Apple Back-to-School promo to offer free 8GB iPod touch

Comments

• Reply 41 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

I wish I had known that apple was going to offer this. I just bought a new iMac . Is it possible to get the iPod Touch if you got your computer less than two weeks ago?

There is a restocking fee, but if you bring it in they will probably let you do it without the restocking fee since you are jsut taking your same system back. The manager would have to be a real cock to say no.
  • Reply 42 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There is a restocking fee, but if you bring it in they will probably let you do it without the restocking fee since you are jsut taking your same system back. The manager would have to be a real cock to say no.

I bought it online though. I just looked at apple's return policy, the restocking fee would be about $140 plus shipping.

I wish there was an Apple store in South Dakota . I guess South Dakota is just too small for an apple store.
  • Reply 43 of 63
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diskimage View Post

I bought it online though. I just looked at apple's return policy, the restocking fee would be about $140 plus shipping.

I wish there was an Apple store in South Dakota . I guess South Dakota is just too small for an apple store.

That is harder, but if you give them a call but you are probably stuck.
  • Reply 44 of 63
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dwr50 View Post

It's too bad Apple doesn't offer promos to retired people on fixed incomes. I had to switch to Linux because Apples just cost too much money.

Acer Aspire 5315-2153, $348 Walmart Special,Mandriva Linux 2008.1 Spring Edition, is my new computer.

definitely check out craigslist or ebay nex time. Although Macs have better resale values than regular PCs, they depreciate QUICKLY just like most other technology products. I bet you could find an original Intel Core Duo Mac Mini for a decent price! It's a great little machine! Although I have to say that Linux is a great alternative. It's definitely not as polished as OSX, but once you get the hang of it, there is a lot of great free software! Hopefully you aren't scared of the command line though!

If I end up very rich some day, I am definitely going to sponsor large Mac purchases for all who need a computer but can't afford one. They should really make a cheap 10-11" macbook or 15" iMac for developing markets, sort of like their old education eMacs...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SurfRat View Post

You know, I had never really given this question much thought (whether or not the iPhone would be included as part of the deal), but the more I think about it, the more it begins to make sense. They have a chance to really begin to build a gigantic user base and at the same time blow past that 10mil mark without even batting an eye.

Interesting...

To me, it makes much more sense to only allow the rebate to apply to iPod touches. They know that many people who end up with an iPod touch will eventually end up getting an iPhone at some point. This will occur because they will not only be impressed with the device, but they will also become accustomed to the interface. Not to mention that after the launch of the App store, I'm sure many also will become dependent on unique 3rd party software that gets developed for iPhone OS.

So, in other words, Apple will be spending roughly $125 (or whatever the component/production cost of the 8GB iPod touch is) per Mac sale. However, giving away iPod touches:

* Increases sales of high-margin Mac computers by luring potential switchers over, and also pushing existing Mac owners "over the edge" toward upgrading.

* As a direct consequence of the increased Mac sales, it increases sales of Apple sold software applications, OS upgrades, and Hardware accessories.

* Increases sales of 3rd party software from the iTunes App store

* Increases sales of Apple sold iPod accessories

* Creates many potential iPhone customers by introducing them to the Mobile OSX interface and software platform

In other words, I think this is an excellent promotion that should easily result in a net profit increase over the long term taking into account all these "side-effects" of the promotion.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

What bums me out about this news is that it seems to imply that the price of iPod Touches won't be coming down, if the rebate that will be given is for $299.

I was hoping that, with the price of flash memory coming down, Apple would drop the price of Touches. I'd like a 32GB version to keep all my music on, but $500 is too steep. If they can drop it to $400 I'd buy. Guess I'll have to wait and see what happens 'round Christmastime.

Yeah, I doubt they would move the price right before the promotion. However, I'd be willing to bet that by the end of the summer, they get rid of the 8GB and move the higher capacity units into the 299 and 399 price points.
  • Reply 45 of 63
    citycity Posts: 522member
  • Reply 46 of 63
    Not meaning to sound stupid but im guessing that this promotion will be world wide, not only for those in the US?
  • Reply 47 of 63
    johnbprjohnbpr Posts: 60member
    the macbook air. along with the mac mini was SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDED from the educational rebate progam in australia this february /march.
  • Reply 48 of 63
    j8d4roonj8d4roon Posts: 6member
    is this promo also going to be available in europe?

does anyone now if last year's promo was?

(i'm only following apple for the last few months)
  • Reply 49 of 63
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    The Promo is up.

iPod Classic not included. I wonder how many pages of bitching and claims that apple is a horrible company that screwed so and so over that will produce?

http://www.apple.com/promo/pdf/BTS08_TCS.pdf
  • Reply 50 of 63
    This is not just about a free iPod people! This is about market share and destroying Zune. College students are an independent thinking group that will drive a change in market share. My 13-year old niece is one of the lucky students to get Macbooks from school. She LOVES her Macbook and never likes to use her family's 2 Windoze PCs. Had she not been given the Macbook in school, she may have never come to be enlightened. PLUS, now my sister, her mother, is strongly leaning towards a Macbook for her next computer. The free iPod is a HUGE lure to students who might not otherwise get a Mac for school.

Equally important, giving away iPods may pressure Microsoft to counter to help preserve Zune's market share and further reducing their limited profits on Zunes (or go more negative if the case might be).
  • Reply 51 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by beakernx01 View Post

This is not just about a free iPod people! This is about market share and destroying Zune. College students are an independent thinking group that will drive a change in market share. My 13-year old niece is one of the lucky students to get Macbooks from school. She LOVES her Macbook and never likes to use her family's 2 Windoze PCs. Had she not been given the Macbook in school, she may have never come to be enlightened. PLUS, now my sister, her mother, is strongly leaning towards a Macbook for her next computer. The free iPod is a HUGE lure to students who might not otherwise get a Mac for school.

Equally important, giving away iPods may pressure Microsoft to counter to help preserve Zune's market share and further reducing their limited profits on Zunes (or go more negative if the case might be).

Certainly it's true that they are leveraging the popularity of iPods and the popularity of edu discounts, combined with the back-to-school summer computer shopping season to both drive sales of macs and extend the dominance of their iPod platform, and new mobile OS. Each goal feeds off the other.

I actually kinda doubt the Zune enters into Apple's calculus at all, other than the general idea of keeping the iPod in a dominant market position. They've been running this summer promo for I think just about as long as the iPod has existed. It's just plain good business.
  • Reply 52 of 63
    mathmath Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The Promo is up.

iPod Classic not included. I wonder how many pages of bitching and claims that apple is a horrible company that screwed so and so over that will produce?

So far no promo like this one in the US is up yet in Europe. Because I'm from Europe and I'm thinking of buying myself a new MB pro I'm very interested in this promo offer.

Does anybody know details of planned promos for Europe?

cheers
  • Reply 53 of 63
    pakuhnpakuhn Posts: 1member
    I just bought a new 2.5 MacBook Pro and customized it with a 200GB 7200 drive and glossy screen yesturday June 2nd. According to Apple's return policy they don't return customized products. Do you think Apple will still let me get the free iPod Touch promo. I purchased it through the online Apple education store with the free printer promo. Should I call them or goto a retail store? I live a few miles from a retail store.
  • Reply 54 of 63
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pakuhn View Post

Do you think Apple will still let me get the free iPod Touch promo.

No. One of the Ts&Cs is that the qualifying Mac and qualifying iPod have to be on the same receipt.
  • Reply 55 of 63
    gtihanigtihani Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pakuhn View Post

I just bought a new 2.5 MacBook Pro and customized it with a 200GB 7200 drive and glossy screen yesturday June 2nd. According to Apple's return policy they don't return customized products. Do you think Apple will still let me get the free iPod Touch promo. I purchased it through the online Apple education store with the free printer promo. Should I call them or goto a retail store? I live a few miles from a retail store.

I purchased a 24" iMac on Saturday, went to the Apple store on Tuesday. Asked the manager nicely and he let me return and repurchase my iMac without restocking fee along with an iPod Touch. The rebate check is already in the mail!

I think the key is to ask nicely and not demand for it. Technically, they don't have to give it to you...

Good luck!
  • Reply 56 of 63
    farah03farah03 Posts: 1member
    hi, i just wanted to ask if anyone knows if this offer is avaiable in the UK, and if yes for how long?

thanks!
  • Reply 57 of 63
    rebate applies to any ipod purchase be it a shuffle (you end up losing 200 dollars) to a 32 gb ipod touch (you pay the difference). i purchased an imac 14 days before i heard about this deal and they had no problem with me taking in my receipt and adding on a 16gb touch. it went smooth as silk because the gal at the store said they have a grace period for situations like mine.

there was no restocking fee or anything like that which has been suggested above. just a brand new 16gb touch for 100 dollars. now thats a good deal....
  • Reply 58 of 63
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deftones007 View Post

rebate applies to any ipod purchase be it a shuffle (you end up losing 200 dollars) to a 32 gb ipod touch (you pay the difference). i purchased an imac 14 days before i heard about this deal and they had no problem with me taking in my receipt and adding on a 16gb touch. it went smooth as silk because the gal at the store said they have a grace period for situations like mine.

there was no restocking fee or anything like that which has been suggested above. just a brand new 16gb touch for 100 dollars. now thats a good deal....

It only applies to the touch and the nano. The classic and the shuffle are not included.
  • Reply 59 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    holy cannoli. my cousin just went and bought a new computer. he's starting college in the fall.

1. he showed them his registration receipt and they said he counted as a college student.

2. he got a discount on his macbook and could get any nano or touch. they said he'd get $299 back. he had grad money out the you know what so he got the 32 GB touch and paid the extra money with that (Mom and Dad were buying his computer for him as their gift)

3. there was a printer rebate going on so he chipped in the extra $30 for the wireless HP ($100 rebate)

4. there was a dotmac discount so he got that for $69 instead of $99. he wants to start a blog so he's going to use the space for that.

and he said his student status even worked on the extended warranty fees. the only thing he didn't get a discount on was the personal training membership he got for his grandparents who just got an iMac (and they got the printer rebate and the dotmac discount so apparently that's not just for students).

he said that the rebate is now online not by mail and they did it right there in the store. but he forgot to ask if he'd get a check or store credit. he promised to let me know
  • Reply 60 of 63
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

The Promo is up.

from what I heard they are trying to phase out the classic and the shuffle. so excluding them makes sense.