Mac Tablet Idea

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I just had this insane idea. Everyone who I have talked to about mac tablets say apple won't do a convertible, which I totally agree with. But what if they took this tablet idea (http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/dream-tab...ame-258564.php) and you could take the keyboard and latch it on to the side w/o the moniter and then flip up the screen and type. That way you have both a laptop format and a wireless keyboard/ tablet format.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    And then after that the next Macbooks will be like this:

Hardware keyboard, touch screen, but with flip mechanism to be able to used as a tablet if you wanted. When you flip it round the OS changes into Snow Leopard mode, when you flip it back it goes back to Leopard. Possibly.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

And then after that the next Macbooks will be like this:

Hardware keyboard, touch screen, but with flip mechanism to be able to used as a tablet if you wanted. When you flip it round the OS changes into Snow Leopard mode, when you flip it back it goes back to Leopard. Possibly.

Ugh... no no no no no no no

first of all... snow leopard is 10.6 not a touch version of leopard

and also apple will never come out with something that twists... it isnt their style
  • Reply 3 of 5
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    GIve it a twist, give it a rest that thing is hideous.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

GIve it a twist, give it a rest that thing is hideous.

That thing is a mockup some guy made. I'm merely saying the Mac touch tablet will be a slab, not a convertible - but that MacBooks will become convertible-type books when the next newer ones come along after the new ones that are due this year.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneoftheothers

Ugh... no no no no no no no

first of all... snow leopard is 10.6 not a touch version of leopard

Explain how you know this? How do you know it's not a touch version of Leopard. Fair enough it might be called 10.6 (probably will), but keeping the name Leopard in the name of 10.6 and yet adding a word (like snow) onto it implies it's going to be 10.5 with a difference, with something added on (a touch layer). And don't think Steve is the type of guy to try to sell 10.6 on just optimization and security improvements and fixes. Cause that's not going to happen in a million years.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneoftheothers

and also apple will never come out with something that twists... it isnt their style

I disagree. They are, and are going to be in the future, investing so much money and R&D into multi-touch tech they'll want to bring multi-touch to notebooks (besides the trackpad) as well as the Mac touch tablet, and giving existing notebooks touch screens is not the answer to that. It's the wrong angle and you have to reach too far. And two screens one for the keyboard and one for the display eats more battery, and the whole point of the notebook is because those who'll buy it will want/need the physical keyboard in the first place. No I think it's perfectly reasonable to assume they'll so "something" like that in the future.

Designing a mouse that seems to confuse more user that anything I would have though is not Apple's style either, but Apple can surprise. Sometimes badly, but sometimes nicely. I believe this makes perfect sense and would be a nice surprise to users. The Mac touch tablet is going to come out and lots of people are going to say the UI is the best thing they've ever seen but it's simply not fast enough or that they need a physical keyboard for their writing job etc. They (a lot of people) won't buy one for those reasons (though lots of people partially the younger-gen will). And then when Apple brings touch to the new MacBooks and MacBook Pro with use of the flip mechanism those types of customers will get one like pronto. They can type like normal and do their work, and flip it over for play.

The MacBook and MacBook Pro refresh after this next refresh. I.E. Convertible types.

Then the Mac touch which we'll see before them will be the tablet. I.E. The slab with a software keyboard.

This allows Apple to bring real multi-touch to its notebooks (not just silly trackpad stuff), for those people who would love multi-touch, but still need that physical keyboard and the horsepower. And for those who don't mind there's always the Mac touch. Personally I'd go with the Mac touch, but you'll make up your own mind. Yes I am aware the hinge would need to be some seriously special hinge, but I think Apple can handle it. And on the bottom of the notebook case they could stick one of those pop-out rests they'll need for the Mac touch for when the notebook is in tablet, touch mode.