Apple pushing iPhone developers to charge for would-be free apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 151
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Apple promised the option of Free Apps.

its part of my contract with them.

Therefore, everything I make will be free. I refuse to make costing apps at this point.

LMAO! That's just funny. I'd rather provide something people want and can use and also get paid for it. It's kinda like working your butt off to get on "American Idol", then quitting before the final round (I don't watch American Idol, so pardon the example).
  • Reply 22 of 151
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbradley67 View Post

There's POTENTIAL for a ton of free games, but like I said, it remains to be seen.

My feeling is even the most trivial they will charge something...even if it's a trivial price like 99 cents.

Personally from the perspective of an application developer, you don't need to charge a lot of money for the apps, but you should charge something.

Even if you create a little game that just 100,000 people pay just 1$ to download it....that's a LOT of money.

Are you saying that even if someone wants to give something away for free, and it is actually their business if they do, they still should charge something?
  • Reply 23 of 151
    Getting bored with this line of argumentation...
  • Reply 24 of 151
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbradley67 View Post

I was already under the assumption that most of the apps would cost money anyways...

What's a good free app? the AIM client?

Games and everything will of course cost money.

I would be shocked if a high quantity of solid apps come out as free.

How about Darwin, the core of the OS you're using now on your iPhone and Mac?

Or Apache, MySQL and PHP that run the site you're using now?

Really, this idea that no 'free' apps are worth their salt is sooo last milenium.
  • Reply 25 of 151
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:

Apple promised the option of Free Apps.

its part of my contract with them.

Therefore, everything I make will be free. I refuse to make costing apps at this point.

What a nice guy you are.
  • Reply 26 of 151
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robpor View Post

I WISH I COULD FIND DEVELOPERS LIKE YOU TO WORK FOR FREE, ARE YOU LIVING @ HOME @ 30 SOMETHING ON YOUR PARENTS DIME?

SOFTWARE/APPS COME WITH A PRICE, EITHER ON YOUR END OR ON THE CONSUMER.

DON'T SELL YOURSELF SHORT JUST TO PROVE A POINT.

YOUR HURTING THE DEVELOPMENT COMMUNITY AS A WHOLE.

UNLESS THE APPS YOU DEVELOP ARE GARBAGE TO BEGIN WITH!

I'm sure the open source community, as well as those of us who benefit from their work (which, by the way, includes all of us who run OS X) appreciates your constructive rant.
  • Reply 27 of 151
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

I WISH I COULD FIND DEVELOPERS LIKE YOU TO WORK FOR FREE, ARE YOU LIVING @ HOME @ 30 SOMETHING ON YOUR PARENTS DIME?

I am quite offended.

No! I am not living on my parents dime. I get no support from them.

I am a college student doing a double degree (which means practically double the work) as well as working 30 hours a week to support myself.

My apps are free because they will be Christianity related and I don't believe that anyone should be charged to get a bible in the medium they want.

Stop making assumptions.

"I am hurting the development community as a whole."

How? By stopping people having to pay for a resource I see should be free?

I welcome that hurt.

And my program will not be garbage thank you! It is already a long way into development, and looking great.
  • Reply 28 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

iTunes gets you to the iTunes Store.

TextWrangler is really BBEdit Lite. It can be considered to be a gateway drug for BBEdit.

Skype is a front-end to get you to buy some paid services.

Sketch-up has an expensive paid version.

Paid apps for the iPhone ought to be like OmniWeb. Even thought there are a lot of free web browsers, Omni has a core consumer base that insists on paying for their browser because they think it is that good.

You pick 4 out of 13 apps and use this as an argument?
  • Reply 29 of 151
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Please turn off the caps. All-caps writing is obnoxious. Given the caps, I really doubt you have developers working for you. Good programming practices hasn't allowed all-caps for decades now, the same goes with good writing practices as well.

While there are bad hobbyist programmers, I'm sure there are plenty of good, legitimate hobbyist programmers out there. Much of the computer industry that you know today sprung out of hobbyist work. The very idea of a personal computer came from hobbyists who wired their own computers together and shared notes. The same happens with software, some people even share code in a form of open collaboration. Some of those programs are bad, some are quite good.

If someone wants to charge or not charge, that's their prerogative. These people do not need people like you yelling at them. Do you picket Habitat for Humanity because volunteers are taking away work from paid contractors?
  • Reply 30 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Turn off the caps. All-caps is obnoxious. Given the quality of your writing, I really doubt you have developers working for you at all.

I'm sure there are plenty of good, legitimate hobbyist programmers out there.

If someone wants to charge or not charge, that's their prerogative. Nobody needs people like you yelling at them.

Maybe he's currently working for free, thirty-something and living on his parent's dime.
  • Reply 31 of 151
    leptonlepton Posts: 111member
    Com on Steve, let me in to the (full) iPhone Developer program! I'm working very hard on two iPhone apps, both of which I plan to charge for. Isn't it kind of sick that to work on the one that uses the accelerometer, I'm forced to work with the pirate development community rather than Apple, since Apple won't let me place the thing on a real phone so I can test it? I'm hoping that on Monday development will open up...
  • Reply 32 of 151
    netbacknetback Posts: 4member
    In my opinion there are several quite usable games and apps through installer.app on the iPhone. I can't develop worth a crap and I would probably want to make some money if I could but I think there are plenty of people out there that take pride in their programming and just want people to be able to use it.

There are plenty of graffiti artists that can do some pretty amazing things with spray paint and could care less about getting paid for it (Ignore the fact that many end up paying the fuzz for braking the law).
  • Reply 33 of 151
    s10s10 Posts: 107member
    Quote:

Good that you already know that nobody would bother paying for them.
  • Reply 34 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Turn off the caps. All-caps is obnoxious. Given the quality of your writing, I really doubt you have developers working for you at all.

I'm sure there are plenty of good, legitimate hobbyist programmers out there. Much of the computer that you know today sprung out of hobbyist work.

If someone wants to charge or not charge, that's their prerogative. Nobody needs people like you yelling at them.

Thanks for a great post JeffDM. Exactly. If someone wants to develop in their spare time and give it away, so what? Who's getting hurt by their generosity?

I hope jailbreaking will still be around so I can put ANY app that I want on my iPhone as I do today.
  • Reply 35 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by netback View Post

There are plenty of graffiti artists that can do some pretty amazing things with spray paint and could care less about getting paid for it (Ignore the fact that many end up paying the fuzz for braking the law).

There are no graffiti artists, there are only vandals committing property damage. I'd rather they loosened the laws to allow people to shoot to kill 'taggers'.
  • Reply 36 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S10 View Post

Good that you already know that nobody would bother paying for them.

Why go there dude? What to do you have to sell that someone would want to purchase?
  • Reply 37 of 151
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macFanDave View Post

I understand Apple's motivation to make developers charge for their apps, but in the long run, an App Store with lots of freeware will get more traffic and also makes the paid content much better because it ensures that something you would pay for is more valuable than a free alternative.

VERY GOOD POINT!! There are many instances where a company might write a FREE app (such as the medical one noted during the keynote?) where you can look up what kind of pill you have, then perhaps link back to their site for sales or service. Why would you charge for this? And it would put more pressure on those charging to write better apps.

Quote:

My apps are free because they will be Christianity related and I don't believe that anyone should be charged to get a bible in the medium they want.

VERY interested on getting this!!! Will it have maps and timelines? Searching i'm sure is there. It would be very cool to read text, link to a map with current day overlay, or link to commentary, timeline, and even current blogs and internet references. There could be a 'More' icon that can link you to say the Family Christian Store for purchasing other material.

Will we be able to cut and paste or send verses via email or text, or printer (if allowed)??

Can we store favorites??

I am quite interested in this as i was wanting this.

Anyway, eme [email protected]
  • Reply 38 of 151
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

Thanks for a great post JeffDM. Exactly. If someone wants to develop in their spare time and give it away, so what? Who's getting hurt by their generosity?

I hope jailbreaking will still be around so I can put ANY app that I want on my iPhone as I do today.

If you want to give away your software for free, you don't have to do it through the App Store either.
  • Reply 39 of 151
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    This is crazy....LET THE APPS BE FREE!!
  • Reply 40 of 151
    They don't call it the Jesus phone for nothing.