Surprise Prediction for Tuesday....

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
iTunes 8.0!

7 came out in Sept of 2006. Seems like it's time to take it to the next level.

Yes, this is rampant speculation on my part, but if so, you heard it here first.

Edit:

Sorry, will move this to another section. Under iTunes/iPod, etc.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

iTunes 8.0!

7 came out in Sept of 2006. Seems like it's time to take it to the next level.

Yes, this is rampant speculation on my part, but if so, you heard it here first.

Edit:

Sorry, will move this to another section. Under iTunes/iPod, etc.

Nothing would delight me more if iTunes was split up or at least renamed.

iTunes now handles music media, video (TV and movie) media, internet radio, Podcasts, and handles all transactions with the iTunes Store.

Now, one might say that all this is essential for the Windows version of iTunes...but it's not on the Mac. Why can't Apple just split this monster up? The iTunes interface simply isn't elegant anymore. There's too much stuff going on. The interface is forced to change to fit the context (music vs video vs store). It's a mess.

There should be one app (iTunes) that handles just the music/audio aspect. One app that handles the video aspect (not QuickTime...something more along the lines of iTunes but tailored for video). And one that handles the store.

Although I must admit that the last version of iTunes took great care in removing the music-only options from the main iTunes window (such as the visualizer).
  • Reply 2 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    It's on Monday btw.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kim kap sol View Post

iMall? iStore? iVend?
  • Reply 4 of 13
    spamboyspamboy Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

It's on Monday btw.

Well, Steve usually gives keynote speeches on Tuesdays, so I assume that's when any new announcements will happen.

Yeah, I know what you're talking about with iTunes being the one-man-band of media. But it was a natural progression. I think the real issue is this: First they wanted to sell music on the store through the application to tie in with the jukebox and iPod. Then they wanted to add music videos, so sure, that goes into the video section, then TV and Movies.....so they all went into one app. Fine. We get it, and especially since the iPod plays movies, music, tv shows, podcasts, etc.

But now it's as bloated as a body floating in the East River after the spring thaw.

The main problem they're facing now is how to get the music success from iTunes into video success. It's the next new marketing challenge, no doubt, for everyone. No one knows how to make it happen. Apple's not really as well positioned for this as cable companies are. Apple TV....face it, no one's buying it. There's going to be a big convergence of internet and video, but Apple needs to figure out how to make best use of this niche. Apple now has iTunes on 80% of PCs probably, and trying to push Safari onto them too, but people will resist adding one more Apple program to their computer, so a separate video app is out for the time being, so we're stuck with iTunes and Safari as delivery media for movies until then. (Notice the other app I keep including there? Watch for it. (More rampant speculation)).
  • Reply 5 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

iTunes now handles music media, video (TV and movie) media, internet radio, Podcasts, and handles all transactions with the iTunes Store.

Now, one might say that all this is essential for the Windows version of iTunes...but it's not on the Mac. Why can't Apple just split this monster up? The iTunes interface simply isn't elegant anymore. There's too much stuff going on. The interface is forced to change to fit the context (music vs video vs store). It's a mess.

There should be one app (iTunes) that handles just the music/audio aspect. One app that handles the video aspect (not QuickTime...something more along the lines of iTunes but tailored for video). And one that handles the store.

Although I must admit that the last version of iTunes took great care in removing the music-only options from the main iTunes window (such as the visualizer).

Splitting it up would be time-consuming and useless. For most simple folk, they'd rather deal with just one app for all of their media needs. I think most of the argument that iTunes should be split up stems from the name iTunes -- implying music, which is how iTunes started. But as the digital world evolved, iPods evolved, and iTunes evolved with it. Sure, iMedia would be a more apt name, but the iTunes brand is now a household name. It's not iPod + iMedia. It's iPod + iTunes. Most people don't think about the name anymore, it's just iTunes. And also, I'd say it's true that Music remains at the core of iTunes. My use of iTunes is about 95% music related, I'd say.

And the other reason that you already mentioned yourself, splitting up iTunes would make a disastrous mess for Windows users.

Also, if you notice, programs like Front Row or devices like Apple TV (and it's interface) offers an alternate interface for media more focused around video.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Splitting it up would be time-consuming and useless. For most simple folk, they'd rather deal with just one app for all of their media needs. I think most of the argument that iTunes should be split up stems from the name iTunes -- implying music, which is how iTunes started. But as the digital world evolved, iPods evolved, and iTunes evolved with it. Sure, iMedia would be a more apt name, but the iTunes brand is now a household name. It's not iPod + iMedia. It's iPod + iTunes. Most people don't think about the name anymore, it's just iTunes. And also, I'd say it's true that Music remains at the core of iTunes. My use of iTunes is about 95% music related, I'd say.

And the other reason that you already mentioned yourself, splitting up iTunes would make a disastrous mess for Windows users.

Also, if you notice, programs like Front Row or devices like Apple TV (and it's interface) offers an alternate interface for media more focused around video.

Yes but Front Row isn't meant to be used as a video app. And iTunes is terrible for video...have you even used iTunes for video?

I really *don't* think people want one app for all their media needs. It makes no sense. Audio and video need completely different interfaces. iTunes works for audio but simply doesn't for video.

It wouldn't be such a hassle to split it up.

DVD Player would be a perfect candidate to merge the video aspect of things. You pop in an audio CD and iTunes starts playing the music on the CD and shows it as a device in the source list. Well, shit, if we continued down that line DVD Player should be renamed and deal with everything video.

iTunes isn't just bad, it's terrible...iTunes will merge your video stuff under the Music folder...how can that be good? Who cares if it's a disastrous mess for Windows users...Windows users are a disastrous mess themselves. iTunes can remain what it is on Windows but the Mac shouldn't be cursed with such a Windows-like app (yes, my opinion is that iTunes is the closest thing to a Windows app of all Apple products...no focus, little regards to the interface).

Seriously...Apple, get to it.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:

Yes but Front Row isn't meant to be used as a video app. And iTunes is terrible for video...have you even used iTunes for video?

I really *don't* think people want one app for all their media needs. It makes no sense. Audio and video need completely different interfaces. iTunes works for audio but simply doesn't for video.

It wouldn't be such a hassle to split it up.

DVD Player would be a perfect candidate to merge the video aspect of things. You pop in an audio CD and iTunes starts playing the music on the CD and shows it as a device in the source list. Well, shit, if we continued down that line DVD Player should be renamed and deal with everything video.

iTunes isn't just bad, it's terrible...iTunes will merge your video stuff under the Music folder...how can that be good? Who cares if it's a disastrous mess for Windows users...Windows users are a disastrous mess themselves. iTunes can remain what it is on Windows but the Mac shouldn't be cursed with such a Windows-like app (yes, my opinion is that iTunes is the closest thing to a Windows app of all Apple products...no focus, little regards to the interface).

Seriously...Apple, get to it.

Yes, I have used iTunes for video, and it works perfectly fine. And iTunes could easily store video in a separate folder if Apple so desired to do that.

You're missing the big picture here, and that's why you're not making business decisions for Apple.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

Well, Steve usually gives keynote speeches on Tuesdays, so I assume that's when any new announcements will happen.

WWDC 2008: Events

Keynote

Monday, June 9, 2008

Apple Executives will showcase Mac OS X Leopard and OS X iPhone development platforms beginning at 10:00 a.m. at San Francisco?s Moscone West.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Have no idea about iTunes, but it would be nice to see some iApps and third party apps get mentioned in the keynote.

I'm thinking:

? Quark Xpress 8. Just announced, written in Cocoa. Gets back at Adobe for the 64 bit embarrassment.

? QuickBooks and Quicken. Because we need to keep track of what little money we have left.

? iWork '09. OpenOffice is coming.

? Filemaker 10 preview. Or maybe Bento 1.5

Anything else?
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by icfireball View Post

Yes, I have used iTunes for video, and it works perfectly fine. And iTunes could easily store video in a separate folder if Apple so desired to do that.

You're missing the big picture here, and that's why you're not making business decisions for Apple.

No that's not why I'm not making business decisions for Apple...I'm not doing any business decisions for Apple because I'm not done with my masters yet. Simple as that.

It's clear you have no idea what you're talking about and should stop talking right now.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    bclapperbclapper Posts: 237member
    3G iPhone requires iTunes 7.7 - so no 8.0 soon then
  • Reply 12 of 13
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    Leave iTunes as it is, its not actually that hard to use the store part anyway, I use the search bar 75% of the time when looking for music to buy.

I browse the TV Programs part.

Watching video content such as TV shows on iTunes isn't terrible, DVD player does have pros to it (more controls, silencing noise that any other programs make, such as people signing in on MSN)

Splitting it up would be a hassle, I like all of my media together in one place where I can access any of it without having to switch programs.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JoeDRC View Post

Splitting it up would be a hassle, I like all of my media together in one place where I can access any of it without having to switch programs.

Why would it be a hassle? How many times have you listened to music and then decide to watch a movie? Or vice versa. These two activities aren't intricately related. In fact, they two different activities even though they are both considered media.

I don't want to be an ass (I know I come off as one at times) but Pages and Numbers aren't merged into a single app...even though they are somewhat related to 'office' or 'academic' work, they are different enough to warrant being separated from one another.

A much better experience could exist if iTunes was split up. Right now if you're modifying a video's metadata, you still get shown a whole bunch of totally unrelated music metadata (Album, Composer and tabs (Lyrics). Playlists are related almost entirely to music...not TV shows or movies (unless you're setting yourself up to watch a few TV episodes back to back). iTunes is now some weird frankenstein monster with video tacked on. It's big and unwieldy. Why can't it be a slim, elegant audio player? Take a long and serious look at iTunes. Everything about it is elegant on a music standpoint, and everything about it is absolutely atrocious on a video standpoint.

And like I've said earlier, iTunes puts everything in its own folder within the Music folder...regardless if it's a movie, TV show, or song. Nothing about iTunes makes sense (except the way it handles music).

Why would taking DVD Player and giving it a name change and overhaul to work like iTunes except tailored to video viewing be a bad idea? Hint...it's not a bad idea...in fact, it's the best idea that's been put out so far.

If iTunes ever gets rewritten from scratch (presumably because Carbon is being deprecated) and Apple consciously decides that iTunes should handle movie/TV shows...I'll be forever disappointed.