Apple backs out of Apple Expo, but Paris store coming

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple appears to have changed its mind about attending this year's Apple Expo in Paris, France but is pushing ahead with plans to open an elaborate flagship shop in one of the most trafficked areas of the capital city.

Apple out of Apple Expo?

The French-language MacGeneration, which issued reports on both matters this week, notes that the Apple Expo website suddenly makes no mention of the Mac an iPhone maker as an exhibitor at this year's conference, scheduled to run September 17 - 20.

That wasn't always the case, according to the report. As recently as last week, the Apple Expo site was said to have listed Apple as the register of two of the conference's largest exhibition booths, or the same floor spaces it occupied last year.

Although the spaces once designated to Apple are now marked "reserved," MacGeneration claims to have it on good measure that Apple has indeed withdrawn from the conference. A statement from show organizers is expected within the week, according to the report.

Apple Expo was once the world's largest Apple trade conference, attracting more than 90,000 attendees a year during its prime. However, Apple's commitment to the show has waned over the past few years, with chief executive Steve Jobs canceling a keynote appearance in 2005 due to illness then failing to make up for it the following year.

Attendance fell to 54,000 last year as Apple, facing last minute delays in launching the iPhone locally, was unable to show off the touch-screen handset during the conference.

"This is a sad news because this year is the 25 birthday of Apple expo," MacGeneration's Christophe Laporte told AppleInsider. "[It's] really hard to imagine an Apple expo next year."

Apple flagship @ Carrousel du Louvre

In what may be some solace to French Apple enthusiasts, a second report adds that Apple has just received the go-ahead from regulators to open an Apple Store at*Carrousel du Louvre in Paris. Though no timeframe was specified, the flagship store will reportedly span some 7,700 square feet over two floors.

The Louvre, a historic monument and one of the world's most visited museums, attracts over 9 millions visitors each year, 40 percent of which are said to be tourists.

Still, Apple is more than a year late in tackling the French retail market based on a series of comments from members of its leadership over the years. In 2005, Jobs was reported to have told a visitor at the Apple Store Regent Street in London that the company would open its first store in France in 2007.

It's believed Jobs was referring to plans to open an outlet along Champs Elysées, the most prestigious and broadest avenue in Paris. Senior Vice President of Apple Retail, Ron Johnson, has previously named Champs Elysées one of five "key locations" in the world where he said Apple needed to operate a retail store. It's unclear why plans for the store fell through.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    Ahh, just another example of Apple showing the developer community (& overseas users) what they think of them.

No, that is not sarcasm but, yes, it is cynicism.

-Clive
  • Reply 2 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Doesn't seem like there's a good enough reason to be there, so no love lost...
  • Reply 3 of 26
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    One could be forgiven for getting the impression that Apple and it's CEO don't give much of a stuff about Europe. Talk about putting in the minimum amount of effort.
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

One could be forgiven for getting the impression that Apple and it's CEO don't give much of a stuff about Europe. Talk about putting in the minimum amount of effort.

Can you blame 'em? There's no market of billions of people looming on the horizon to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for high-end MacPros, but there is such a market for iPhones. Gee, I guess it makes business sense after all.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

From what I've seen, Europeans always prefer products made in EU over product made elsewhere even if it means getting less for the money. I think this is good for EU economy and growth.

Only if Americans can do the same!!
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

From what I've seen, Europeans always prefer products made in EU over product made elsewhere even if it means getting less for the money.

Exactly what sort of products did you have in mind?
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Can you blame 'em? There's no market of billions of people looming on the horizon to shell out tens of thousands of dollars for high-end MacPros, but there is such a market for iPhones. Gee, I guess it makes business sense after all.

Yes, the same sort of sense that decided the US model for iPhone sales would be appropriate for Europe.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Yes, the same sort of sense that decided the US model for iPhone sales would be appropriate for Europe.

Well, there you go. They don't understand Europe, so that market is dead to them.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:

From what I've seen, Europeans always prefer products made in EU over product made elsewhere even if it means getting less for the money. I think this is good for EU economy and growth.

The British economy (locally made food products especially) seems fairly robust. Scotland-mineral water FTW!! EU cars kick butt too. Nice to see tons of Audis and BMWs around. Honestly I have no idea how Europe still produces and profits from British and EU stuff with so much insane competition from around the world. Perhaps domestic EU loyalty is responsible.

Quote:

The iPhone is a start. However long-term, things will depend on the Mac. However as I have postulated before, all growth is simply now what Apple might find sustainable. It has a lot to face up to on the US side alone even if there are enormously, apparently juicy, global markets waiting...

Quote:

Well, Regent Street UK Apple Store is quite the beacon for Europe, but that's UK. A nice France store would be cool.
  • Reply 10 of 26
    bottaccobottacco Posts: 1member
    Quote:

I don't know why you make such an statement, but I think you are completely wrong. I am Spanish and I buy the best product I can find for what I want to do (if my money can buy it, of course). These days the problem is taxes... if I buy something from eBay or Amazon in the US, I will have to pay quite a bit in taxes, but if I can find it in eBay or Amazon "co.uk" then it is cheaper. I still buy many things from the US, not only now that the dollar is cheap for us, but also when it was all the other way around.

Another problem has to do with voltage and other ISO standards that differ from the US to Europe. I would love to buy many home automation gadgets to control my house from my Mac, but they are only for 110-120 volts... and the variety of those available for 220v is almost ridiculous.

By the way, do you buy anything from Europe?

I hate all this situations. Aren't we supposed to live in a globalized world? Then let me buy whatever I want from the place that can serve it to me... because sometimes there is no way to find an specific product in Europe.

And politically speaking this situation is even worse. French people don't like Spanish people so they would not buy a Spanish product if there is an American one (you could probably say the same the opposite way, but I am Spanish and I have bought many Sagem ISDN cards and other French technology). We speak different languages and we have really different customs, so the idea of "Europeans protect their market" doesn't hold up in the real world.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

A nice France store would be cool.

I can just imagine the snooty French "Geniuses" at Apple Store Paris...
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Well, Regent Street UK Apple Store is quite the beacon for Europe, but that's UK. A nice France store would be cool.

The population of the EU is about 490 milliion.

Only 60m of those are in the UK. Bit of a mistake to put your 'beacon' store for Europe on an island off the coast if you ask me ;-)

Germany - with 82m, and relatively accessible, being on the mainland - might have been a more appropriate location.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    nanoakronnanoakron Posts: 126member
    Quote:

The population of the EU is about 490 milliion.

Only 60m of those are in the UK. Bit of a mistake to put your 'beacon' store for Europe on an island off the coast if you ask me ;-)

Germany - with 82m, and relatively accessible, being on the mainland - might have been a more appropriate location.

As a person who lives just next to London, I agree entirely.

Forget this overpriced windy shipping-lane island.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Quote:

NO there is just 450 Mio Europeans (EU27) with a very strong Euro - but never mind. Just carry on chasing Mister Wong.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    Quote:

Apple is going to Munich (well they are based there anyway) but yeah. Talk about ignoring a strong economy.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freelander51 View Post

NO there is just 450 Mio Europeans (EU27) with a very strong Euro - but never mind. Just carry on chasing Mister Wong.

The point (which you seemed to have missed entirely) is that there is a huge worldwide demand for computers disguised as phones (aka iPhone) versus computers in general. The market for phones outpaces computers by a very, very large margin. The demand for phones is very high in every market, not just Asia, not just Europe.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bottacco View Post

I don't know why you make such an statement, but I think you are completely wrong. I am Spanish and I buy the best product I can find for what I want to do (if my money can buy it, of course). These days the problem is taxes... if I buy something from eBay or Amazon in the US, I will have to pay quite a bit in taxes, but if I can find it in eBay or Amazon "co.uk" then it is cheaper. I still buy many things from the US, not only now that the dollar is cheap for us, but also when it was all the other way around.

Another problem has to do with voltage and other ISO standards that differ from the US to Europe. I would love to buy many home automation gadgets to control my house from my Mac, but they are only for 110-120 volts... and the variety of those available for 220v is almost ridiculous.

By the way, do you buy anything from Europe?

I hate all this situations. Aren't we supposed to live in a globalized world? Then let me buy whatever I want from the place that can serve it to me... because sometimes there is no way to find an specific product in Europe.

And politically speaking this situation is even worse. French people don't like Spanish people so they would not buy a Spanish product if there is an American one (you could probably say the same the opposite way, but I am Spanish and I have bought many Sagem ISDN cards and other French technology). We speak different languages and we have really different customs, so the idea of "Europeans protect their market" doesn't hold up in the real world.

I buy few things from Europe. I owned a BMW and Mercedes Benz few years back. Almost half of what I have back home came from Europe because it is 240V. Unfortunately, we are still not living in a globalized world where goods supposed to cost almost the same not 50 to 100% higher from country to another. I used to travel to Europe every year even before the EU formed and I rarely seen American cars, American clothing stores, and electronics.

check out the recent lawsuit by US against EU.
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Quote:

I buy few things from Europe. I owned a BMW and Mercedes Benz few years back. Almost half of what I have back home came from Europe because it is 240V. Unfortunately, we are still not living in a globalized world where goods supposed to cost almost the same not 50 to 100% higher from country to another. I used to travel to Europe every year even before the EU formed and I rarely seen American cars, American clothing stores, and electronics.

check out the recent lawsuit by US against EU.

You won't find many American made cars in Europe because they are generally completely unsuitable for conditions here or are out of sync with local aesthetics. Clothing - don't think I'll go there. Plenty of US electronics to be found, much of it manufactured by local subsidiaries, but increasingly made in China these days. In fact vast quantities of goods on sale in Europe are made in China.

Vast quantities of Japanese made goods are sold here as well from electronics to cars.

I drive a Japanese car myself.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    charelcharel Posts: 93member
    Quote:

You won't find many American made cars in Europe because they are generally completely unsuitable for conditions here or are out of sync with local aesthetics. Clothing - don't think I'll go there. Plenty of US electronics to be found, much of it manufactured by local subsidiaries, but increasingly made in China these days. In fact vast quantities of goods on sale in Europe are made in China.

Vast quantities of Japanese made goods are sold here as well from electronics to cars.

I drive a Japanese car myself.

Apple products are not made in the US. They are made in Asia as are many products sold in both the US and Europe. As for cars, I see many Fords, Opels made by US firms on our roads. The whole issue of chauvinism is moot.

Apple seems to neglect the huge European market for all its products by its ridiculous pricing policy, its lack of advertising and general absence of Apple stores in the major centers.

As an example of the price issue, take the Apple TV. In the US the price was dropped from $299 to 229. That is Euro 195 to 150. I thought that had to do with iTunes offering TV and Films for sale. Now they offer that in France as well but the price of the Apple TV is stuck at Euro 299. That is $465. The company will have to spend more on increasing their market share, but the rewards are there as well.

All it takes is the will.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

You so crazy!