Apple set to serve up first builds of Mac OS X 10.5.4

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple, less than a week away from its annual developers conference, is preparing to begin widespread testing of Mac OS X 10.5.4, its fourth maintenance and security update to the Leopard operating system, AppleInsider has learned.

People familiar with the matter say developers could have the first pre-release copies of the update in their hands by week's end. It's almost a certainty that the beta software will surface by the company's developer's conference next week, they add.

While it's unclear exactly what enhancements Apple has planned for Mac OS X 10.5.4, it's possible the release could include tie-ins specific to the upcoming 3G iPhone and iPhone Software v2.0, or the much rumored rebranding of the company's .Mac internet services. Embedded support for the impending launch of Penryn-based Mac mini's is also likely.

Apple just recently released Mac OS X 10.5.3 following more than two months of internal development. The mammoth update weighed in at over 420 megabytes and packed well over 200 bug fixes. However, it left much to be desired for users experiencing graphics glitches on their Mac notebooks and professionals who rely on Adobe's Creative Suite 3.0.

Specifically, users of MacBooks and MacBook Pros report that redraw issues persist in key programs even after the 10.5.3 update, particularly in movie players or Apple's own iTunes app. The bugs often distort or block out entire window views as well as cause momentary blackouts in videos, all of which can be seen in this video.

Many of the affected users say the glitches first appeared after installing the "Leopard Graphics Update" that Apple released alongside Mac OS X 10.5.2 in February.

Meanwhile, visitors to support forums for both Adobe and Apple report that after upgrading to Mac OS X 10.5.3 they are inable to properly save files from InDesign, Photoshop, and other CS3 programs to a location on a remote server.

The CS3 files reportedly become corrupt, which prevents them from being recognized properly. Some users have report success in temporarily defaulting to "Save As" to register their changes rather than using the standard "Save" command.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    gastroboygastroboy Posts: 530member
    And maybe this time Apple will fix the disappearing Firewire for sure!
  • Reply 2 of 38
    irchsirchs Posts: 86member
    Leopard needs a functioning firewall!
  • Reply 3 of 38
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    The issues that persist with 10.5.3, though major, are still quite an upgrade from 10.5.2, and as such I am quite impressed with Apple at the current time. I understand the difficulties that users face, but if the problems existed with 10.5.2, then complaining about 10.5.3 makes no sense - it isn't directly relevant except to say that a fix for this issue isn't included yet. And that is fair enough considering the slog of fixes they did deliver (many of which were a problem for me). The CS3 problem? Very sad, but Apple can't test every other program to make sure it runs perfectly on it.

So I guess a bit of lee-way could be called for.
  • Reply 4 of 38
    hypoluxahypoluxa Posts: 694member
    Had the PS CS3 saving issue this weekend doing some work at a office saving to a server. It only happened on one Mac however, a 2nd gen G5.
  • Reply 5 of 38
    prismprism Posts: 75member
    Updated NVidia drivers for the 8800GT would be nice too.

I believe the drivers aren't really optimized yet.
  • Reply 6 of 38
    mwumwu Posts: 2member
    Airport seems on/off after update 10.5.3. I need to turn off and turn on Airport when Mac wake up from sleep on a MacPro.
  • Reply 7 of 38
    mr squidmr squid Posts: 58member
    Why is Apple ignoring the persistent problems with airport? There have been three updates to Leopard and none of them have fixed the problem of airport not recognizing about fifty percent of the networks that I encounter. This problem occurs on every laptop that I have Leopard installed on, including ones that that are direct from the factory. This is a serious problem and essentially renders Apple's laptop line useless because I can not reliably connect to wireless networks. I doubt that I will be buying any more Apple laptops.
  • Reply 8 of 38
    habuhabu Posts: 8member
    Maybe they will finally address some of the out standing email server issues, along with AD issues (at least i do not have to deal with that). But 10.5 in general as a server has been rocky from the start and has yet to stabilize. Maybe by 10.5.6 it will be fully usable...
  • Reply 9 of 38
    pairof9spairof9s Posts: 67member
    10.5.3 sucks @ss!! 10.5.4 can't get here soon enough. All 3 of my Macs at home and the 3 workstations here @ work have some sort of issues since updating. From the Photoshop catastrophe here at work to memory allocation and graphics glitches at home, 10.5.3 will disappear from our Macs soon, either via 10.5.4 or back to 10.5.2.

I've submitted as many of my issues as possible on the Apple support forums; a couple I've called in to Apple due to the Macs being under 90 days free support. But I've got no real help to date other than the always welcomed "reformat and reinstall" the entire system...oh, and the "remove 3rd-party RAM" crap!

I know I could be an isolated example but it sucks where I'm standing right now!

/

• Reply 10 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

Why is Apple ignoring the persistent problems with airport? There have been three updates to Leopard and none of them have fixed the problem of airport not recognizing about fifty percent of the networks that I encounter. This problem occurs on every laptop that I have Leopard installed on, including ones that that are direct from the factory. This is a serious problem and essentially renders Apple's laptop line useless because I can not reliably connect to wireless networks. I doubt that I will be buying any more Apple laptops.

If three maintenance releases of an operating system did not correct what you perceive to be a significant issue, you might consider that the problem is not as widespread as you think and may likely be a configuration issue on your part.

I travel worldwide and have my MBP (10.5.3) with me at all times. It has connected to every wireless network without exception. These include hotspots at cafes, hotel banquet rooms, corporate offices, bank networks and exchanges. I run a private equity fund and all of my staff carry Macs with Leopard. No problem at all anywhere we go.
  • Reply 11 of 38
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I have a MacBook Air and I travel a lot. I have not traveled since installing 10.5.3 but I did have difficulty connecting to some Wifi network when I was running 10.5.2.
  • Reply 12 of 38
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Is Apple getting too big, doing too many thing that it can't fix the basics?? Or is there a long history of this? I'm new as of Leopard.
  • Reply 13 of 38
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    I saw some graphics glitches (one time running the program, rebooting the machine made them go away) under .3 on Logic that I've never seen before. But even with that, 10.5.3 is still probably the best version of OSX I've ever used - it solved LOTS of big problems with Logic, people are raving about the 10.5.3 and Logic 8.0.2 combo on Apple's boards.

I hope they keep up the pace and concentrate hard on as many bug fixes as possible, it sounds like a few people still have some pretty big showstoppers.
  • Reply 14 of 38
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

The issues that persist with 10.5.3, though major, are still quite an upgrade from 10.5.2, and as such I am quite impressed with Apple at the current time. I understand the difficulties that users face, but if the problems existed with 10.5.2, then complaining about 10.5.3 makes no sense - it isn't directly relevant except to say that a fix for this issue isn't included yet. And that is fair enough considering the slog of fixes they did deliver (many of which were a problem for me). The CS3 problem? Very sad, but Apple can't test every other program to make sure it runs perfectly on it.

Oh but it's much more satisfying to rag on Apple after every update. Everyone has their pet issue which they assume everyone also has because they do. And rather than dig down, get some knowledge, do some troubleshooting to find out if the issue really is a bug or something else it's easier to bitch about Apple's quality assurance, rant in forums, threaten to switch to Windows and generally make irrational statements. And that's why Mac users are universally looked down upon and dismissed by the rest of the computing world as clueless know-nothings.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Looks like our Apple is turning into a PineApple. Growing too fast!

Im sure 10.6 will fix all problems, not only on a mac but in the world

Hey how come no-one talks about iTunes 8 being released on WWDC08??? Or Am I the only one?
  • Reply 16 of 38
    frenchsebfrenchseb Posts: 15member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Come on be serious, Apple can certainly not test every other program, but CS3 is not every other program. Running CS3 is often why people buy Macs in the first place, so fully testing an essential suite like CS3 does not sound like I am asking too much.
  • Reply 17 of 38
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by irchs View Post

Leopard needs a functioning firewall!

Why don't you kick off FTFFW thread and I will be the second post. I don't know what Apple was thinking with the new Firewall in Leopard. My only disappointment thus far.
  • Reply 18 of 38
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OptionTrader View Post

If three maintenance releases of an operating system did not correct what you perceive to be a significant issue, you might consider that the problem is not as widespread as you think and may likely be a configuration issue on your part.

I travel worldwide and have my MBP (10.5.3) with me at all times. It has connected to every wireless network without exception. These include hotspots at cafes, hotel banquet rooms, corporate offices, bank networks and exchanges. I run a private equity fund and all of my staff carry Macs with Leopard. No problem at all anywhere we go.

Me too. I have a rev b MBP and have never had problems connecting to wireless networks.

I think Mr. Squid needs a trip to the genius bar.
  • Reply 19 of 38
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    10.5.3 is now an issue for me. I have a 24" aluminum iMac and the update has rendered iMovie '08 useless. I get no video in the preview window, therefore I can not see what I'm editing.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    I sure hope they finally fix the dock and app switcher problems too. It's getting really annoying having to force quit just to see what's running.

On the other hand, I have yet to experience any problems with CS3 in Leopard. It works perfectly, rock solid.