Japan's SoftBank to offer Apple's 3G iPhone in Japan

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
SoftBank Mobile Corp., Japan's fastest growing mobile operator, announced Wednesday that it has signed an agreement with Apple to offer the iPhone to its customers later this year.

Given that the carrier operates only 2G and 3G networks, the announcement further supports expectations that Apple is on the verge of introducing a new version of its handset built to run on so-called 3G networks.

SoftBank Mobile Corp, Japan's No. 3 wireless operator, recently beat all of its peers in annual net mobile subscriber growth for fiscal 2007, adding 2,676,500 subscribers thanks to its White Plan featuring lower fees.

As of April, SoftBank maintained a combined subscriber base of 18,779,100, which included 14,453,100 customers on its 3G network and 4,326,000 on its 2G network.

Talks between Apple and the carrier date back nearly two years to May of 2006 when rumors had the two companies collaborating on the then unreleased iPhone.

Apple had also been in talks with NTT DoCoMo, Japan's largest mobile wireless carrier, though an agreement between the two has not been announced.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 96
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    SoftBank Mobile currently operates both PDC (Japanese 2G) and W-CDMA (UMTS 3G) networks. SoftBank's 3G network is compatible with UMTS and supports transparent global roaming for existing UMTS subscribers from other countries outside Japan. Subscribers of GSM networks having roaming agreements with SoftBank Mobile can also roam on the SoftBank 3G network by using UMTS handsets.
  • Reply 2 of 96
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

SoftBank Mobile currently operates both PDC (Japanese 2G) and W-CDMA (UMTS 3G) networks. SoftBank's 3G network is compatible with UMTS and supports transparent global roaming for existing UMTS subscribers from other countries outside Japan. Subscribers of GSM networks having roaming agreements with SoftBank Mobile can also roam on the SoftBank 3G network by using UMTS handsets.

Simple translation: It only runs 3G GSM phones.
  • Reply 3 of 96
    nuttsnutts Posts: 25member
    I'm pretty stoked by this (glad it's not DoCoMo and it was never going to be AU), so it looks like I'll be moving from AU to Softbank. I was already considering that anyway for my next phone as so many people I know are now on Softbank.

I guess we just need to know what they mean by it coming out "later this year". A Reuters article even states "by the end of the year" which really leaves it open

Dammit I want it this month seemingly like the rest of the world! \
  • Reply 4 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

yes, and it will not be a japan only version... some people think that japan is absolutely incompatible with western phones... but in fact 3G is ok for european an US phones that talk UMTS... @ least with sofbank...
  • Reply 5 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nutts View Post

I'm pretty stoked by this (glad it's not DoCoMo and it was never going to be AU), so it looks like I'll be moving from AU to Softbank. I was already considering that anyway for my next phone as so many people I know are now on Softbank.

I guess we just need to know what they mean by it coming out "later this year". A Reuters article even states "by the end of the year" which really leaves it open

Dammit I want it this month seemingly like the rest of the world! \

mid-june should be ok... @ least in the US and europe... japan wcould be a little later...
  • Reply 6 of 96
    Quote:

yes and no... since 3G is UMTS, not GSM... GSM is the basis for GPRS/EDGE...
  • Reply 7 of 96
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Softbank or Docomo, as long as we get it!

Softbank uses Cameron Diaz for modeling, so we may be in for a treat.

I think they will announce it next week, but availability will be a month or two off.
  • Reply 8 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Softbank or Docomo, as long as we get it!

Softbank uses Cameron Diaz for modeling, so we may be in for a treat.

I think they will announce it next week, but availability will be a month or two off.

softbank just announced it on their website... that's why we're talking about this...
  • Reply 9 of 96
    Quote:

yes and no... since 3G is UMTS, not GSM... GSM is the basis for GPRS/EDGE...

Oh please, not this stupid argument again. It's GSM. That's what the type of phone is called, the family of standards. Just because the original standard was referred to as GSM makes it no less so.
  • Reply 10 of 96
    Quote:

softbank just announced it on their website... that's why we're talking about this...

I realize that.

http://www.softbankmobile.co.jp/en/n...8/20080604_01/

What I meant was I don't mind which carrier got it as long as one did, and that Apple will announce the 3G next week and set availability for later in the year. Sorry, I was typing fast.

My wife almost bought a new Docomo yesterday but I luckily talked her out of it. Now we we both switch to Softbank (currently AU).
  • Reply 11 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

I realize that.

http://www.softbankmobile.co.jp/en/n...8/20080604_01/

What I meant was I don't mind which carrier got it as long as one did, and that Apple will announce the 3G next week and set availability for later in the year. Sorry, I was typing fast.

My wife almost bought a new Docomo yesterday but I luckily talked her out of it. Now we we both switch to Softbank (currently AU).

i think when apple will announce the new iphone it will be available shortly after...

it's rumored that apple has been shipping 3G iphones in the millions to be able to meet demand mid-june...
  • Reply 12 of 96
    Quote:

i think when apple will announce the new iphone it will be available shortly after...

it's rumored that apple has been shipping 3G iphones in the millions to be able to meet demand mid-june...

I and many people hope you are right!
  • Reply 13 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

yes, and it will not be a japan only version... some people think that japan is absolutely incompatible with western phones... but in fact 3G is ok for european an US phones that talk UMTS... @ least with sofbank...

WE know they have the same type of radio as Europeans and half the US carriers, but what are teh frequencies for Softbank? Are they the same that AT&T and the EU use so Apple doesn't need to have separate models or some 6-channel device?
  • Reply 14 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

WE know they have the same type of radio as Europeans and half the US carriers, but what are teh frequencies for Softbank? Are they the same that AT&T and the EU use so Apple doesn't need to have separate models or some 6-channel device?

It'll be 2100Mhz. AT&T use 850 and 1900. Europe uses 2100. The iPhone will have 850 and 2100 at a minimum.

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands :

Band I (W-CDMA 2100) in Europe, Africa, Asia, Oceania (ITU Region 1) and Brazil (part of ITU Region 2)

Band II (W-CDMA 1900) in North America and South America (ITU Region 2)

Band IV (W-CDMA 1700 or Advanced Wireless Services) in the United States (T-Mobile USA)

Band V (W-CDMA 850) in America, Canada, parts of South America, parts of Asia (ITU Region 2 and ITU Region 3)

Band VIII (W-CDMA 900) in Europe, Asia, Oceania (ITU Region 1 and ITU Region 3)

Band XII - XIV were added for future use in the 700MHz spectrum auctioned in the United States and Canada in early 2008

So band I and V is a given. I'd say II is next most likely. Band VIII is next off the rank, but they'd be pushing to do a quad band 3G phone. XII should be supported at some stage, maybe next year, by AT&T. IV will basically never be supported because it's such a weirdo band and T-Mobile is small fry.
  • Reply 15 of 96
    Quote:

It'll be 2100Mhz. AT&T use 850 and 1900. Europe uses 2100. The iPhone will have 850 and 2100 at a minimum.

Will Apple use a Quad-band radio (800/850/1900/2100 or 850/1700/1900/2100 ) or will they use a Tri-band radio (850/1900/2100 or 850/1700/2100)?
    UMTS / HSDPA / HSUPA devices operate in the UMTS frequency bands or MHz:
    • 2100 (downlink) / 1900 (uplink) for Japan, Europe, Brazil and Asia (usually referred simply as W-CDMA 2100)

• 1900 / 850 (independently, for both the uplink and downlink) for Americas (US, Canada, Latin America and Brazil) (e.g. AT&T Mobility and Rogers Wireless)

• 2100 (downlink) / 1700 (uplink) for America (e.g. T-Mobile USA)

• 850 for Australia (Telstra NextG)

• 800 for Japan (NTT DoCoMo in rural areas)

Apple won't support T-Mobile USA's upcoming 3G network for several reasons, but will they support NTT DoCoMo in rural areas? Does anyone else use the 1700 or 800 bands?
  • Reply 16 of 96
    Quote:

i think it will be quad UMTS, just like the current iphone is quad GSM-band...

so that would make the 3G iphone 2x quad-band... quad GSM & quad UMTS...
  • Reply 17 of 96
    Quote:

Will Apple use a Quad-band radio (800/850/1900/2100 or 850/1700/1900/2100 ) or will they use a Tri-band radio (850/1900/2100 or 850/1700/2100)?
    UMTS / HSDPA / HSUPA devices operate in the UMTS frequency bands or MHz:
    • 2100 (downlink) / 1900 (uplink) for Japan, Europe, Brazil and Asia (usually referred simply as W-CDMA 2100)

• 1900 / 850 (independently, for both the uplink and downlink) for Americas (US, Canada, Latin America and Brazil) (e.g. AT&T Mobility and Rogers Wireless)

• 2100 (downlink) / 1700 (uplink) for America (e.g. T-Mobile USA)

• 850 for Australia (Telstra NextG)

• 800 for Japan (NTT DoCoMo in rural areas)

Apple won't support T-Mobile USA's upcoming 3G network for several reasons, but will they support NTT DoCoMo in rural areas? Does anyone else use the 1700 or 800 bands?

or quintuple... whatever the 5-way solution is called... i doubt apple would limit the 3G iphone to certain providers... so 4-way GSM and 5-way UMTS...
  • Reply 18 of 96
    So, Apple really doesn't want to sell many iPhones in Japan. They pick the smallest major carrier, one that has the worst/weakest reception coverage in the country ... although maybe this will push Softbank to do better.

*Sigh* Was hoping for KDDI (AU) really.
  • Reply 19 of 96
    Quote:

i doubt apple would limit the 3G iphone to certain providers...

Why not? They did it from the getgo and they still have revenue sharing in place. If they support the 1700 band then T-Mobile USA can hop on board (when they get their 3G network up) and thus lose revenue sharing to more unlocked iPhones on their network. Even before the 3G network is up people who prefer T-Mobile will wait it out, but if the next iPhone doesn't support 1700 then most will move to AT&T because 3G speeds weigh heavier than carrier loyalty for most people. (that is an assumption I've made based on people I know on T-Mobile USA)
  • Reply 20 of 96
    Quote:

i think it will be quad UMTS, just like the current iphone is quad GSM-band...

so that would make the 3G iphone 2x quad-band... quad GSM & quad UMTS...

Having more chips increases the size and the cost of the device. And aren't the chips for GSM quite a bit smaller than chips for UTMS? I think quad-band 3G at most. I have never even heard of a chip in production with more.