Japan's SoftBank to offer Apple's 3G iPhone in Japan

Comments

• Reply 61 of 96
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

You don't know what you are talking about. The two things you're talking about the SGOLD-3H and the X-GOLD 608 are the same chip, namely the PMB 8878. It needs an RF from end chip, a power management unit, memory, etc, but no co-processor for EDGE or UMTS.

what i wnted to say is that the 608 needs another chip for the actual RF part. the pmb 8878 or x-gold 608 aka sgold3h is dependent on the RF chip for the UMTS/GSM part

• Reply 62 of 96
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

yup, like QT is able to play back windows media if you have flip4mac installed... it just translates the container info into the quticktime container format... or the perian codec swiss army knife that enables QT to play back avi's...

i think apple will give QT on the iphone the ability to play back flash and WM in order to not have to include many different players and to keep the iphone osX sleek and simple...

Why would they do that? They don't support Windows formats on the Mac or the iPod. Sounds like a load of tripe.
  • Reply 63 of 96
    Quote:

what i wnted to say is that the 608 needs another chip for the actual RF part. the pmb 8878 or x-gold 608 aka sgold3h is dependent on the RF chip for the UMTS/GSM part

The RF is the analog front end and the 8878 the digital back end, the UMTS/GSM part exists in both chips.
  • Reply 64 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Why would they do that? They don't support Windows formats on the Mac or the iPod. Sounds like a load of tripe.

The other link I posted explained it but so does the link below. You can see that there video codecs, audio codecs and media containers. Containers are not the programs.
  • Reply 65 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The other link I posted explained it but so does the link below. You can see that there video codecs, audio codecs and media containers. Containers are not the programs.

Its doesn't really matter how its done, Apple won't support Windows playback on the iPhone, a third party is a different story.
  • Reply 66 of 96
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

If you're talking about the Windows Media format(s) then you need a player for it. I can put a container with a WMV on an iPhone right now, but it won't play. So it's meaningless if it doesn't also include a player. If the container can play the contents then it's a player. If it can't play the contents then its just a file. If you're talking about being able to play standard formats (MP2, MP4) in a Windows Media formatted file, then that might make sense, but it's not very exciting.

Quote:

Its doesn't really matter how its done, Apple won't support Windows playback on the iPhone, a third party is a different story.

I am just explaining the difference between a container and codec. I don't think Apple will support it either unless it is part of the native Exchange support on the iPhone. Remember, Macs once came bundled with an MS Office Test Drive and Internet Explorer.
  • Reply 67 of 96
    Quote:

I am just explaining the difference between a container and codec. I don't think Apple will support it either unless it is part of the native Exchange support on the iPhone. Remember, Macs once came bundled with an MS Office Test Drive and Internet Explorer.

i think what apple wants to do is support WM in safari.... not in terms of audio/video playback in the ipod-module itself... flash and WM playback in safari. that's it.... they will sticck with youtube QT/mpeg4 playback in the youtube app, no flash support in that app... quality is better, streaming is better that way... most videos are now available now in the QT/mpeg4 iphone app anyways...
  • Reply 68 of 96
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

1700 and 800 are just too obscure. 1700 is US specific, 800 is Japan specific, as are others like a Japan 1500.

If Apple do a quad band phone it would have to be 850/900/1900/2100. 1800 in 2G doesn't serve a purpose in 3G because there is 2100. It might be 700/850/1900/2100 but that would be a very early call and be quite US specific whereas 900 is growing in Europe and Australia (Nokia has already started releasing 900 3G phones).

Apple always go for one version for scale, covering as many bases as possible. My money is on 850/1900/2100 tri band or 850/900/1900/2100 quad band.

Those look like the most sensible suggestions.
  • Reply 69 of 96
    Quote:

i just looked it up: "Less than 1000 mm² for a dual mode HSDPA

(triband) and EDGE (quadband) modem

solution"

source infineon: http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/X-GOLD6...1957c66fee3850

so it will be a tri-band UMTS, quad-band GSM 3G iphone...!

so this discussion is over...

Very good.
  • Reply 70 of 96
    Quote:

I wouldn't take the patent as gospel. Having a patent for the potential integration of a technology in no way states that their next product will have it. I don't see Flash or Windows Media being added at all. Though I do hope their patent for a multi-client IM UI will include MS' chat protocol as it's quite popular outside of the states.

Disagree about Flash. At some point, just a Jobs has said, when the software is there, it will be on the phone.
  • Reply 71 of 96
    Quote:

i think you haven't used WPS many times...

and it''s not meant to make it possible to navigate on freeways. but on city surface steets yes, and on feeways that run thru dense cities also...

and to be able to use WPS in conjunction with a bluetooth GPS when you are outside of metro areas is a perfect fit...

of course it has to turn on wifi to scan for wifi hotspots, but only then. and it will do so in a few seconds, not 30-120 seconds like a GPS!!! i have nothing against GPS, actually i love it. WPS is actually dependent on GPS, but a professional driver has done the work for you... and in settings like in offices or in shopping malls where there's no signal from the GPS satellites WPS has the clear advantage to the time factor... i think the best is a combined setup, where GPS is used as fallback, and when the hardware knows that it's in a rural setting it will chose GPS immediately... i'm quite happy apple will go the bluetooth GPS way, and not the integrated way... since i can place my bluetooth GPS mouse much better than if it would be integrated... especially while driving i have much a better choice placing the GPS mouse....

It still comes in a very poor second to GPS. You can say what you want about the accuracy, but it can be a good city block off?or more.

It's also going to be relegated to populated areas, so it's useless for people who live elsewhere, or who travel outside of those areas.

WiFi hotspots are, er, spotty. There aren't very many of them around. You may want to think so, but most of the time you aren't in one, and have to go searching for one.

How does that time compare to the location time of GPS? Very poorly indeed.

While the external solution works, it's clumsy at best, even more expensive, and requires its own battery.

The best solution is an internal chipset that can be turned on as needed, or is automatic. When a function that requires it calls, it turns on, and turns off after it's finished. That would use very little power.
  • Reply 72 of 96
    Quote:

Apple doesn't have to do it themselves. They don't write all the third party plug-ins for Safari or quicktime. They just need to allow it. Others will step in.
  • Reply 73 of 96
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    Thank goodness overpriced DoCoMo lost the contact.

No doubt we'll continue to see Brad Pitt on the SoftBank TV ads, but this time with an iPhone in his hand!

Go WHITE PLAN!
  • Reply 74 of 96
    Quote:

As I noted, a third party could do it, if Apple allows it. Here's one way, but not the most transparent.

Will Apple allow on the new ver. 2 phones? That's the question.

http://www.zodttd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1994
  • Reply 75 of 96
    successsuccess Posts: 1,040member
    Question. If I don't care about browsing on Softbank's network couldn't I use the iPhone on any network if it's unlocked? Isn't it a matter of just inserting your SIM into an unlocked iPhone?

I still don't know if I'd buy an iPhone here. I'm interested in some of the waterproof phones. Rains so hard here I'd always be worried about my pretty iPhone.

Plus I don't like to miss calls while I'm in the shower. lol

p.s. Will my phone plan be expensive with an iPhone even if I don't surf? It should stay the same right? Well actually it will automatically be more expensive because SoftBank is more expensive to start with.

SoftBanks sucks balls.
  • Reply 76 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post

p.s. Will my phone plan be expensive with an iPhone even if I don't surf? It should stay the same right?

if you don't use the iphone features, don't buy an iphone... LOL
  • Reply 77 of 96
    Quote:

if you don't use the iphone features, don't buy an iphone... LOL

ummmm no.

Let's see.... what does the iphone have.

A phone? Oh yes. That's right, a phone.

Do you buy an iPhone only to surf the net. I think not.
  • Reply 78 of 96
    Quote:

ummmm no.

Let's see.... what does the iphone have.

A phone? Oh yes. That's right, a phone.

Do you buy an iPhone only to surf the net. I think not.

it looks like you love using stuff you paid top-$$$ for to its' fullest potential...

(if you find irony you can keep it)
  • Reply 79 of 96
    Quote:

it looks like you love using stuff you paid top-$$$ for to its' fullest potential...

(if you find irony you can keep it)

So let me get this right. I buy an iPhone and if I don't enjoy surfing the net with a tiny little screen you're opinion is that it's a waste to buy it?

Videos

Music

Full blown email -> with ichat soon to come

PDA feature set

Games

etc....those are all not good enough reasons to buy it? Oh wait, I almost forgot. It also has A PHONE!

Oh now I see your logic.

Also, I didn't know a couple hundred bucks was top dollar. I guess you won't be getting one then.
  • Reply 80 of 96
    Quote:

So let me get this right. I buy an iPhone and if I don't enjoy surfing the net with a tiny little screen you're opinion is that it's a waste to buy it?

Videos

Music

Full blown email -> with ichat soon to come

PDA feature set

Games

etc....those are all not good enough reasons to buy it? Oh wait, I almost forgot. It also has A PHONE!

Oh now I see your logic.

Also, I didn't know a couple hundred bucks was top dollar. I guess you won't be getting one then.

I think they were more referring to the fact that you like taking the phone into the shower with you.