Japan's SoftBank to offer Apple's 3G iPhone in Japan

Comments

• Reply 41 of 96
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I wouldn't take the patent as gospel. Having a patent for the potential integration of a technology in no way states that their next product will have it. I don't see Flash or Windows Media being added at all. Though I do hope their patent for a multi-client IM UI will include MS' chat protocol as it's quite popular outside of the states.

zibri is not just refering to the patent, he's also looking thru the iphone osX 2.0 code...

that's how he (we(LOL)) found out what the 3G chip in the iphone 3G will be....!
  • Reply 42 of 96
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

OT and for appleinsider crew:

zibir just posted that he found out that the 3G iphone will not have internal GPS! good news for all of us that love to have long battery runtime!!!

but it will have a bluetooth GPS stack!!! so people like me with a bluetooth GPS can connect to them and use them with google maps or other s/w....

quote: "The patents for the iPhone2 (and firmware 2.0) are out.

As you can see from the images above, FLASH and

WindowsMedia content will be finally supported.

In figure 53D you can also see how the

new welcome screen will look like.

Again there is nothing in the patent about

an embedded GPS (as I previously said).

External bluetooth GPS will be supported and

managed by the "locationd" daemon." source: http://www.ziphone.org/

This is bogus. The iPhone will have GPS. It's not a positive at all to not have it, if you want to save battery you turn it off. It doesn't use power if its not turned on.
  • Reply 43 of 96
    satarahsatarah Posts: 3member
    I can't believe Apple picked Softbank. Everybody knows they are weakest carrier and have the worst reception. I would love to have an iPhone when it comes to Japan but I doubt I will switch to Softbank just for it.
  • Reply 44 of 96
    Quote:

That is what I was using. I found the PDF to the S-GOLD3H chip, but not to the X-GOLD 608.

edit: I forget they had changed the name. I think it was no more than a couple weeks ago I even posted that information about the name change.

yeah, the gold3h needs the gold 608 as co-processor for the RF part... it can be combined with a range of co-processor... for EDGE only, combined EDGE/UMTS, or other RF applications...
  • Reply 45 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

This is bogus. The iPhone will have GPS. It's not a positive at all to not have it, if you want to save battery you turn it off. It doesn't use power if its not turned on.

i followed zibirs posts very closely, and whenever he posts stuff like this he's dead on. he hasn't been wrong once about technical findings in the code... unless you have reliable findings that can contradict zibirs staements yuor comment is not very productive...

and the WPS geolocating feature is very reliable in metro areas where skyhook has scanned... in 99% of the cases where one is taking a photo with iphone it will work as advertised...

in europe and asia all metropolitan areas have been scanned and in a second wave skyhook is scanning the "smaller" larger cities with a population of more than 100k...

check the coverage map: http://www.skyhookwireless.com/howitworks/coverage.php

western europe screenshot of skyhook coverage:

eastern/mid US screenshot of skyhook coverage:
  • Reply 46 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

i followed zibirs posts very closely, and whenever he posts stuff like this he's dead on. he hasn't been wrong once about technical findings in the code... unless you have reliable findings that can contradict zibirs staements yuor comment is not very productive...

I didn't see any code in that post you linked, only patent. I'd like to see the code that was found in v2.0.
  • Reply 47 of 96
    Quote:

I didn't see any code in that post you linked, only patent. I'd like to see the code that was found in v2.0.

you should go to zibirs blog and email him that question... i'm not a code-hugger, so i can't help you with that! i just trust zibir in that regard since he has found quite some stuff that way and he has not posted wrong findings...!

ziphone.org is his blog...
  • Reply 48 of 96
    and @ the rate skyhook is scanning new areas i think apple/google/skyhook is pretty confindent that the WPS solution has a future! a few months back europe was almost white on the skyhook coverage page... a year back the US was pretty white... and now the east coast is well covered, and the west coast has all the metro areas covered...

in favor of the WPS solution:

it saves money, no GPS module needed.

it saves battery, no GPS module sucking battery.

it works faster than GPS, 1-5 seconds from the moment one asks for the geolocation. GPS needs 30-120 seconds to get a fix. and to have the GPS always on will deplete the battery exponentially...
  • Reply 49 of 96
    and if one looks closely it becomes clear that the iphone osX 2.0 will also get flash and windows mobile support, that's pretty important too. that was one of the things many people were asking for!

besides GPS, and GPS will be enabled via the bluetooth stack that was missing, and that will be included in the iphone osX 2.0 release so people like me with a bluetooth GPS mouse can use it when we upgrade to 2.0.... i like the external bluetooth GPS solution much better. one can place the GPS BT mouse much better for better signal. especially while driving. and the battery drain is not as much of a problem as with an internal GPS module...
  • Reply 50 of 96
    the only continent where WPS is still very spotty is asia, only hong kong, seoul, tokyo have been scanned.

australia is another thing, but it looks like skyhook is scanning there as we speak... large cities down under have been scanned, but the country is so huge and so few people live there that it's a huge undertaking.... i think australia only has 20 million people living there... compare that to 490 million for the EU and 523 million for north america (301 million in the USA... so emphasis should be on japan (130 million) and china (1320 million) in asia, not australia with it's 20 million... switzerland (8 million) and belgium (10 million) have almost as many people as australia... and australia is like 100 times bigger (not sure on that, LOL)...
  • Reply 51 of 96
    Quote:

and if one looks closely it becomes clear that the iphone osX 2.0 will also get flash and windows mobile support, that's pretty important too. that was one of the things many people were asking for!

I don't see why Apple would have a Windows Media player in the iPhone.
  • Reply 52 of 96
    Quote:

I don't see why Apple would have a Windows Media player in the iPhone.

not a player, support for the windows media container... like flash or quicktime... so users can play stuff that is delivered in the wm container...
  • Reply 53 of 96
    Quote:

and @ the rate skyhook is scanning new areas i think apple/google/skyhook is pretty confindent that the WPS solution has a future! a few months back europe was almost white on the skyhook coverage page... a year back the US was pretty white... and now the east coast is well covered, and the west coast has all the metro areas covered...

in favor of the WPS solution:

it saves money, no GPS module needed.

it saves battery, no GPS module sucking battery.

it works faster than GPS, 1-5 seconds from the moment one asks for the geolocation. GPS needs 30-120 seconds to get a fix. and to have the GPS always on will deplete the battery exponentially...

I have no idea why you are against GPS:

- it doesn't use any power if not turned on

- the cost it adds is not significant in a premium product like the iPhone

What you fail to mention about WPS is that:

- it uses more power than GPS because you have to turn WiFI and scan for hotspots

- it has very poor accuracy about 20-30 meters

- it relies on hotspots, so if you're not near one then you have no idea where you are

- it can't be used for navigation, since there aren't many hotspots in the middle of freeways

It has almost no coverage versus 100% coverage by GPS. You're nuts if you think it's competitive and doubly nuts if you think that having GPS on the iPhone is a bad idea.
  • Reply 54 of 96
    Quote:

not a player, support for the windows media container... like flash or quicktime... so users can play stuff that is delivered in the wm container...

Yeah, not a media player, a container that plays media... right.

Have you been smoking something?
  • Reply 55 of 96
    Quote:

I have no idea why you are against GPS:

- it doesn't use any power if not turned on

- the cost it adds is not significant in a premium product like the iPhone

What you fail to mention about WPS is that:

- it uses more power than GPS because you have to turn WiFI and scan for hotspots

- it has very poor accuracy about 20-30 meters

- it relies on hotspots, so if you're not near one then you have no idea where you are

- it can't be used for navigation, since there aren't many hotspots in the middle of freeways

It has almost no coverage versus 100% coverage by GPS. You're nuts if you think it's competitive and doubly nuts if you think that having GPS on the iPhone is a bad idea.

i think you haven't used WPS many times...

and it''s not meant to make it possible to navigate on freeways. but on city surface steets yes, and on feeways that run thru dense cities also...

and to be able to use WPS in conjunction with a bluetooth GPS when you are outside of metro areas is a perfect fit...

of course it has to turn on wifi to scan for wifi hotspots, but only then. and it will do so in a few seconds, not 30-120 seconds like a GPS!!! i have nothing against GPS, actually i love it. WPS is actually dependent on GPS, but a professional driver has done the work for you... and in settings like in offices or in shopping malls where there's no signal from the GPS satellites WPS has the clear advantage to the time factor... i think the best is a combined setup, where GPS is used as fallback, and when the hardware knows that it's in a rural setting it will chose GPS immediately... i'm quite happy apple will go the bluetooth GPS way, and not the integrated way... since i can place my bluetooth GPS mouse much better than if it would be integrated... especially while driving i have much a better choice placing the GPS mouse....
  • Reply 56 of 96
    Quote:

That makes sense. Containers like AVI and QT can have media encoded with any number of codecs.
  • Reply 57 of 96
    Quote:

i think your answer speaks for itself... LOL...
  • Reply 58 of 96
    Quote:

yeah, the gold3h needs the gold 608 as co-processor for the RF part... it can be combined with a range of co-processor... for EDGE only, combined EDGE/UMTS, or other RF applications...

You don't know what you are talking about. The two things you're talking about the SGOLD-3H and the X-GOLD 608 are the same chip, namely the PMB 8878. It needs an RF from end chip, a power management unit, memory, etc, but no co-processor for EDGE or UMTS.
  • Reply 59 of 96
    Quote:

That makes sense. Containers like AVI and QT can have media encoded with any number of codecs.

yup, like QT is able to play back windows media if you have flip4mac installed... it just translates the container info into the quticktime container format... or the perian codec swiss army knife that enables QT to play back avi's...

i think apple will give QT on the iphone the ability to play back flash and WM in order to not have to include many different players and to keep the iphone osX sleek and simple...
  • Reply 60 of 96
    Quote:

If you're talking about the Windows Media format(s) then you need a player for it. I can put a container with a WMV on an iPhone right now, but it won't play. So it's meaningless if it doesn't also include a player. If the container can play the contents then it's a player. If it can't play the contents then its just a file. If you're talking about being able to play standard formats (MP2, MP4) in a Windows Media formatted file, then that might make sense, but it's not very exciting.