Apple on Apple Expo pullout; more on 3G iPhone shoot; .Mac outage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple has confirmed that it forgo this year's Apple Expo in Paris. Meanwhile, more details of the company's 3G iPhone commercial shoots are surfacing. And Monday's .Mac outage has added to speculation that a re-branded service may be imminent.

Apple says no need for Apple Expo

Apple has made it official that it will not attend September's Apple Expo in Paris via a statement published by the French-language Mac Plus.

"Year after year, Apple reduces its participation in trade shows because there often exists better means of getting in contact with our clients," the company said. "The growing popularity of the apple.com website permits us to directly touch over 100 million clients around the world in innovative ways."

The statement confirms a report published Monday by French Mac news site Mac Generation, which noted that original plans for conference called for Apple to occupy the two largest floor exhibits. In recent days, however, all mention of the electronics maker was removed from the floor plan.

Apple Expo has historically been held in September, which conflicts with a relatively new practice on Apple's part of holding its own stateside media events around the same time. Over the past three years, the company has used those events to usher in its holiday consumer electronics offerings (2005, 2006, 2007).

Apple Expo 2008 will go on without Apple, running September 17 - 20.

More rumors on 3G iPhone filmings

ValleyWag is running with a first-hand account from Apple's recent commercial shoot out in Los Angeles, which is interesting in that it corroborates several of the specifics first published by AppleInsider on Friday.

Among those details were that Apple built a full-scale replica of an Apple retail store interior for the shoot and that all non-essentials were forced to vacate the set when the product of honor was brought out.

In its report, however, ValleyWag adds that the set took two days to construct on the same Warner Bros. lot lot used to film the movie "The Perfect Storm." It added that film from the shoot will be shown off during Steve Jobs' opening keynote address at next week's Worldwide Developers Conference.

In speaking to AppleInsider, one person familiar with the filming claims that one of the scenes portrayed two CIA-type individuals trekking through the halls of a high tech building carrying an aluminum case. After a series of mundane corridors, they arrive at an Apple Store Genius Bar where they open to case to reveal the "product."

Given that Apple may have filmed several scenes on the LA set, there is no guarantee that any one particular scene will see the light of day, though the account is being published for the sake of interest and discussion.

Update: One producer and AppleInsider reader doubts the accuracy of ValleyWag's report in regards to the location of Apple's Los Angeles filming. He notes that the Warner Bros. stage used to film "The Perfect Storm" is actually stage 16, which is a massive water stage with a permanent hydraulic gimbal positioned in the center of the floor.

"There is no reason Apple would need all of that space and even if they did I'm not sure why they would need a floodable water stage with a huge gimbal in the middle of it, which makes rental time on that stage much more expensive than other dry stages at Warner Brothers Burbank," he writes.

Warner Bros. Production Stages; Stages 19 & 20 pictured.

On its own website, Warner Bros. says: "Stage 16, one of the tallest stages in the world, was raised foot by foot in 1935 to its current height of 98 feet (65 feet to the permanents) for a Marion Davies/Clark Gable film titled Cain and Mabel. Since that time, Stage 16 has been the home of memorable scenes: the features My Fair Lady , Camelot , The Music Man , The Old Man and The Sea , The Great Race , PT 109 , Key Largo , Ghostbusters , Jurassic Park , The Perfect Storm and Ocean's 13 to name just a few."

However, portions of the "Perfect Storm" were also filmed on a secondary stage, Stage 26, which could be the stage ValleyWag's sources were referring to, not the film's primary stage (16).

.Mac service outage

Apple's .Mac mail service dropped offline around 5:30pm Eastern time on Monday and did not return until about 6 hours later. This sparked a flurry of reader submissions filled with speculation that Apple may have been conducting tests associated with the much rumored rebranding of the service, which could potentially be announced as early as next week.

The online service has long been criticized for its lack of compelling features and high subscription fees. During last year's D5 All Things Digital conference, .Mac was singled out as a poor example of an Internet collaboration tool, an opinion shared by Steve Jobs.

"I couldn't agree more [with the assessment]," Jobs confessed. "And we'll make up for lost time in the near future."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    It was more like 12 hours for me. My outage started at noon.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    .mac mail is the only mail service able to generate excitement from its unbelievably long outages.
  • Reply 3 of 35
    cmason09cmason09 Posts: 11member
    The new commercial sounds incredible! The fact they had to "clear all non-essentials from the set" before they brought out the secret product blows me away; this is the most excited I've been since January 9th, 2007. It's all going to be answered come monday, just you wait.

My predictions for WWDC 08 are an updated iPhone to complement the new hardware, an updated and probably rebranded .mac (maybe as the "one more thing"), and - the only non-obvious prediction - some kind of update/upgrade to apple TV to allow games and whatnot. That's probably wishful thinking (actually it definitely is), but I wanted something there to break away from the obvious and generally-accepted predictions.

Also, we can be fairly certain that nothing will happen with [1] the iPod touch or the MacBooks, seeing as they just went up on the site in the new back-to-school promotion, [2] the MBPs or iMacs seeing as they were just updated, but past those they might all be fair game for something completely unexpected.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    One would assume Apple has a lab to test things without causing a deliberate outage. However an imminent launch may be stretching staff and resources thin and made an accident more likely and harder to recover from quickly. For example, pure speculation, if they've loaded the new service on what would otherwise be a backup server farm, the backup server farm is unavailable to mitigate an outage on the primary. Also employees are busy on the new thing.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It was more like 12 hours for me. My outage started at noon.

12 hours?! Unfortunately this is not the first time I have read stories on these rumor sites about "Power Outages" or "Slow Syncing" etc. Fortunately, since reading such stories, I was able to make the determination not to bother with a dotMac account. Not with the reliability issues it currently has. I hope if any recent reports about dotMac's overhaul is true... that reliability is one of the improved features. If not, at least make it free, so when there is a 12 hour outage, I can fall back on saying, "Well, at least it's free"...
  • Reply 6 of 35
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CMason09 View Post

The new commercial sounds incredible! The fact they had to "clear all non-essentials from the set" before they brought out the secret product blows me away; this is the most excited I've been since January 9th, 2007. It's all going to be answered come monday, just you wait.

My predictions for WWDC 08 are an updated iPhone to complement the new hardware, an updated and probably rebranded .mac (maybe as the "one more thing"), and - the only non-obvious prediction - some kind of update/upgrade to apple TV to allow games and whatnot. That's probably wishful thinking (actually it definitely is), but I wanted something there to break away from the obvious and generally-accepted predictions.

Also, we can be fairly certain that nothing will happen with [1] the iPod touch or the MacBooks, seeing as they just went up on the site in the new back-to-school promotion, [2] the MBPs or iMacs seeing as they were just updated, but past those they might all be fair game for something completely unexpected.

Im very excited. But from the ad to the WWDC08 I don't think Apple TV will be mentioned at all. I think its all gonna be iPhone and OS X. i would love apple to start a networking service like Facebook, but only Applefied =))))
  • Reply 7 of 35
    cmason09cmason09 Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iVlad View Post

Im very excited. But from the ad to the WWDC08 I don't think Apple TV will be mentioned at all. I think its all gonna be iPhone and OS X. i would love apple to start a networking service like Facebook, but only Applefied =))))

The odds of iFacebook are slim, but I would love if they gave Facebook a companion application built into OS X, or an application that makes all your social networking sites accessible without opening a browser. Sort of like the flickr uploadr, only the Facebook upload...book?
  • Reply 8 of 35
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    My prediction for the commercial:

The two CIA guys open up the briefcase containing the super secret high tech device at the genius bar.

The genius bar guy looks at the device and says something like: "but this isn't secret, everyone's got one of these" (or similar)

The two guys turn around and every person in the Apple store is using the device or has one.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    deapeajaydeapeajay Posts: 909member
    Who cares about 3G besides people in the city? Edge works just fine out here in Eastern Tennessee.

What I'm counting on is updated Cinema Displays. It's been 426 days since a revision!
  • Reply 10 of 35
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    I'm guessing the commercial just involves them carrying the briefcase various places before bringing it on stage to Steve so he can open it. He's not going to let some film steal his glory.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poke View Post

I'm guessing the commercial just involves them carrying the briefcase various places before bringing it on stage to Steve so he can open it. He's not going to let some film steal his glory.

Of course not. He is going to show the commercial after he announces the device.
  • Reply 12 of 35
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

One would assume Apple has a lab to test things without causing a deliberate outage. However an imminent launch may be stretching staff and resources thin and made an accident more likely and harder to recover from quickly. For example, pure speculation, if they've loaded the new service on what would otherwise be a backup server farm, the backup server farm is unavailable to mitigate an outage on the primary. Also employees are busy on the new thing.

And even if they didn't have a lab, they certainly wouldn't be taking a production email system offline deliberately during those hours. They would do it between 1 - 5 AM on a Sunday or something when it's unlikely anyone would be on. And I would like to think any planned outages would be announced ahead of time.

So no, sorry, but this was just another example of poor service for .Mac users. I've had an issue with contact syncing, and their response was along the lines of, "we are aware some users are having this problem, we hope to rectify it, but don't expect to hear from us again." So apparently they won't even let me know if/when the problem is fixed?? Pretty weak.

If anything, I take THAT is an indicator of an upgraded .Mac just around the corner. Perhaps they aren't really trying to fix the problem with the current system becuase an all new servcie is coming out soon.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    number9number9 Posts: 14member
    I think the commercial will feature the CIA types taking the case to various Apple stores around the world, opening them in front of the people at the genius bars, and only their reactions are shown, not the product. Finally at the end the phone will be shown and they will make some statement or there will be a tag line about the world wide availability of the iPhone, its new speed, and GPS. Makes sense with all of the non-US markets they have contracts with providers in now.

Of course it will be shown after Steve announces it. "now i'd like to show you the great commercial we've filmed for the new iPhone"
  • Reply 14 of 35
    jcatma61jcatma61 Posts: 37member
    damned if webmail didn't work though. Via iPhone no less.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    nortonnorton Posts: 9member
    Wiggin,

Its funny you mention it. I have had the same problem with the contacts not syncing for quiet some time now and the answer I get is we are aware of this, we are working on it, but we can't tell you when it will be fixed. When pressured that they are not providing me with the service that I paid for they threaten to cancel my account. That is more than just weak.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

And even if they didn't have a lab, they certainly wouldn't be taking a production email system offline deliberately during those hours. They would do it between 1 - 5 AM on a Sunday or something when it's unlikely anyone would be on. And I would like to think any planned outages would be announced ahead of time.

So no, sorry, but this was just another example of poor service for .Mac users. I've had an issue with contact syncing, and their response was along the lines of, "we are aware some users are having this problem, we hope to rectify it, but don't expect to hear from us again." So apparently they won't even let me know if/when the problem is fixed?? Pretty weak.

If anything, I take THAT is an indicator of an upgraded .Mac just around the corner. Perhaps they aren't really trying to fix the problem with the current system becuase an all new servcie is coming out soon.

• Reply 16 of 35
    mitch1984mitch1984 Posts: 55member
    1 Infinite Loop = Area 51
  • Reply 17 of 35
    casper3casper3 Posts: 14member
    I think that the "CIA-looking-guys" are just that - CIA guys. They simply gurad the 3G iPhone... Thoug I don't doubt that the commercial will be totally differen tthan previous ones, mainly due to the bigshot director. CAN'T WAIT!!!
  • Reply 18 of 35
    mrjoec123mrjoec123 Posts: 223member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

12 hours?! Unfortunately this is not the first time I have read stories on these rumor sites about "Power Outages" or "Slow Syncing" etc. Fortunately, since reading such stories, I was able to make the determination not to bother with a dotMac account. Not with the reliability issues it currently has. I hope if any recent reports about dotMac's overhaul is true... that reliability is one of the improved features. If not, at least make it free, so when there is a 12 hour outage, I can fall back on saying, "Well, at least it's free"...

Yesterday's outage was the first .Mac outage that effected me in over three years. That's a way better uptime rate than gmail, or the Blackberry outages that seem to happen every five or six months.

You hear a lot of complaints about outages, synching problems, etc. But you seldom hear from people who are happily using their service every day with no issues at all. .Mac is actually very reliable, compared to many other services out there. How many times has Twitter gone down in the last few months?
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrjoec123 View Post

Yesterday's outage was the first .Mac outage that effected me in over three years. That's a way better uptime rate than gmail, or the Blackberry outages that seem to happen every five or six months.

You hear a lot of complaints about outages, synching problems, etc. But you seldom hear from people who are happily using their service every day with no issues at all. .Mac is actually very reliable, compared to many other services out there. How many times has Twitter gone down in the last few months?

I agree... .mac is so reliable, that when it's down, people's first reactions are NOT, "oh, it's broken", but rather, "they must be upgrading it!"

That said, .mac IS slow. But I'd rather have a slower service that i find very reliable, than a super-fast service that may or may not be working when I want it. And since MOST of what it does happens in the background, the only time I really notice the speed is when actively accessing the iDisk. (And transferring large files there can be painful when your work-flow has to wait for the transfer!)
  • Reply 20 of 35
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

My prediction for the commercial:

The two CIA guys open up the briefcase containing the super secret high tech device at the genius bar.

The genius bar guy looks at the device and says something like: "but this isn't secret, everyone's got one of these" (or similar)

The two guys turn around and every person in the Apple store is using the device or has one.

more like:

Two CIA agents walk in and say " We gotta have one of your iphones cause what we are using is CHIT . " and the employee says " Yea , I know."