Apple assigns new Senior VPs of iPhone Software, Mac Engineering

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Inc. last week extended its executive branch from ten to twelve members, creating a new position to oversee its iPhone software experience and appointing its first senior VP of Mac hardware development, AppleInsider has learned.

Scott Forstall, formally the vice president of platform experience and more recently vice president of iPhone software, was promoted to Senior Vice President of iPhone Software. He'll lead a team responsible for delivering the software found at the heart of the Cupertino-based company's iPhone handsets and report directly to chief executive Steve Jobs.

The Apple veteran holds a Masters in Computer Science from Stanford University and was one of the original architects of Mac OS X and its Aqua user interface. During his 11-year tenure at the company, Â*Forstall has been responsible for several releases of the operating system, most notably Mac OS X Leopard. Prior to Apple, he also worked alongside Jobs at NeXT, where he developed core technologies for the platform.

Joining Forstall atop the Apple's management team is Bob Mansfield, who was named the company's Senior Vice President of Mac Hardware Engineering, becoming the first public face of Mac systems development since the rocky departure of Tim Bucher back in November of 2004.

Butcher, who had held the position under the title of 'vice president' for just six months, later filed a lawsuit against the electronics maker for wrongful termination, claiming he was fired for discriminatory reasons and deprived of due compensation.

In the complaint, he said that Tim Cook, now Apple's No. 2 in charge, suddenly asked him to "go home" one day. Jobs later allegedly told him, "People sometimes think you are manic-depressiveÂ?. I'm not sure what I am going to do, but I think I am going to have to ask you to leave the company."

Apple did not name a successor for Bucher immediately and instead assigned a team of workers to oversee Mac hardware development that included Mansfield, in addition to Dan Riccio and industrial design chief Jonathan Ive. Though there were reports that UMAX founder Peter Mehring eventually succeeded Bucher, Apple never confirmed that information publicly.

The faces behind Apple's iPhone and Mac.Pictured from left to right: Scott Forstall & Bob Mansfield.

Mansfield is believed to be the first 'Senior' Vice President of Mac Hardware Engineering and will report directly to Cook. Under his new role, he'll continue to lead an expansive team of hardware engineers that have delivered dozens of breakthrough Mac products, including the new MacBook Air and the all-in-one iMac.

Alongside their executive promotions, both Forstall and Mansfield were awarded a grant for 25,000 restricted Apple stock units worth more than $4.17 million as of May 30th, the day the two signed regulatory filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Â*The stock units are scheduled to vest in full on March 24, 2010.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    We all probably know people that are manic depressive, bipolar etc. Mental health in the workplace is a serious issue, no matter at what level these issues arise. Not saying the controversy plays out one way or another, its just that I hope awareness of these issues grow and are discussed. It is as important for all those interested in improving religion/ spirituality/ humanity etc.
  • Reply 2 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd say jobs is a prick, but he's some manager of people. As good as it gets. That's where he's strongest.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    macztermaczter Posts: 5member
    "Senior VP of Mac Hardware Development"

That should put to rest the ridiculous suggestion that pops up all too often that Apple is going to quit making computers at some point in the near future and focus strictly on consumer electronics.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by maczter View Post

"Senior VP of Mac Hardware Development"

That should put to rest the ridiculous suggestion that pops up all too often that Apple is going to quit making computers at some point in the near future and focus strictly on consumer electronics.

Yeah, I don't think they waited over 20 years to assign their first senior VP of Mac hardware if they plan to exit the personal computer business =P

Best,

K
  • Reply 5 of 18
    mchumanmchuman Posts: 154member
    A bi-polar person who is in charge of other people?? Parish the thought.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

We all probably know people that are manic depressive, bipolar etc. Mental health in the workplace is a serious issue, no matter at what level these issues arise. Not saying the controversy plays out one way or another, its just that I hope awareness of these issues grow and are discussed. It is as important for all those interested in improving religion/ spirituality/ humanity etc.

Indeed, mental health is a serious issue that is too often pushed under the rug in America at least, and I'm aware it's MUCH worse in more conservative/private societies. Fortunately, It appears that attitudes towards mental health issues have gotten much better than in the recent past, including recognition of the disease of addiction and chemical dependence.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    12 senior vice-presidents, and how many vice-presidents? So much for lean and mean.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I'd say jobs is a prick, but he's some manager of people. As good as it gets. That's where he's strongest.

I'd say you've never worked under him and yes Scott Forstall is a great engineer and solid all-around guy who get's stuff done.

Steve likes to hire folks who get stuff done.

If that means "crack the whip" then you have two types of folks. Those who self-crack and those who constantly get cracked.

You seem to portray the "get cracked" as in your apparent know-all about Steve proclaims.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I like Scott Forstall and I could actually see him being a future replacement for Steve Jobs.

He has a very good presentation manner (irrespective of him looking like a young Steve Buscemi) and he is clearly technically minded.

Let's hope this new VP of Mac hardware starts listening more to consumers and giving us more options. If 1,000,000 people scream they want a Mac shaped like a banana then just find a way and deliver the product.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    How old was Scott Forstall when he was working for NeXT?

He only looks about 16 now!?

He must have been building with objects when others were building with lego bricks?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

I'd say you've never worked under him and yes Scott Forstall is a great engineer and solid all-around guy who get's stuff done.

Steve likes to hire folks who get stuff done.

If that means "crack the whip" then you have two types of folks. Those who self-crack and those who constantly get cracked.

You seem to portray the "get cracked" as in your apparent know-all about Steve proclaims.

What are you talking about? Seriously. Steve is known to be a a jerk a times, Woz and everyone else has said this. He takes credit unjustly for other peoples work etc. but still he's a good manager. End of story. Cracking whips? Whips cracking? I can assure you, you don't know me dude.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I like Scott Forstall and I could actually see him being a future replacement for Steve Jobs.

He has a very good presentation manner (irrespective of him looking like a young Steve Buscemi) and he is clearly technically minded.

Let's hope this new VP of Mac hardware starts listening more to consumers and giving us more options. If 1,000,000 people scream they want a Mac shaped like a banana then just find a way and deliver the product.

Forstall has none of the stage presence and focus of Jobs... very few business people do. Revise that... very few people do.
  • Reply 13 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Alongside their executive promotions, both Forstall and Mansfield were awarded a grant for 25,000 restricted Apple stock units worth more than $4.17 million as of May 30th, the day the two signed regulatory filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. *The stock units are scheduled to vest in full on March 24, 2010.

No wonder they are smiling!
  • Reply 14 of 18
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Forstall has none of the stage presence and focus of Jobs... very few business people do. Revise that... very few people do.

Yes but Forstall's technical acumen is vastly superior to Jobs. I agree with Marvin. Forstall would be my ideal successor to Steve Jobs. I'm watching him. Good to see he's moving up.

I like that he doesn't come off as an uber Geek. Neither does Jobs.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Yes but Forstall's technical acumen is vastly superior to Jobs. I agree with Marvin. Forstall would be my ideal successor to Steve Jobs. I'm watching him. Good to see he's moving up.

I like that he doesn't come off as an uber Geek. Neither does Jobs.

How's his sense of marketing and design? I know of very few hardcore techies with good taste and presentation skills AND the ability to run a Fortune 500 company.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by McHuman View Post

A bi-polar person who is in charge of other people?? Parish the thought.

I would have to say that this could be construed as a discriminatory statement. Not that I'm being politically correct, just wanted to mention, of course untreated, undiagnosed bipolar leads to all sorts of problems for many people.

Sometimes where the employee or employer is not aware of, or not willing to accept, the existing condition, this is where I have seen both sides seriously miscommunicate to each other.

Definitely sometimes, the mental health sufferer must admit that something is not right. At least to himself/herself first.

However, just like asthma, diabetes, chemical dependency, and so on, it can be treated, and controlled for the most part, with people leading productive and successful lives.

It is usually not being under medication, or deep stressful times, that are, the main issue. Like in any life/ corporate situation.
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Indeed, mental health is a serious issue that is too often pushed under the rug in America at least, and I'm aware it's MUCH worse in more conservative/private societies. Fortunately, It appears that attitudes towards mental health issues have gotten much better than in the recent past, including recognition of the disease of addiction and chemical dependence.

Yes, I think awareness continues to grow. Sometimes a manager/ company may just give someone a day off after a long few days. That keeps the employee/ team ticking along well for many, many months.

At an executive level perhaps it *is* more difficult because it is then down to society and customer/ shareholder views of the person and how "normal" they seem or not seem... As in, how much of the "mad genius" streak can they tolerate... I'm not too sure how it is at this level.
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

How's his sense of marketing and design? I know of very few hardcore techies with good taste and presentation skills AND the ability to run a Fortune 500 company.

I don't think there will ever be an ideal successor. It seems like Scott's presentation skills are up there, the iPhone SDK event with Scott and Phil was a good insight on "the next best speakers/ presenters" for the company.