Thinking about a Macbook

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Well after quite a while of "umming and ahhing" about getting a Macbook, I've decided I am going to make the switch.

I am currently using a laptop which using makes me want to throw it out the window - an Intel Celeron Windows Laptop.

I want to get a laptop for the portability - it will get pretty general use, nothing *majorly* heavy.

So my questions are:
  • A macbook seems to me like the best option - would you agree?

• I have read rumours that a new macbook may be coming soon - is this likely to be so, when are these expected to arrive? Is it worth waiting around for? (I am in no hurry, but obviously don't want to wait for a product that will never arrive)

• I am a student and am considering iWork vs. Microsoft Office - can iWork save and open .doc, .xls, etc. files and is it suitable, or is Office work the extra price? Can Office 07 run on Mac, or should I get Office 08?

Thanks in advance for your help

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    I think it's safe to assume new MacBooks will appear before the fall. I guess it depends on how long you want to wait.
  • Reply 2 of 17
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    iWork is good, but the Student discount on Office for Mac makes it a smart buy I think, there a few small compatibility issues but generally exporting to .doc & .xls isn't a problem

Unless you need it right now, you might want to wait until the summer's out, lots of rumours of new MacBooks by then from complete case redesign to seasonal speed bumps - maybe June / July but who knows

MacBook sounds perfect for your needs too
  • Reply 3 of 17
    Okay, thanks, I'll wait until the next revision.

In terms of Office vs. iWork, I guess I can download the free trials and see which is best for me.

Another question I have is: is AppleCare worth it? It it quite expensive and I am just wondering if it's actually worth it, if there is a problem, how must more is the repair costs likely to cost over the cost of AppleCare?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    A lot of people buy AppleCare from ebay or resellers at a discount price.

You're buying peace of mind for the next 3 years, but as with all insurance - it's a risk.

Only you can judge that but repairs can be costly for any manufacturer's faulty hardware
  • Reply 5 of 17
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Professor P View Post

Okay, thanks, I'll wait until the next revision.

In terms of Office vs. iWork, I guess I can download the free trials and see which is best for me.

Another question I have is: is AppleCare worth it? It it quite expensive and I am just wondering if it's actually worth it, if there is a problem, how must more is the repair costs likely to cost over the cost of AppleCare?

Get Applecare. I've already paid for mine. I had to get a new battery, the original crapped out after one year. Most pc vendors are having problems with battery failures. A new battery for a MBP(which I have) will set you back $129. Same for a Macbook.

I also had to get a new logic board recently. All covered by Applecare. I don't know how much that would cost but I'm guessing it would have easily cost a couple hundred dollars.
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Get Applecare. I've already paid for mine. I had to get a new battery, the original crapped out after one year. Most pc vendors are having problems with battery failures. A new battery for a MBP(which I have) will set you back $129. Same for a Macbook.

I also had to get a new logic board recently. All covered by Applecare. I don't know how much that would cost but I'm guessing it would have easily cost a couple hundred dollars.

That concerns me.

I would hope that:

a) The battery and logic board would not break

b) I wouldn't need to pay £165.68 (the cost of AppleCare in the UK on a Macbook with student discount - it's about $325) extra to get defective hardware replaced
  • Reply 7 of 17
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

That concerns me.

I would hope that:

b) I wouldn't need to pay £165.68 (the cost of AppleCare in the UK on a Macbook with student discount - it's about $325) extra to get defective hardware replaced

Not in the first year, no. Buying Applecare extends the warranty to three years.
  • Reply 8 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Not in the first year, no. Buying Applecare extends the warranty to three years.

So AppleCare is just a posh name for an extended warranty?

How does buying AppleCare from a 3rd party dealer work? What exactly is in that box...?
  • Reply 9 of 17
    Quote:

That concerns me.

I would hope that:

The battery failure didn't bother me. Like I said all vendors are having problems with batteries. The logic board issue was a little disappointing but I've had pcs by Dell, Apple, Compaq and HP. All have had hardware issues except the HP. But its had software issues. I've had to re-install windows once on it because of viruses and spyware and now it probably would benefit from an erase and install. But I don't feel like wasting my time to do it.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    Quote:

So AppleCare is just a posh name for an extended warranty?

How does buying AppleCare from a 3rd party dealer work? What exactly is in that box...?

Yes, it's an extra 2 year warranty on top of the standard 12 months

AppleCare is essentially a box with a serial number inside which you need to register with Apple.

As long as the box is sealed when you receive it, you'll be fine.

Am seeing MacBook Applecare for around £135 on ebay uk at the moment, (£199 from Apple Store).

Not sure if that's typical or not but just monitor it for a few days if you're interested
  • Reply 11 of 17
    Okay, final question - how soon after purchasing the macbook do I need to buy applecare?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    I think you have to register it before your 1 year's manufacturer's warranty is up
  • Reply 13 of 17
    Thanks everyone for your help.

My situation changed a bit today: my laptop has decided to start being VERY picky with charging - it has to have the charger in at certain angle (you know how chargers sometimes do that when they get old).

So I actually need a new laptop now.

If the release is within the next month or so - I can wait. Obviously if it's not until September - I'm gonna have to buy one in the current line.

What's the opinions?
  • Reply 14 of 17
    ^^^

Get this, a refurbished blackbook.

Throw in Apple care and still under $1500. A pretty good value IMO.
  • Reply 15 of 17
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

^^^

Get this, a refurbished blackbook.

Throw in Apple care and still under $1500. A pretty good value IMO.

Thanks, but I am in the UK, so that is not an option.

I have no issue with pricing (well I can afford a non-refurbished one) but I am just thinking to buy now or wait - this laptop will probably serve me a good couple of years, so I'll be buying a new, high-end one, my dilemma is whether I will regret buying it now - how soon do you think it will be before the next revision?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Quote:

Thanks, but I am in the UK, so that is not an option.

I have no issue with pricing (well I can afford a non-refurbished one) but I am just thinking to buy now or wait - this laptop will probably serve me a good couple of years, so I'll be buying a new, high-end one, my dilemma is whether I will regret buying it now - how soon do you think it will be before the next revision?

I would wait for the next MB revision because it should really be good. It ought to also be pretty soon but no one can say when for sure. I would think the odds are very high that it'll happen before September though.

But the next MB could(should) get a new enclosure, faster CPU, LED backlighting, and better integrated graphics. That's worth waiting for IMO.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    Just got my brand new macbook (white) 3 days ago and I love it! I had an iBook G3, iBook G4, and the first Macbook Pro. I also am a heavy peecee user, and I have to say I really enjoy the macbook. It's small, lightweight (longer battery life than my mbp is very nice!). I got the 250gb and maxed out the RAM, and as for the Applecare, I cannot stress enough how important it is to get it.

When I got my ibook g3, I never got applecare, and 6 months into the 1 year warranty, I had to send my ibook in 4x to get the logic board replaced. The 5th time my board died I was out of warranty. When I got my MBP it really paid off. After having it for over a year my screen died, my hard drive died, and I had to get 2 battery replacements, and a slew of other repair done. It's very much worth it in the long run.

And actually I wanted to get this revision of the macbook, because from all the speculation out there, I didn't want to chance apple changing the design of it; I really dig the semi-ibook look of the macbooks.

I also learned from getting the rev A macbook pro; I'll never get a rev A ever again!