Mac OS X 10.5.4 Update to address Adobe CS3 file corruption

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
As expected, Apple on Wednesday evening delivered to its developer community the first pre-release copies of its upcoming Mac OS X 10.5.4 Update, which repairs a critical flaw in saving files from Adobe's Creative Suite bundle.

The software, labeled Mac OS X 10.5.4 build 9E6, weighed in at 55 megabyte -- just a fraction of the size of the recently released Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update's massive 420 megabyte package.

People familiar with the software say Apple has indicated to developers that there are presently no known issues with update, which address issues with iCal, digital camera decoding support, LEAP connections via AirPort, and sometimes missing HTTP headers.

More importantly, those same people say, is a fifth that will allow Creative Suite 3.0 users to once again properly work with files that reside on a remote server.

Immediately following Apple's Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update released last month, CS3 users flooded Apple and Adobe's support forums to report that they could no longer properly save files from InDesign, Photoshop, and other CS3 programs to a location on a remote server. The files would become corrupt, those users reported, rendering them useless.

In addition to evaluating the aforementioned fixes, Apple has also asked that its developers focus their testing efforts on a handful of system components once having installed build build 9E6. Among these are AirPort, iChat, print, ruby and samba.

On Tuesday, AppleInsider reported that Apple was preparing the first beta releases of Mac OS X 10.5.4 to arrive in developers' hands ahead of its annual developers conference which kicks off on Monday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 37
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The software, labeled Mac OS X 10.5.4 build 9E6, weighed in at 55MB -- just a fraction of the size of the recently released Mac OS X 10.5.3 Update's massive 42 megabyte package.

Wow, that is something!
  • Reply 2 of 37
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

Wow, that is something!

I'm not sure how we lost the zero there in editing, but thanks for pointing it out. Yes, 10.5.3 was 420 MB not 42 =P

Best,

K
  • Reply 3 of 37
    photoeditorphotoeditor Posts: 244member
    Maybe they could do something about Adobe's installer too? That thing takes FOREVER, hammers the processor, and half the time you think it's hung. What's it doing -- translating between different versions of OS X on the fly?
  • Reply 4 of 37
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    "People familiar with the software say Apple has indicated to developers that there are presently no known issues with update, which address issues with iCal....."

God I hope so. iCal is dog slow for a simple calendar app. I'm glad they did the CalDAV improvements with the Leopard version, but the delay in GUI responsiveness with it is not acceptable in this day and age.
  • Reply 5 of 37
    zanshinzanshin Posts: 350member
    We just bought a full version of CS3 Design Premium for the office. The downloads totaled 5.1 Gb. Multiple downloads were involved for "goodies and documentation" content, but the main pack was 3.4 Gb in one file.

After waiting for three 350mb "content" .DMGs to finish and then install, you find out each one has the same fonts, and most of the same clip art and photographs. And Adobe still makes you download and install their failed foray into Stock Photography sales, months after they closed that business segment.

A 420mb download would be like salad before dinner compared to that exercise.
  • Reply 6 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zanshin View Post

420mb download is BIG?

Compared to the size of the OS it's big for an update.
  • Reply 7 of 37
    glgluxyglgluxy Posts: 3member
    Quote:

We just bought a full version of CS3 Design Premium for the office. The downloads totaled 5.1 Gb. Multiple downloads were involved for "goodies and documentation" content, but the main pack was 3.4 Gb in one file.

After waiting for three 350mb "content" .DMGs to finish and then install, you find out each one has the same fonts, and most of the same clip art and photographs. And Adobe still makes you download and install their failed foray into Stock Photography sales, months after they closed that business segment.

This is what happens when you are the only game in town.
  • Reply 8 of 37
    sesonseson Posts: 2member
    No known issues - that's ridiculous!!!

I don't know why they don't seem to read what people post via their bug and feedback section on their web site. I submitted one rather annoying bug 5 times, after each point release of Leopard.

Copy & paste from Preview.app with pdf files doesn't work properly. (E.g. if you paste it into Keynote.app)

This worked in Tiger! But they don't even bother fixing that, instead they put "no known issues".

This thing really makes me mad.
  • Reply 9 of 37
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seson View Post

I don't know why they don't seem to read what people post via their bug and feedback section on their web site. I submitted one rather annoying bug 5 times, after each point release of Leopard.

Copy & paste from Preview.app with pdf files doesn't work properly. (E.g. if you paste it into Keynote.app)

This worked in Tiger! But they don't even bother fixing that, instead they put "no known issues".

This thing really makes me mad.

It shouldn't make you mad. You are reading into the statement too much. There are no known issues they want developers to aware of in the 10.5.4 build. They are not saying that there are no issues in the 10.5.4, otherwise they would have just sent it out to us common folk, and they aren't saying there are no issues with 10.5.3 otherwise they would not be updating to 10.5.4.
  • Reply 10 of 37
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seson View Post

I think they mean that, as of right now the updater itself has no known issues, not that they have addressed every bug report from every user.

m
  • Reply 11 of 37
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

I wasn't aware that such a big program was legally available as a download. If I were buying it, I'd just fork over the cost for overnight shipping if I wanted it quickly.

Quote:

It's about the biggest OS update that I remember.
  • Reply 12 of 37
    bloggerblogbloggerblog Posts: 2,462member
    I hope it also addresses hiding InDesign windows.
  • Reply 13 of 37
    pairof9spairof9s Posts: 67member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bloggerblog View Post

I hope it also addresses hiding InDesign windows.

I agree completely, whether it's Apple or Adobe. WTFITA?!! And while they're (Adobe) at it, get w/ the plan on Illustrator and provide a keystroke Hide Illustrator; Command + H would be nice, but anything is a help for this long overlooked issue. Isn't Adobe's main selling point w/ CS is to have a universal operability? Well the UI would be a great place to start!

Sometimes it really chaps my hide how far up Microsoft's @ss Adobe has their head!

/
  • Reply 14 of 37
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pairof9s View Post

I agree completely, whether it's Apple or Adobe. WTFITA?!! And while they're (Adobe) at it, get w/ the plan on Illustrator and provide a keystroke Hide Illustrator; Command + H would be nice, but anything is a help for this long overlooked issue. Isn't Adobe's main selling point w/ CS is to have a universal operability? Well the UI would be a great place to start!

Sometimes it really chaps my hide how far up Microsoft's @ss Adobe has their head!

/

As for keyboard shortcuts, you can assign your own through the Keyboard & Mouse preference pane. They will be available in the menus the next time you launch the app. Not sure if only Cocoa apps are supported, though.
  • Reply 15 of 37
    like someone else said in this thread, you can goto Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts and make command+H hide Illustrator. Highlight the shortcut area and hit command+H, it will tell you that it is already in use. Goto the bottom and hit "Go To" and it will take you to the Show Edge/Hide Edge option. Just make this command+shift+H, that is not in use by anything. Now you can still hide your edges and Illustrator. Here is my pic to prove right here:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3801/picture1mg0.png
  • Reply 16 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

like someone else said in this thread, you can goto Edit>Keyboard Shortcuts and make command+H hide Illustrator. Highlight the shortcut area and hit command+H, it will tell you that it is already in use. Goto the bottom and hit "Go To" and it will take you to the Show Edge/Hide Edge option. Just make this command+shift+H, that is not in use by anything. Now you can still hide your edges and Illustrator. Here is my pic to prove right here:

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/3801/picture1mg0.png

While this may change Illustrators shortcut keys it does not fix InDesign's problem with 10.5.2 or 10.5.3. The Hide command simply does not work, and sometimes when you click back on the InDesign window (although it was not Hidden to begin with), it dissapears for good and refuses to show again, and the only way out of that is a Force-Quit and to learn NEVER to use the Hide command with InDesign and 10.5.2 or 10.5.3.
  • Reply 17 of 37
    akacakac Posts: 512member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's about the biggest OS update that I remember.

One thing to keep in mind is that Leopard upates are not like Tiger. They include Universal Binaries, GC, and 64/32-bit versions of frameworks.

I wrote this at MacRumors so I'll just repost it:

A one line change to the code of a 2MB binary still is packaged as 2MB of new binary code. Its not 2MB of new code. And then with Universal Binaries, its 4MB of new code. Actually 16MB because they have to package separate frameworks for:

32-bit PPC

64-bit PPC

32-bit Intel

64-bit Intel

and then since all the frameworks are dual-mode (Garbage Collected)

32-bit PPC Garbage Collected

64-bit PPC Garbage Collected

32-bit Intel Garbage Collected

64-bit Intel Garbage Collected

So a one line change or even 5 pages worth of code change in a 2MB module comes out to be 16MB of changes in the installer for any Apple OS framework. Of course for non-framework items like apps, you're still talking about 2x the size or more.
  • Reply 18 of 37
    Quote:

While this may change Illustrators shortcut keys it does not fix InDesign's problem with 10.5.2 or 10.5.3. The Hide command simply does not work, and sometimes when you click back on the InDesign window (although it was not Hidden to begin with), it dissapears for good and refuses to show again, and the only way out of that is a Force-Quit and to learn NEVER to use the Hide command with InDesign and 10.5.2 or 10.5.3.

Well the problem you are describing can be worked around. If you open InDesign and close it, then open it again the hide function works just fine. If you didnt hide the project you are currently working on, but it is still not visible, you can goto Window>"the project name" all the way at the bottom and it will show again. Now you can hide InDesign and hide Illustrator without any problems

After changing the shortcuts in Illustrator and remember the two InDesign work arounds, you'll have not one problem with with suite.
  • Reply 19 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Digital Disasta View Post

Well the problem you are describing can be worked around. If you open InDesign and close it, then open it again the hide function works just fine. If you didnt hide the project you are currently working on, but it is still not visible, you can goto Window>"the project name" all the way at the bottom and it will show again. Now you can hide InDesign and hide Illustrator without any problems

After changing the shortcuts in Illustrator and remember the two InDesign work arounds, you'll have not one problem with with suite.

Thank you for your response however, I was describing InDesign not responding to the Hide command or the Option+Click, and then clicking back on InDesign window that did not Hide makes InDesign disappear for good including its menu bar. It will stay hidden unless InDesign is relaunched.

Apple dropped the ball with OSX Server, and now with OS X. Their Pro teams must be working diligently on other secret projects (again), because this is anything but typical. Either way, Apple should have a top-notch team dedicated to OSX workstation and another to OSX Server and these teams must not be pulled into other projects, this is foundational for any stable OS.
  • Reply 20 of 37
    Quote:

Thank you for your response however, I was describing InDesign not responding to the Hide command or the Option+Click, and then clicking back on InDesign window that did not Hide makes InDesign disappear for good including its menu bar. It will stay hidden unless InDesign is relaunched.

Thats what I'm talking about too. If you open InDesign, hit command+Q, then open InDesign again, everything works fine. Try it before you post back. Hide does work.

The force quit option you are talking about with your other problem you dont have to do. If you goto Window>"the project name" you will see it there all the way at the bottom. Just click it and it will show up again.