is at hand at Computex. Numerous working Nehalem boards were on display at Intel's booth, including a number from Intel themselves.

This is tantalizing. Read down to the end, after the photos:

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquir...008-great-wall

While AnandTech says that Nehalem will be released in the fall, it seems to be ready now, and as Apple has received new product early...

Perhaps a '1/2 Mac Pro' tower too?

Single 45nm processor, 8 core (OK, 4 would do), 3.6GHz.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    Well the full power mac with 2 cpus will need 6 dimms to get the max ram use.

Also with the 3 channel set up will make 4 dimm systems bad so 1 cpu mac system better have 6 ram slots. With 2 x16 and 1 x4 pci-e slot.