Aussie Apple resellers receive boxes with "DO NOT OPEN" warning

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Australian resellers began receiving mysterious packages from Apple on Friday with a warning across the top that breaching the boxes ahead of June 10th would be a violation of their non-disclosure agreements with the company.

mactalk.com.au, which posted the below photo to its forums, notes that June 10th in Australia is actually around the same time of Apple chief executive Steve Jobs's June 9th WWDC keynote in the US. The site adds that it believes the boxes contain a single demonstration 3G iPhone to be displayed by the resellers immediately following the company's announcements.

Earlier this year, the Australian Apple fan site published a report in which it said that local resellers had started to receive guidance from the Cupertino-based company regarding a local 3G iPhone launch during the final week of June.

The report added that the touch-screen handset would arrive unlocked for use on many of the nation's wireless carriers and that Australian Apple resellers, unlike those in the US and Europe, would be privy to market the device to their customers.

In recent weeks both Vodafone and SingTel have announced deals with Apple to market the next-generation iPhone in Australia.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    gregalexandergregalexander Posts: 1,400member
    Why would they deliver a sample iPhone? Most of the rumors are that it won't look much different... not enough difference that people would go out of their way to see one is there????? Interesting...

Anyway, that's quite an early delivery... 4 days till they can open it. I can understand that it's a long weekend so delivery was on the last working day before Tuesday. Then Tuesday at 4am or so Steve gives his talk and they open the box... but surely it's a huge risk on Apple's part to be 4 days early? (is it possible they meant to deliver Monday evening but forgetting Monday is a holiday they said deliver on the previous working day?)

I guess I'll check back midnight on Tuesday morning to see what it was.... before Steve speaks.

(though quite possibly every reseller will be instructed to open it only afterwards)
  • Reply 2 of 61
    emerge3demerge3d Posts: 16member
    clearly fake!!!
  • Reply 3 of 61
    sigs21sigs21 Posts: 82member
    FAKE...

Apple would not risk... steve being upstaged....
  • Reply 4 of 61
    southerndocsoutherndoc Posts: 215member
    Give me a break here.

A couple points:

1. Why would Apple print out a shipping label on a regular piece of paper and tape it to the box? Everything I've ever received from Apple has been an actual shipping label, not a homemade job of just taping a piece of paper to the box. THIS SCREAMS FAKE.

2. Why would Apple place the shipping label on the bottom of the box?

I'm surprised AppleInsider posted this photo. It's clearly fake.
  • Reply 5 of 61
    bluelawbluelaw Posts: 6member
    Hello All,

Just wondered why this article is so confident in its facts?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2084...next-week.html

You think it?s just bad journalism?
  • Reply 6 of 61
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by southerndoc View Post

Give me a break here.

A couple points:

1. Why would Apple print out a shipping label on a regular piece of paper and tape it to the box? Everything I've ever received from Apple has been an actual shipping label, not a homemade job of just taping a piece of paper to the box. THIS SCREAMS FAKE.

2. Why would Apple place the shipping label on the bottom of the box?

I'm surprised AppleInsider posted this photo. It's clearly fake.

Maybe the actual shipping label is on the other side? And that's why this warning label is at the bottom?

But any how it does look/sound fake to me, I mean, its not like Apple hire spys to check up on every single pre-release product package they send out, or electronically GPS tags every box so it sends out a signal when its being opened. I would open it straight away.
  • Reply 7 of 61
    Why is it a fake?

why is it not misdirection?

Why hasnt Brendan (Ireland) posted that it IS a REAL LIVE i(Pad) Touch

or as Steve will announce it inside Brendans head "An iPatch"

Why Hasnt Temp Insanity been opened??

My god! Its full of Stars!
  • Reply 8 of 61
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

or electronically GPS tags every box so it sends out a signal when its being opened. I would open it straight away.

If it's an iPhone, it could send out a signal when it's turned on for the first time.

Count me in the "it's fake" category though.
  • Reply 9 of 61
    netniksnetniks Posts: 1member
    You would score a huge scoop if you could confirm the contents as that of the 3g iphone.

I think whether this is legit or not depends somewhat upon how important the Australian market is to Apple. If they feel that they want or need to have new iphones to display without any delays on Steve?s announcement, then I could accept that this is the real deal.

but c?mon,.. it?s not like we can?t make a pretty good guess of what?s in the revised iphones, anyway.
  • Reply 10 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    If someone from here would have read the MacRumors story on this last night you wouldn't have bothered to post this story. It's photoshopped.

How embarrassing.
  • Reply 11 of 61
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    Sorry lads, the photo was not taken in an elevator nor a coffee shop and therefore is obviously a fake.

• Reply 12 of 61
    ohcomeonohcomeon Posts: 30member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueLaw View Post

Hello All,

Just wondered why this article is so confident in its facts?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2084...next-week.html

You think it?s just bad journalism?

Very bad journalism. Would expect better from a paper of the Telegraph's stature.
  • Reply 13 of 61
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    I'm not saying this is real or fake, but none of the reasons posted here as to why it's an "obvious fake" have any merit whatsoever IMO.

I'm also surprised that someone hasn't pointed out that the box size and shape run counter to the argument that there is only a "single new iphone" inside as stated.
  • Reply 14 of 61
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Just because something would be easy to fake doesn't mean it actually is fake. I say it's real - it's a serious website and source is someone they know.
  • Reply 15 of 61
    tantrumtantrum Posts: 41member
    The only people who have customer-ready, complete 2nd Generation demonstration iPhones this weekend are Mr. David Pogue of the New York Times and Mr. Walter S. Mossberg of the Wall Street Journal. They both have a heap of legal documents from Apple's attorneys that guarantee their confidentiality.

Their professional reputations are on the line if they spill the beans and their employers have signed cross-guaranteed pledges worth at least $5 million each as compensation to Apple if their stories violate embargo. All this, despite the fact that they have a track record of discretion. They have a dedicated Apple tech support on call 24/7 to answer any question they may have on the device.

Have you seen any rumoring or revealing articles about iPhones from them in the last 2 weeks?
  • Reply 16 of 61
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm not saying this is real or fake, but none of the reasons posted here as to why it's an "obvious fake" have any merit whatsoever IMO.

How about this, Australia is an island populated by descendants of criminals so Jobs would never trust new items to be shipped there days ahead of a major event, especially if it could ruin his big reveal on Monday.

PS: I also believe in phrenology.
  • Reply 17 of 61
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    You do have to remember that MacTalk has received tip-offs before and they have, every time, proved legitemate.

And that line about Australians, i take personally. Be it sarcastic or not.
  • Reply 18 of 61
    solarsolar Posts: 84member
    It's a trick. Get an axe.
  • Reply 19 of 61
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    In the words of Elaine Benis from Seinfeld "fake, fake, fake, and fake"
  • Reply 20 of 61
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

You do have to remember that MacTalk has received tip-offs before and they have, every time, proved legitemate.

And that line about Australians, i take personally. Be it sarcastic or not.

Australia is a nation of immigrants actually. And as for you, if you can't take a joke, you're not very Australian***.

My theory about whats in the box: anyone seen that movie 'Seven'?

[ *** in proper Australian this would be "Fuck you if you can't take a joke" ]