Ballmer: you can buy Vista and downgrade to XP for free

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
While Apple is encouraging its install base to upgrade to the latest version of the Mac OS X operating system, a new sales pitch by its Redmond-based rival to the north recommends that customers unhappy with Vista take a step in the opposite direction 'for free.'

Speaking at an event Tuesday in the nation's capital, Microsoft chief executive Steve Ballmer said his company's licensing policy allows for customers to install the previous generation of Windows should Vista not impress.

"Customers get both," he said. "I don't know how you can do better than getting both."

Baller's comments were in response to a question about whether Microsoft will continue to market retail copies of Windows XP for mainstream PCs beyond its scheduled June 30 expiration.

The Microsoft headman explained that his firm holds no such plans because any customer who wants to purchase XP after June 30 can just as easily buy Vista and trigger its built-in downgrade option.

Earlier this week, the software maker said it would extend the shelf life of XP for installations on "nettops" -- it's term for ultra-low cost desktop systems -- for an undetermined amount of time. That followed an earlier move to continue selling the six-and-a-half year old operating system for ultra portable notebook systems for up to two more years.

InformationWeek's Paul McDougall points out that a number of PC makers, including Dell, already offer business systems that have been "pre-downgraded" from Vista to XP. Though that raises the question, he says, about the accuracy of the sales figures Microsoft has provided for Vista.

"In April, the company said it had sold more than 140 million Vista licenses since the OS became available to the public early last year," he wrote. "But Microsoft did not indicate what percentage of those Vista licenses have been downgraded to XP."

Ballmer egged in Hungary last month.

Ballmer, 52, also told those in attendance at the event Tuesday that he expects to retire from running the world's largest software company within the next "9 or 10 years," at which time the eldest of his three children will be on the way to college.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 94
    mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 675member
    Oh, this will go down in history! If this isn't the beginning of the end for Microsoft, I give up.
  • Reply 2 of 94
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Talk about a lack of confidence in your own product!
  • Reply 3 of 94
    bpattonbpatton Posts: 19member
    Bwahahaha

Our office still won't upgrade to Vista. We can't afford the downtime should something run amiss, which is pretty much bound to happen to at least one installation of Vista. However, I at least applaud Micro for having the option for downgrade (not that they would have much of a choice for the riots that would ensue).
  • Reply 4 of 94
    8corewhore8corewhore Posts: 833member
    heeeeeeee heeeeeeeee heeeeeeeee
  • Reply 5 of 94
    jaketherockjaketherock Posts: 286member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Ballmer egged in Hungary last month.

I'm wondering what this has to do with the article, but it was pretty funny nonetheless. If you notice, a bunch of the students have Macs.
  • Reply 6 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I don't think downgrade rights are anything new. I think Windows XP Pro was offered with downgrade rights to Windows 2000 Pro. Maybe the same thing with 2000 to NT 4. I have a notebook computer that had XP Pro and 2000 Pro.
  • Reply 7 of 94
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    But what about those of us who bought systems with XP recently because we knew Vista was crap?
  • Reply 8 of 94
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

But what about those of us who bought systems with XP recently because we knew Vista was crap?

should have bought a mac?
  • Reply 9 of 94
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

What of it? Didn't you get what you wanted?
  • Reply 10 of 94
    mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 675member
    Quote:

You got XP without paying for Vista to get it. Beats a poke in the eye with a sharp stick--except insofar as using Windows at all is a lot like that to begin with!
  • Reply 11 of 94
    801801 Posts: 271member
    What a marketing scheme.

How much did the pay the guy that came up with this? Where do I send my resume?
  • Reply 12 of 94
    buzdotsbuzdots Posts: 452member
    Quote:

take a step in the opposite direction 'for free.'

Sorry Guys, I just couldn't resist - again!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvsboPUjrGc
  • Reply 13 of 94
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

Ballmer, 52, also told those in attendance at the event Tuesday that he expects to retire from running the world's largest software company within the next "9 or 10 years,"...

The real question now is, can Microsoft survive the next 9 or 10 years???
  • Reply 14 of 94
    tokoloshtokolosh Posts: 101member
    talk about lipstick on a pig. Can you imagine Jobs pulling that stunt?

"One more thing! Today we bring you the new iPhone. But don't worry, for those who don't like GPS, 3G, and some really bitchin' video conferencing capabilities you can push this reset button on the back of this phone and it will instantly become the generation 1 iPhone."
  • Reply 15 of 94
    buckbuck Posts: 293member
    Quote:

"I don't know how you can do better than getting both."

By getting none?
  • Reply 16 of 94
    dmzdmz Posts: 5,775member
    Savoring....savoring....savoring....savoring.... the moment
  • Reply 17 of 94
    This means we're going to have a ton of people in the store wanting to install XP on the Vista machines they just bought, unfortunately, a lot of those machines contain components with Vista Only drivers.
  • Reply 18 of 94
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Oh, jeez. What a desperate move by Ballmer. He has to be one of the biggest idiots to ever step into the role of CEO.
  • Reply 19 of 94
    cam'roncam'ron Posts: 503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

This means we're going to have a ton of people in the store wanting to install XP on the Vista machines they just bought, unfortunately, a lot of those machines contain components with Vista Only drivers.

This is so very true!
  • Reply 20 of 94
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Galley View Post

Talk about a lack of confidence in your own product!

In spite of Microshaft hyping up Vista to the public, behind closed doors the guys at Redmond, WA also read the reports about Vista. They know businesses are not happy and Vista is a lemon. This is why there is so much talk coming from Steve Ballmer and Bill Gates about Windoze 7 which at the end of the day will be nothing more than Windoze Vista 2nd Edition.

There is no way Steve and Bill can have real confidence in Vista. Windoze 7 so far also fails to impress. If Windoze 7 is also a flop this will truly ring the death knoll for M$.