AT&T boosts 3G speeds by 20% ahead of 3G iPhone launch

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T announced Wednesday a more than 20 percent increase to the typical download speeds across its 3G wireless network and a 50 percent increase to typical upload speeds.

The mobile operator and exclusive provider for Apple's iPhone in the US said the upgrades are results of recent network enhancements, including the deployment of High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) technology across all existing 3G markets that is expected to be completed by the end of the month.

Customers on the network should now achieved download speeds between 700 Kbps (kilobits per second) and 1.7 Mbps (megabits per second), up from 600 Kbps to 1.4 Mbps. Meanwhile, upload speeds should jump to the 500 Kbps - 1.2 Mbps range, up from 500 to 800 Kbps.

The announcement comes just days before Apple is expected to take the wraps off its next-generation iPhone handset which is widely expected to leverage 3G networks worldwide.

AT&T says its 3G mobile network is available in more than 275 major U.S. metropolitan areas, adding that later this month it will become the first U.S. carrier to have fully deployed High Speed Packet Access (HSPA) technology across its entire 3G network.

By year-end, the company plans to offer 3G service in nearly 350 major metropolitan U.S. areas.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 89
    amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    In my view, the timing of the announcement just ahead of WWDC demonstrates that iPhone 2.0 will be available the day of or soon after it is announced.
  • Reply 2 of 89
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Can someone explain to me how the previous upload speeds were 500-800K when HSDPA only supports an uplink of 384Kbps?
  • Reply 3 of 89
    pmoeserpmoeser Posts: 80member
    Yawn

Tired of waiting for the thing to be released
  • Reply 4 of 89
    petermacpetermac Posts: 115member
    This evidence convinces me that Apple and AT&T have engineered the development, marketing, implementation etc, working to jointly agreed timetables. This has been in the planning for a long time. Apple gets newly available network capability, for their newly available iPhone model/s. It will maximize the new experience to be had. Sure, it will soon become the norm for competitors, but Apple gets to jump first with exquisite timing from AT&T with the best speeds on the best phone going.

It's going to be a great ride, the next 12-24 months, and I'm looking forward to it.

Pete
  • Reply 5 of 89
    grego33grego33 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

In my view, the timing of the announcement just ahead of WWDC demonstrates that iPhone 2.0 will be available the day of or soon after it is announced.

My current 3G phone (Samsung A737) displayed it's 3G icon for the first time on Monday morning. Prior to then it had always connected via EDGE. I hope it signifies the rumored 3G iPhone announcement. Certainly an interesting coincidence anyway. I live in the Greenville, SC area.

matt.
  • Reply 6 of 89
    grbgrb Posts: 7member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by amac4me View Post

Definitely agree. AT&T/cingular didn't start upping their EDGE speeds until a week or two before the actual release (they didn't do it in January before the announcement)
  • Reply 7 of 89
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Can someone explain to me how the previous upload speeds were 500-800K when HSDPA only supports an uplink of 384Kbps?

HSUPA provides uplink speeds of up to 5.76mbit/s. Here in Germany we already have 1.4mbit up, and 7.2mbit down.
  • Reply 8 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

HSUPA?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

Yawn

Tired of waiting for the thing to be released

Then I suggest you stop clicking on links about the iPhone.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by petermac View Post

Sure, it will soon become the norm for competitors, but Apple gets to jump first with exquisite timing from AT&T with the best speeds on the best phone going.

They really have outdone themselves in getting 3G speeds faster and more widespread.

But perhaps a little too fast...
  • Reply 9 of 89
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

HSUPA provides uplink speeds of up to 5.76mbit/s. Here in Germany we already have 1.4mbit up, and 7.2mbit down.

SWEET
  • Reply 10 of 89
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    perhaps the upload speed increase will help if there is video conferencing, when i used my macbook ichat gave me the option to choose a speed the slowest is 200kbs

as the weekend comes close i think there will be more substance to the "rumors" (oxymoron)
  • Reply 11 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

Yes, I know what HSUPA is. The question is, if the network update involves rolling out HSUPA that implies that the previous speeds were HSDPA:

"The mobile operator and exclusive provider for Apple's iPhone in the US said the upgrades are results of recent network enhancements, including the deployment of High Speed Uplink Packet Access (HSUPA) technology across all existing 3G markets that is expected to be completed by the end of the month."

Or maybe its just badly written.
  • Reply 12 of 89
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    I still hope AT&T gets smacked down for their willing cooperation with the Bush administration's unconstitutional surveillance programs. I've resisted getting an iPhone till now because I want nothing to do with any entity who thinks the Constitution doesn't apply in emergencies.
  • Reply 13 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I still hope AT&T gets smacked down for their willing cooperation with the Bush administration's unconstitutional surveillance programs. I've resisted getting an iPhone till now because I want nothing to do with any entity who thinks the Constitution doesn't apply in emergencies.

Have you got something to talk about on the phone that would make you a suspected terrorist?

There is no wholesale eavesdropping on private citizens. Give your lib paranoia a rest.
  • Reply 14 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

Have you got something to talk about on the phone that would make you a suspected terrorist?

There is no wholesale eavesdropping on private citizens. Give your lib paranoia a rest.

Yes, he's criticised Bush, that makes him a terrorist. And the Bush administration has already admitted to "wholesale eavesdropping on private citizens". It's not paranoia if it's a matter of public record.
  • Reply 15 of 89
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    Interesting. On Monday I was told by an ATT regional manager that their average speeds for their network in our area ( Philadelphia, Pa) were 600 up & 800dn and no changes were expected until at least September. I specifically asked if the new iphone would be faster. He indicated he didn’t know, except to say that their network speeds wouldn’t improve until at least Sept. So who is telling me the truth ? I’m sure there is more to this than my simplistic questions reveal. Can someone enlighten me ?
  • Reply 16 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobo28 View Post

Interesting. On Monday I was told by an ATT regional manager that their average speeds for their network in our area ( Philadelphia, Pa) were 600 up & 800dn and no changes were expected until at least September. I specifically asked if the new iphone would be faster. He indicated he didn?t know, except to say that their network speeds wouldn?t improve until at least Sept. So who is telling me the truth ? I?m sure there is more to this than my simplistic questions reveal. Can someone enlighten me ?

Both could be telling you the truth. While 600 up is quite high, especially considering the ratio to the down link it's not impossible. Also, he may be telling you what he himself last got, or what he was told or what he gets at that store location. Speeds vary from location to location.

Also, that part of Philly may not be slated for any speed increases or he may just not be privy to them.

One thing is for certain, the next iPhone, if 3G, will certainly be capable of much faster speeds than the 2.5G model.
  • Reply 17 of 89
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Yes, he's criticised Bush, that makes him a terrorist. And the Bush administration has already admitted to "wholesale eavesdropping on private citizens". It's not paranoia if it's a matter of public record.

Yup - Magic_Al, you're busted. Anti Bush sentiments labels you as an unpatriotic (shudder) liberal (shudder shudder). As you clearly have something to hide (why else could you possibly object?) you are either a terrorist or conspiring to terrorize. OrangeOutsider has got you sussed.
  • Reply 18 of 89
    Quote:

Bush deserves the bashing. The truth is a matter of public record. ATT, Verizon, etc are responsible for their actions and need to come clean. By operation of law if necessary. Don?t forget these are the very companies who would take away your equal , uncensored access to this site and the entire net. Take a look : www.eff.org/

Now back to the iphone . . .
  • Reply 19 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Yup - Magic_Al, you're busted. Anti Bush sentiments labels you as an unpatriotic (shudder) liberal (shudder shudder). As you clearly have something to hide (why else could you possibly object?) you are either a terrorist or conspiring to terrorize. OrangeOutsider has got you sussed.

OrangeOutsider is a narc with Homeland Security. America is at security threat level Orange (defined as "reason to believe that a perceived threat of terrorism will lead to political advantage"), thus the name. Give it up OrangeOutsider.
  • Reply 20 of 89
    Thank you . . . I plan to buy 5 of them , but so far there always seem to enough questions to make me wait. I guess this really is cutting edge stuff that will become whole over time ? Think I’ll just wait for the 3G and see how it goes . . . Again.