Photos of 2.8- and 3.2-inch iPhone-like touch panels surface

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Images depicting a pair of touch-screens reminiscent but slightly smaller than those employed by Apple's existing iPhone and iPod touch have surfaced on the web, fueling speculation over whether the electronics maker has plans to introduce a smaller version of its phone or multi-touch iPods in the near future.

The photos, provided to iLounge, are of naked touch-screen components from Host Optical, a Taiwanese company that claims it's supplying the parts to Apple for the next-generation iPhone. It calls the parts "projected capacitance touch panels," and claims they contain technology that make them superior to those from Germany-based Balda used in the first-generation iPhone.

More specifically, Host claims the screens lack an aging effect, meaning they'll last longer and won't fade in sensitivity over the years. They're also said to be more robust and resistant to water and climates with high humidifies. However, even iLounge doubts the company's claims that the parts are destine for Apple's highly anticipated 3G iPhone, due to arrive next week.

"To be clear, we believe that there is zero chance that a 2.8” screen is going to be in Apple’s first 3G version of the iPhone, but as a component for an iPhone mini/nano, as well as a fourth-generation iPod nano, it makes a lot more sense," wrote Jeremy Horwitz. "Notably, Host’s displays place two and only two sensors off to the right of the ear speaker, a detail that doesn’t track with what we’ve heard about the 3G model."

Indeed, the vast majority of reports circulating on the Internet over the past few months have portrayed a next-generation iPhone with relatively the same exact footprint as the current version, the only disparity being some added tapering around the edges and opposing views over whether the model would be thicker or thinner.

Intriguing, however, is that on April 29th the Chinese-language Taiwan Economic News cited sources in saying that Apple's second-generation iPhone would be both lighter and more compact than the existing version. In its report, the newspaper specifically mentioned that the "LCD screen on the phone measures 2.8 inches diagonally, a downsize from first generation`s 3.5 inches."

View more photos and diagrams of the panels at iLounge

The growing consensus amongst people analyzing the flurry of next-generation iPhone reports is that Apple may possibly introduce two new models: a 3G model relatively the same size as the current iPhone at existing prices and a shrunken 2.5G model for considerably less.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    meet the iPhone and the iPhone nano...
  • Reply 2 of 50
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I don't think so.

• Reply 3 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't think so.

<image>

Who the hell is that?
  • Reply 4 of 50
    iPhone monkeybucket here we come?
  • Reply 5 of 50
    sikrassikras Posts: 19member
    Assuming 2 new 3G Iphones coming out next week, what would happen to the apple stock?

Would it plummet on high expectations and selling it on the news type of patterns or would apple go higher as analyst might raise the stock price based on the new products? I have sold half my stocks today either direction it's headed.

Can someone start a poll?
  • Reply 6 of 50
    retroneoretroneo Posts: 240member
    They are the same size as the touch screen panels from the already released Samsung F480 and F490.

Check them out as to what you can fit into a phone smaller than the iphone!
  • Reply 7 of 50
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sikras View Post

Assuming 2 new 3G Iphones coming out next week, what would happen to the apple stock?

Would it plummet on high expectations and selling it on the news type of patterns or would apple go higher as analyst might raise the stock price based on the new products? I have sold half my stocks today either direction it's headed.

Well, more normally means good things for Apple.

More options ? more buyers ? more $$$

More choices might mean, buying one, they wanting the other ? more sells ? more $$$$

More options ? more folks buy both ? more $$$$$

More buyers ? more press ? more hype ? more $$$$$$

Let's just say, if it happens it's all good, why, well because it means ? more money (for my stock as well )
  • Reply 8 of 50
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:

I'm pretty sure it will go down 5 to 10 points, as it usually does but then in a month or few, it will go up about 20 or 30 points. If past market history proves to be right.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

iPhone monkeybucket here we come?

Good memory!
  • Reply 10 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

I'm pretty sure it will go down 5 to 10 points, as it usually does but then in a month or few, it will go up about 20 or 30 points. If past market history proves to be right.

Which is why I sold everything yesterday, Though it would have been better to sell on Monday or Today as I'm out a few points from selling when I did.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
  • Reply 12 of 50
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    (edited out)
  • Reply 13 of 50
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:

Quote:

I don't think so.

I agree. These are just someone's way of drawing attention to themselves. Or they can consider themselves NO longer an Apple vendor

Skip
  • Reply 14 of 50
    They aren't going to come out with 2 3G phones. One will be 3G, the other will be the Edge (aka 2.5) version.

Quote:

• Reply 15 of 50
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Quote:

Uh, that poll already exists. It's called the NASDAQ, and by definition the current price reflects the aggregated opinion of millions of people with real money on the line! :-)
  • Reply 16 of 50
    Quote:

Don't know how to start a poll, but I can tell you selling half of my stock is not what comes to mind at this point in AAPL history. How about doubling or trippling your investment.

future AAPL price = (market cap MSFT + market cap Nokia +market cap DELL)/outstanding AAPL shares = (262.00 billion + 101.33 billion + 49.97 billion)/881.62 million = 468.79

A little optimistic, but hey...
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Who the hell is that?

• Reply 18 of 50
    Quote:

Seriously, I have no clue.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Seriously, I have no clue.

Neither do I. But he sure looks stoopid, don't he?
  • Reply 20 of 50
    Quote:

Neither do I. But he sure looks stoopid, don't he?

Yes he does.