Apple TV and energy

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Has anyone here noticed that their monthly electricity bill is higher because of their Apple TV? Since purchasing my Apple TV a few months back, I see that my electricity bill is higher.

Does the ATV go into some sort of sleep mode or reduced power mode?

TIA

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    I don't believe that it does automatically so it will be able to sync. You can place it in sleep mode by holding down the play button for several seconds.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

I don't believe that it does automatically so it will be able to sync. You can place it in sleep mode by holding down the play button for several seconds.

Even then the Hard Drive is still spinning and the fan is still working.

In fact all that happens is that the Apple TV sends out a black signal to the TV.

It consumes no less power when in 'sleep' mode than it does when not in 'sleep' mode.

Just feel how warm the Apple TV is when in sleep mode, all that heat is your electricity being used.

Ian
  • Reply 3 of 11
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Even then the Hard Drive is still spinning and the fan is still working.

In fact all that happens is that the Apple TV sends out a black signal to the TV.

It consumes no less power when in 'sleep' mode than it does when not in 'sleep' mode.

Just feel how warm the Apple TV is when in sleep mode, all that heat is your electricity being used.

Ian

Thanks for the responses guys. As I assumed. I watched my electricity bill go up since I have had this thing. I do not see why Apple didn't think to put the damn thing to sleep when not in use. One press on the play button wakes it up. We are not talking rocket science here. Oh, my bad. This is another feature.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Yeah... this especially sucks since OSX lends for such quick awake from sleep on the laptops...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Thanks for the responses guys. As I assumed. I watched my electricity bill go up since I have had this thing. I do not see why Apple didn't think to put the damn thing to sleep when not in use. One press on the play button wakes it up. We are not talking rocket science here. Oh, my bad. This is another feature.

How much higher is your bill? You could put it on a separate power stripand switch it on and off if it's that big of a problem.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by k squared View Post

How much higher is your bill? You could put it on a separate power stripand switch it on and off if it's that big of a problem.

I thought of this. Hell, I could save the money from the cost of the strip and simply unplug it. I was just wondering if Apple had considered putting in a "REAL" sleep function that turns down power consumption. My electricity bill rose about 35? after I bought this thing.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Quote:

I thought of this. Hell, I could save the money from the cost of the strip and simply unplug it. I was just wondering if Apple had considered putting in a "REAL" sleep function that turns down power consumption. My electricity bill rose about 35? after I bought this thing.

Not really a 'green' device then. Al Gore won't be happy about that...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    k squaredk squared Posts: 608member
    Quote:

What!! Am I understanding that correctly? Your bill rose around $54 (US) in a month because of an appleTV? Holy shit that sounds high. That's like running an air-conditioner for a month.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:

What!! Am I understanding that correctly? Your bill rose around $54 (US) in a month because of an appleTV? Holy shit that sounds high. That's like running an air-conditioner for a month.

I'm gonna have to call shenanigans on him. My Apple TV has little effect on my power bill. My last bill was $36.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Yep. Mine was $34...the lowest bill ever--so, does that mean that Apple TV effectively reduces electric bills?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:

That what I did also.

I wonder did the OP consider that in the summer one tends to run the hotwater heater more often?

guess it might be a new flat/house

unless he has a japanese homeless woman living in a cupboard that he doesn't know about?

It DOES happen sometimes