Safari Uses More CPU than Blender?!?!

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello,

I have a Problem with safari its only just started to happen. but when I'm viewing more than 3 tabbed browsers The CPU usage skyrockets.

in Activity monitor.

blender 88.1%

safari 98.6%

then other programs like itunes adium etc running as well to take both cores to the max.

What I normally browse is

Gmail,

Hotmail,

Myspace,

Google,

Chacha,

and

some australian News Sites.

I'm curious What would be the cause of the high CPU usage?

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    It could be some horrible Flash ads but they only usually use CPU on the active window. You can try moving the Flash decoder out of the internet plugins folder temporarily and then see if Safari does the same.

Is Blender's 88% while rendering and is it set to use two threads?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

It could be some horrible Flash ads but they only usually use CPU on the active window.

Yes, it could be and this generally depends much on the content displayed, but I noticed that even with static pages open, Safari typically consumes 10-20% of CPU time on a MB 2.2 GHz, which is just too much.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    lorrelorre Posts: 396member
    Are there any WMV movies on any of the pages? If so, you might not have updated to the latest flip4mac which fixes a 100% CPU bug.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    name101name101 Posts: 79member
    @Marvin:

I pulled the flash plug-in out and the CPU restarted safari and loaded a bunch of pages and the CPU usage was at 15-20%

Blender is simulating physics and as far as i know that can only be done on one thread.

@Lorre:

I never heard of the flip4mac ill look it up.

@PB:

yeah.. i just got everything sorted on safari with all my RSS feeds and now im unhappy with it so i rather look for a fix than change web browsers again.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Name101 View Post

@Lorre:

I never heard of the flip4mac ill look it up.

Flip4Mac is the codec for viewing Windows Media on the Macintosh. Since dropping Windows Media Player for MacOS X, Microsoft officially sanctions the Flip4Mac codec as the replacement for WMP for MacOS X.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    name101name101 Posts: 79member
    ah.. ok

I don't believe i was looking for that..

I think it was the flash on the sites causing the lag.

Thanks

~Regards.