- still with the 2Mpx camera

The significant changes besides software are:

- 3G HSDPA

- GPS

- slightly better talk time

- carrier subsidies

- case refresh

Still, it ticks the boxes for me

And at 2Mpx it takes a hell of a lot better picture than my Razr.

And what is so bad that the miniscule increase in thickness is "negative?" Like there is an alternative that is thinner?
  • Reply 22 of 287
    solsunsolsun Posts: 763member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimMok View Post

Date nite fizzled again.

Plastic back?? man what are we doing there.....

Somebody cleared this up already in one of the rumor threads.. It has to do with an aluminum back interfering with the 3G chip.
  • Reply 23 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

I am VERY happy. And I guess we can finally put to rest the notion that EDGE on the iPhone is anywhere near as fast as 3G (almost as fast, real-world, as WiFi? Whoa.):

And the bombshell that the price is being lowered to $199. WOW. SUPER-aggressive.

Gotta hand to Apple/Steve... this has totally exceeded my expectations/hopes. I'm amazed that the stock isn't going through the roof (yet).

Its not aggressive, its just a change to how phones are normally sold: low or no upfront payment with a carrier subsidy. One of the important things he mentioned is that they are the MAXIMUM prices for the phones. We'll see free iPhones soon enough. I'm sure they'll be popular though.

Apple is slowly coming around to how the mobile industry works.
  • Reply 24 of 287
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

With the price of gas so volatile, I doubt that Apple or any other company can afford to chance what FedEx will be charging in a month or so. At $199, there is not much room anymore.

Anyway, it is still a month away. Give it a chance.

Interesting FedEx addition. Nice one. Didn't think of this.
  • Reply 25 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Where is everyone?

Oh well.

With the new pricing, what's going to happen to the iTouch, which is still priced at $299 for 8 Gb, $399 for 16 GB, and $499 for 32 GB?

Also what about the 8 GB $199 Nano?

Maybe the Nano can make it on size, though I don't know, but the iTouch is now really out of touch.

Is Apple trying to get people off those products?

What's the point of the nano if the phones are subsidised down to $0? A smaller phone doesn't work so well because the screen can't be made much smaller. Maybe a very thin 2G phone one day, but not for a while I suspect.
  • Reply 26 of 287
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone. Stated in this article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...t-connections/

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.

Well, I'd personally worry more about the fact that the state (and probably insurance companies) can track you via your Toll Fastpass more than I'd worry about Apple giving a rats ass about where you are.

But that's just me.
  • Reply 27 of 287
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    If you didn't buy the touch January update will this update include the stuff from the January update?

Or can you even buy this touch update without the January one?
  • Reply 28 of 287
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Still no word on the tariffs either over there stateside or elsewhere?
  • Reply 29 of 287
    pmjoepmjoe Posts: 565member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone. Stated in this article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...t-connections/

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

I'd have to look at the developer docs on this (if available), but from the way it's written, it sounds more like text-like messages getting pushed to the iPhone (which I assume are then passed to a registered application) rather than a persistent connection.

If Apple wanted to track your location, they wouldn't need this feature to do it. Incidentally, they discourage over-use of getting location info because of its impact on battery life.
  • Reply 30 of 287
    cjoncjon Posts: 20member
    Anyone know if the new iPhone 3G can handle MMS? I hate that viewmymessage.com website... will developers be able to create MMS clients that can txt pics as opposed to email them?

Thanks
  • Reply 31 of 287
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    A lot of us already have a Gmail account or something else. What are you guys planning on doing to take advantage of the Push e-mail that Mobile Me will be offering? I've thought about automatically forwarding all my Gmail stuff to a Mobile Me account, but what about making sure that e-mails that I send end up in Gmail. Also, probably my biggest worry is that e-mail accounts are usually so easily spam filled that I'd rather use an e-mail address that can easily be replaced when sending e-mails to people.

Decisions, decisions.

Oh, and did anyone noticed that the pumped up the storage space to 20GB? That's pretty sweet.
  • Reply 32 of 287
    I think it looks awesome.

Hmm, I love the black, but being a show off, I may just have to get the more rare white:P
  • Reply 33 of 287
    mimicmimic Posts: 72member
    I would rather have
    • 5 mp camera

• Ability to store files and then send them from my iPhone

• Ability to print (this one seems easy over WiFi)

• Send contacts

• Send iCal appointments

• Video chat (but not as important as the others)

I can't see why the above list would be that hard to implement. YES, i will be upgrading my iPhone with the new one for GPS and 3G, but just the 8GB as i have no need for huge storage if i can't take anything with me besides music, movies, and photos.

I would love to be on the road, work calling needing a file they lost, and i could send from my iPhone. :: SIGH ::

I guess we have to wait for 3.0

BTW, i think the Mobile Me is huge! Very nice job on the features and the web 2.0 UI
  • Reply 34 of 287
    federmoosefedermoose Posts: 195member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Right now, it's the same iTouch. Same price. Nothing's changed.

Either they'll discontinue it shortly, or come out with another one at some "special event".

I'm thinking it'll probably be just a quiet price-cut.
  • Reply 35 of 287
    Still No MMS?

WTF!
  • Reply 36 of 287
    halfyearsunhalfyearsun Posts: 304member
    I noticed a removeable sim card. The old iPhone didn't have that, correct?
  • Reply 37 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

And at 2Mpx it takes a hell of a lot better picture than my Razr.

And what is so bad that the miniscule increase in thickness is "negative?" Like there is an alternative that is thinner?

Thicker is not better. It's a negative. You like having your phone bigger?
  • Reply 38 of 287
    joebloggsjoebloggs Posts: 45member
    It looks like iPhone 3G still doesn't support voice dialing. What's with that? Handsfree cell phone use while driving is becoming mandatory in most states and much of Europe, and dialing while driving is probably more dangerous than talking while driving. Nearly every cell phone has this feature. And every mac since about 1990 has supported voice recognition. This should have been a no-brainer on iPhone 1; there's no excuse for omitting it on the new one.
  • Reply 39 of 287
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    voice dialing via app store??? or is this a dead issue, calif just past a law about handsfree, voice dialing is hands free, come on apps store do me good.
  • Reply 40 of 287
    robehrenrobehren Posts: 1member
    Wait a second... so is this or is this not the "new iphone" everybody has been talking about? whats this about a front-facing camera i've been hearing about?

my real question is this:

i have been waiting for a phone and saving up for the "new iphone." is this that, or is there a newer one coming out?

any help would be appreciated.