Showing Sanskrit and Hindi characters in Mac OS X. Is it possible?

Posted:
in macOS edited July 2015
A friend of mine has some documents, that are in Sanskrit and Hindi.

They are in Microsoft Word format, coming from Windows, but my Macbook doesn't show the characters in my Word.

Is there any way to look and edit those documents in Mac OS X (Tiger or Leopard) without booting up Windows on BootCamp or VM Ware?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Do you have the fonts the document uses?
  • Reply 2 of 14
    spinnerlysspinnerlys Posts: 218member
    Ah, that could be it.

I have to ask for it.

Are they any free fonts with Sanskrit and Hindi characters rto download?
  • Reply 3 of 14
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    You should ask him if he can save it in Unicode for you. Windows has all sorts of bizarre text encodings for non-ASCII fonts, but Unicode should normalize the issues. That way, you can go get a nice, standard, free Unicode-compliant font with the proper glyphs. (No, I don't know where to get a good one, but I know they exist - I have a couple of pretty comprehensive ones on machines at home. CODE2000 is one such font, I believe.)
  • Reply 4 of 14
    spinnerlysspinnerlys Posts: 218member
    Thank you very much for the fast respones. That's sometimes not a given, with more serious problems of course.
  • Reply 5 of 14
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by spinnerlys View Post

Thank you very much for the fast respones. That's sometimes not a given, with more serious problems of course.

Download this font and all will be well. I've used it.Works like a charm.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    HI,

I'm using Devanagari QWERTY keyboard on Mac, which is working beautifully, but I'm having a difficulty figuring out how to type OM (AUM). I've tried all sorts of keyboard combinations, but haven't figured out the right one for the OM symbol. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

Thank you.

Laura
  • Reply 7 of 14
    nerudaneruda Posts: 439member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by deeptrancenow View Post

HI,

I'm using Devanagari QWERTY keyboard on Mac, which is working beautifully, but I'm having a difficulty figuring out how to type OM (AUM). I've tried all sorts of keyboard combinations, but haven't figured out the right one for the OM symbol. Does anyone have any helpful hints?

What Mac OS are you using? OS 10.2 and later include the Devaganari font (search for it in Font Book application).

What application are you trying to type the symbol in? Office 2004, textedit and various browsers support the Unicode character for the symbol. See this website. The Unicode for OM is Option+0950

To use Unicode in OS X:

1. System preferences>International>Input Menu: select Unicode Hex Input. Make sure that show input menu in the menu bar is checked.

I'm using Leopard, which puts an American flag in the menu bar. Select it and choose Unicode hex imput.

2. In a compatible application (TextEdit), hold down the option key and enter 0950, which inputs the symbol.

Here is the symbol.ॐ You can cut and paste here from here. You will need to use and application that supports unicode (text edit) or the cut and paste will not work.

Let me know if you have any more questions and welcome to AI.
  • Reply 8 of 14

• Reply 9 of 14
    soumyasoumya Posts: 2member
    I recently bought a MacPro fully loaded and was horrified to find that Sanskrit 99 appears as a font but each line in the document needs to be refreshed for the sanskrit text to show up.

Same case with the UWR Palladio font for diacritical marks.

Is there a one time fix for this?
  • Reply 10 of 14
    soumyasoumya Posts: 2member
    Downloads are available from the Omkarananda Ashram Sanskrit 99 and Itranslator99 for these fonts and symbols. The problem is that the opened docs do not get "read" automatically even though the line displays the correct font name and size on mouseover.
  • Reply 11 of 14

Deeptrancenow asked: "I'm using Devanagari QWERTY keyboard on Mac, which is working beautifully, but I'm having a difficulty figuring out how to type OM (AUM). I've tried all sorts of keyboard combinations, but haven't figured out the right one for the OM symbol. Does anyone have any helpful hints?"

Just use Shift/Option/and the letter M  in Devanagari Qwerty, or option/x in Devanagari to get the ?

• Reply 12 of 14

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can hep me.  Im looking for the sanskrit translation for the below:

I need this in high res, or is there a font I can download?  I am working on Mac OS X.

Thanks

• Reply 13 of 14

Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can hep me.  Im looking for the sanskrit translation for the below:

May all be happy

May all be healthy

May all experience prosperity in everything

May all be free from suffering

I need this in high res, or is there a font I can download?  I am working on Mac OS X.

Thanks

• Reply 14 of 14
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Phillz87 View Post

Hi there,

May all be happy

May all be healthy

May all experience prosperity in everything

May all be free from suffering

Thanks

?? ????? ?? ??????

?? ????? ?? ?????????

?? ????? ?????????????? ????????????? ?? ????????????

?? ????? ?? ???? ?????? ????????????

Translated with http://tamilcube.com/sanskrit/, namaste. :)