WWDC: What to expect based on consensus

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Okay, Ladies & Gentlemen, before everyone loses the plot I thought it might be helpful to summarize expectations for Monday based on a consensus of what everyone is saying.

1. 3G iPhone with video calling, GPS and 32 Gb

2. OSX iPhone 2.0

3. .Mac rebranded and repackaged to offer new functionality (possibly called .me)

4. OSX 10.5.4

5. OSX 10.6 preview (possibly called Snow Leopard)

6. New version of Safari for both Windows and OSX

And here is the rumour that just won't go away....

7. OSX for Windows

(Could this be the real reason behind the twin Bay bridges? No, it's about OSX for Mac and iPhone, but you never know)

And one more thing...

8. New MacBook Pro

Will MacBook Touch / Newton 2 device show? Too close to call. I say probably not.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tailpipe View Post

Okay, Ladies & Gentlemen, before everyone loses the plot I thought it might be helpful to summarize expectations for Monday based on a consensus of what everyone is saying.

2. OSX iPhone 2.0

3. .Mac rebranded and repackaged to offer new functionality (possibly called .me)

4. OSX 10.4

7. OSX for Windows

(Could this be the real reason behind the twin Bay bridges? No, it's about OSX for Mac and iPhone, but you never know)

And one more thing...

8. New MacBook Pro

Will MacBook Touch / Newton 2 device show? Too close to call. I say probably not.

That's a pretty good summary.

Except #7 will not occur under any circumstances. Apple is both a hardware AND a software company. Part of Apple's success in stability, user experience, security, etc. is the fact that they have complete control over their software, what hardware it runs on, and the hardware itself.

#8 – This makes sense because of the back to school shopping season, but Apple did a minor refresh to the MacBook Pro line a short while ago and there are also no signs that the current line is nearing EOL status. I'd say an update to the MacBook Pro is unlikely. Has anybody ordered a MacBook Pro within this past week? Did Apple withhold your oder from Shipment until say... June 9th? MacBook is slightly more likely, but still unlikely. So called "Newton 2" (an apple tablet) is conceivable because of the emphasis on the mobil platform, but I still think it's unlikely.

I'm not one that thinks the Cinema Displays NEED to be updated, but they certainly could be, and the timings right.
  • Reply 2 of 75
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

4. OSX 10.4

That's just a typo for 10.5, yeah?
  • Reply 3 of 75
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It's a good summary, but I think it's way too many new things. It's going to be all iPhone and apps.
  • Reply 4 of 75
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    I really want number six to happen. If it wasn't for the kinks, Safari would be the best browser out there.
  • Reply 5 of 75
    brlawyerbrlawyer Posts: 828member
    Quote:

2. OSX iPhone 2.0

4. OSX 10.4

7. OSX for Windows

And one more thing...

8. New MacBook Pro

NOPE. It's gonna be following, after my brief conversation with SJ:

1. 3G iPhone, available until the end of 2008 in all markets around the world;

2. OS X iPhone 2.0;

3. Mac.com with a new name;

4. 10.6 preview;

5. New Cinema Displays;

6. AppleTV 2.5;

One more thing:

7. iPhone socks limited edition.
  • Reply 6 of 75
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:

2. OSX iPhone 2.0

4. OSX 10.4

7. OSX for Windows

And one more thing...

8. New MacBook Pro

And the keyword here is "expects."

Geez. People repeat things so much on these forums that they get taken for fact. And what does #7 even mean?
  • Reply 7 of 75
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

That's a pretty good summary.

Except #7 will not occur under any circumstances. Apple is both a hardware AND a software company. Part of Apple's success in stability, user experience, security, etc. is the fact that they have complete control over their software, what hardware it runs on, and the hardware itself.

#8 ? This makes sense because of the back to school shopping season, but Apple did a minor refresh to the MacBook Pro line a short while ago and there are also no signs that the current line is nearing EOL status. I'd say an update to the MacBook Pro is unlikely. Has anybody ordered a MacBook Pro within this past week? Did Apple withhold your oder from Shipment until say... June 9th? MacBook is slightly more likely, but still unlikely. So called "Newton 2" (an apple tablet) is conceivable because of the emphasis on the mobil platform, but I still think it's unlikely.

I'm not one that thinks the Cinema Displays NEED to be updated, but they certainly could be, and the timings right.

IMO, an updated MBP is more likely than MB. I say this because Intel's chip delays are in part due to the chip w/ integrated graphics which the MB uses but the MBP doesn't. I hope both are announced there, but that seems unlikely. I'm still hoping for a MBP update.
  • Reply 8 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

7. iPhone socks limited edition.

Yes! Finally!
  • Reply 9 of 75
    aapleaaple Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Geez. People repeat things so much on these forums that they get taken for fact. And what does #7 even mean?

I took it as meaning OSX would be available to run on PCs... it could also mean that OSX would be available to run in a virtual machine within Windows.

Neither seem sensible or likely.

Please just give us a MBP redesign.
  • Reply 10 of 75
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

Indeed. Innovation isn't expected. If it were, it wouldn't be innovation. And innovation *certainly* isn't generated by consensus.

"If I'd asked my customers what they'd wanted, they would have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford
  • Reply 11 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

Indeed. Innovation isn't expected. If it were, it wouldn't be innovation. And innovation *certainly* isn't generated by consensus.

"If I'd asked my customers what they'd wanted, they would have said a faster horse." - Henry Ford

Innovation is the improvement of something that already exists, so yes there will be innovation. There will not be 'invention'.
  • Reply 12 of 75
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    What's going to happen:

—OS X iPhone 2.0

—OS X iPhone Apps

—iPhone with 3G

—.Mac name change

—OS X 10.5 Leopard review

—OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard preview

That's all, folks.

Maybe, just maybe, low percentage chance:

New MacBook Pro
  • Reply 13 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

What's going to happen:

?OS X iPhone 2.0

?OS X iPhone Apps

?iPhone with 3G

?.Mac name change

?OS X 10.5 Leopard review

?OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard preview

That's all, folks.

Maybe, just maybe, low percentage chance:

New MacBook Pro

Take out Snow Leopard, and I think we have a show.
  • Reply 14 of 75
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    Some things are for sure:

Phone 2.0

OS X iPhone

AppStore

Intro to a few of the new 3rd party iPhone apps

Probable:

10.5 Update at some level for iPhone 2.0

Snow Leopard - and a bit of a chat as to WHY.

.Mac revised

"One More Thing"

What not to bet on:

The xMac

I believe that besides some information on Snow Leopard to get developers moving in that direction most of the Keynote will be iPhone centric. OS X iPhone, AppStore, OS X upgrades to handle iPhone 2.0 and maybe new tie ins with .Mac to make it more attractive.
  • Reply 15 of 75
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Innovation is the improvement of something that already exists, so yes there will be innovation. There will not be 'invention'.

Did you have to search hard for a hair that fine to split?
  • Reply 16 of 75
    pik.pik. Posts: 5member
    what we get...

1. iPhone 2.0

2. OSX iPhone 2.0

3.App Store

4.some OSX Leopard new features(10.5.4)

and one more thing..I hope for a Macbook Mini but I m dreaming...
  • Reply 17 of 75
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    First of all, this isn't the UN. Nobody cares about consensus here. Nobody.

This is the most depressing build up to a top tier Mac event I've ever seen.

No 'way beyond' hype from Apple, no real leaks, no faked mockups (iWalk), no silent updates the week before, and not even enough enthusiasm out there to force the creation of a Temporary Insanity forum.

These Mini-loving switchers and iPhone immigrants from the PC world are clearly impacting the Aqua gene pool. I say send them back, and bring back the days of staying up at past midnight to read about the upcoming Docahedron.
  • Reply 18 of 75
    No new iPhone at WWDC all those "fake" or otherwise, unmarked boxes are for a new Apple mouse, it will have levitational controls that you operate by thinking about how much you love S.P.Jobs.

There will of course be s software update for leopard AND Tiger so that the new mouse will work when you think about how much you love J.Ives

sadly it will be Intel 65bit ONLY!

also a new Apple line of TVs these will be analogue in sizes from a massive 22" up to an AMAZING 26" you will be able to view content ...

... with your eyes!

BOOM!!

one more thing

Apple will be opening new coffee shops and will be rolling out these new Genius beans WORLD WIDE! .. are you getting this?
  • Reply 19 of 75
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Posts: 1,772member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

First of all, this isn't the UN. Nobody cares about consensus here. Nobody.

This is the most depressing build up to a top tier Mac event I've ever seen.

I agree. It's a pretty safe bet that there will be lots of iPhone news. The 2.0 firmware, App Store, maybe 3G.

Anything else is just people fantasizing. Of course, some of it is bound to be right, so the cycle will continue.
  • Reply 20 of 75
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    I have a queston...When did it begin to circulate that Safari wold be significantly updated at WWDC? Considering it's a "consensus", this is the first I've heard of it.