Rumor has UK's O2 offering 'free upgrade' to 3G iPhone, more...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 22
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

To be honest these deals fit right into the pricing plans that are offered by most carriers in the UK and most of Europe.

Rarely does one pay for a phone over here when getting a contract, it's normally thrown in for free. When you're getting a high end phone, normally you'll have to pay a bit, but even then it's normally free if you take on a big plan (75 pounds a month for example).

Even 269 pounds for the prepay version is about right, considering that it will still be locked to the O2 network.

I have wandered into the Regent St, Brent Cross and Kingston Apple Stores a few times this past week, as well as a few O2 shops. This does sound right. Free with post-pay plans, given 3G and GPS, if so, then no worries there for O2.

£269 for 8GB (maybe 16GB) and £329 for 16GB (maybe 32GB)... like the Apple Store prices. O2 may offer "cheaper" iPhones than Apple Store, in that O2 can offer, even for prepaid plans, free mintues, texting, etc. like they do for many phones and carriers in the UK.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Sounds totally legit, and totally normal for EU.

Yup, from what little I have seen so far being new to the UK

Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacBookBen View Post

I really can't see this happening, I mean...it would completely murder iPod Touch sales.

Depends. Apple may do an overall bump in this way, let's assume for arguments sake if only one new iPhone model comes out:

£269, £329 :: iPhone 16GB, iPhone 32GB

£269, £329 :: iPod touch 32GB, iPod touch 64GB

This maintains the spread in iPhone-released countries, while bumping up the competitiveness/ maintaining the attractive nature of the iPod touch in non-iPhone countries.

Remember that iPod shuffle and iPod nano are all "gateway" iPods to the bigger Apple scene. iPod classic is nice, with decent margins, but really more of a placeholder to upsell to iPod touch. For all those who don't want a new phone but want a new iPod/ MP3 player/ MP4 player/ PDA, the iPod touch is really, the only way to fly.

An iPod touch 64GB would be totally awesome. Remember "non-SSD-class" flash memory is getting staggeringly big and cheap.
  • Reply 22 of 22
    hitbyhitby Posts: 38member
    I've been more than happy with my O2 service and my iPhone, I'd definitely add another 18 months to my contract for a free upgrade

Can't see it happening though