AT&T boosts 3G speeds by 20% ahead of 3G iPhone launch

Comments

• Reply 21 of 89
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Both could be telling you the truth. While 600 up is quite high, especially considering the ratio to the down link it's not impossible. Also, he may be telling you what he himself last got, or what he was told or what he gets at that store location. Speeds vary from location to location.

Also, that part of Philly may not be slated for any speed increases or he may just not be privy to them.

One thing is for certain, the next iPhone, if 3G, will certainly be capable of much faster speeds than the 2.5G model.

We've received confirmation today that the new phone will be 3G (as if we needed it). Softbank will be doing the iPhone and it only uses 3G.
  • Reply 22 of 89
    lafelafe Posts: 252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobo28 View Post

Interesting. On Monday I was told by an ATT regional manager that their average speeds for their network in our area ( Philadelphia, Pa) were 600 up & 800dn and no changes were expected until at least September. I specifically asked if the new iphone would be faster. He indicated he didn?t know, except to say that their network speeds wouldn?t improve until at least Sept. So who is telling me the truth ? I?m sure there is more to this than my simplistic questions reveal. Can someone enlighten me ?

Speed improvements are in the towers, and in the phone. I live in an area where I could

buy the new iPhone, however, and it would be the same speed as any other phone - SLOW.

The manager is hedging his answers, because he's not sure which areas are being

upgraded when. "Until September" is his safe way of saying, "Improvements are

taking place in various areas at various times." That way he's not promising you anything.

Maybe you live in an improved service area and maybe you don't. I guess the only

way to know for sure would be to get or borrow a 3G iPhone and see for yourself.

(Or some other 3G phone, I suppose.)
  • Reply 23 of 89
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bobo28 View Post

Bush deserves the bashing.

But not on these forums.
  • Reply 24 of 89
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

I still hope AT&T gets smacked down for their willing cooperation with the Bush administration's unconstitutional surveillance programs.

If you think that AT&T is alone in this (as far as telecommunication companies go) you are extremely naive and/or blind. Every telecommunications company is required (by law) to provide the ability for the government to tap phone calls (in an undetectable way by the way).

You can blame AT&T. You can blame Bush. But then you would be "missing the forest for the trees".

The statement from Brill in the fun "Enemy of the State" that "The government's been in bed with the entire telecommunications industry since the forties. They've infected everything." is more true than most people realize.
  • Reply 25 of 89
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Not to be sacreligious or anything, but I fail to see how 700kbps or 1.5Mbps either qualifies as 3G or will make a marked improvement over existing end-to-end EDGE performance.

I do understand that it is useful in markets where EDGE isn't available (including much of Europe and Asia)... but it still seems like an under-performing technology that won't make a huge improvement to browsing speed (processor limited), and will actually introduce new issues (latency, battery life, etc.).
  • Reply 26 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

Have you got something to talk about on the phone that would make you a suspected terrorist?

There is no wholesale eavesdropping on private citizens. Give your lib paranoia a rest.

As others have noted, this isn't paranoia but rather a matter of public record. The Bush Administration has admitted to precisely that, wholesale eavesdropping on private citizens.

Edit: I would note "warrantless"
  • Reply 27 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chris Cuilla View Post

If you think that AT&T is alone in this (as far as telecommunication companies go) you are extremely naive and/or blind. Every telecommunications company is required (by law) to provide the ability for the government to tap phone calls (in an undetectable way by the way).

You can blame AT&T. You can blame Bush. But then you would be "missing the forest for the trees".

The statement from Brill in the fun "Enemy of the State" that "The government's been in bed with the entire telecommunications industry since the forties. They've infected everything." is more true than most people realize.

Yes, if they have a warrant. What the Bush administration and AT&T did was bug wide swathes of phones without warrants.
  • Reply 28 of 89
    Quote:

I still hope AT&T gets smacked down for their willing cooperation with the Bush administration's unconstitutional surveillance programs. I've resisted getting an iPhone till now because I want nothing to do with any entity who thinks the Constitution doesn't apply in emergencies.

Apparently, it doesn't: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...070509-12.html

National Security Presidential Directive 51, fun times.
  • Reply 29 of 89
    chris cuillachris cuilla Posts: 4,825member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Yes, if they have a warrant.

• Reply 30 of 89
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Orangeoutsider View Post

Have you got something to talk about on the phone that would make you a suspected terrorist?

Having nothing to hide doesn't mean it's their business to listen or track without a warrant.

Quote:

There is no wholesale eavesdropping on private citizens. Give your lib paranoia a rest.

We don't know that as there isn't much by the way of checks and balances. It even turns out that the FBI has been doing a wholesale abuse of national security letters.

Even the weak FISA system was too much oversight for them, they've eventually admitted in bypassing that system at the same time the President said he was complying with the system.
  • Reply 31 of 89
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Not to be sacreligious or anything, but I fail to see how 700kbps or 1.5Mbps either qualifies as 3G or will make a marked improvement over existing end-to-end EDGE performance.

I do understand that it is useful in markets where EDGE isn't available (including much of Europe and Asia)... but it still seems like an under-performing technology that won't make a huge improvement to browsing speed (processor limited), and will actually introduce new issues (latency, battery life, etc.).

3G refers to the type of radio used (WCDMA) not speed. 3G has less latency that 2G (EDGE) and roughly 5 times the speed.
  • Reply 32 of 89
    bobo28bobo28 Posts: 59member
    Quote:

Oh gee, some of those issues that make you wonder if the new problems that come with the new tech are worse than the old ones . . .
  • Reply 33 of 89
    Quote:

It's 3G because you can't get those speeds without at least having a 3G network. It's not the maximum limit of what 3G networks are capable of, but it's certainly a whole lot better than EDGE is capable of.
  • Reply 34 of 89
    pixelnycpixelnyc Posts: 19member
    I check this blog multiple times daily, so this is hypocritical...but really, who cares about the iphone and network speeds? It's a phone. A phone that checks email and surfs the web. It's NOT changing the face of humanity. It's barely changed my day to day life...except maybe creating another tether to me and the work that I'd rather not be doing. The google map function has proven to be the most useful function. Maybe I'd be a little more excited if I didn't have to pay $100+ for decent headphones for the thing and didn't live with the fear that I might break it and have to shell out another $400 to replace it because now I'm used to having it.

Sorry, just babbling out-loud about my conflict of reality vs. necessity vs. what actually matters. When the new phone comes out I'll buy it and give my wife my current iPhone.
  • Reply 35 of 89
    Quote:

Here is a nice presentation by AI poster Winterspan.

• Reply 36 of 89
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wraithofwonder View Post

Apparently, it doesn't: http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/relea...070509-12.html

National Security Presidential Directive 51, fun times.

clicking on that link will get your ip, and your identity, logged and possible wiretapped!
  • Reply 37 of 89
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:

I still hope AT&T gets smacked down for their willing cooperation with the Bush administration's unconstitutional surveillance programs. I've resisted getting an iPhone till now because I want nothing to do with any entity who thinks the Constitution doesn't apply in emergencies.

If your boycotting all the bad people, companies and countries of the world, you must also be walking around naked, have nothing and quite thin.
  • Reply 38 of 89
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grego33 View Post

My current 3G phone (Samsung A737) displayed it's 3G icon for the first time on Monday morning. Prior to then it had always connected via EDGE. I hope it signifies the rumored 3G iPhone announcement. Certainly an interesting coincidence anyway. I live in the Greenville, SC area.

matt.

That's great news! I thought Columbia was gonna be the only place in SC with 3G service for the time being.
  • Reply 39 of 89
    resnycresnyc Posts: 90member
    [see chart above]

So the iPhone 2.0 is actually 3.5G, not merely 3.0G???
  • Reply 40 of 89
    crees!crees! Posts: 501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

OrangeOutsider is a narc with Homeland Security. America is at security threat level Orange (defined as "reason to believe that a perceived threat of terrorism will lead to political advantage"), thus the name. Give it up OrangeOutsider.

What'd you think of those alien videos?