Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Its not aggressive, its just a change to how phones are normally sold: low or no upfront payment with a carrier subsidy.

A 50% price cut, while major new features are being intro'd, is not aggressive? Mmm... okay.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 287
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    double post
  • Reply 2 of 287
    sapporobabysapporobaby Posts: 1,079member
    Did anyone see anything at A2DP? Was it finally implemented?
  • Reply 3 of 287
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Can anyone explain to me Apple's reasoning for the recessed headphone jack on the original iPhone -- and even if it was necessary, why did they change it back to flush (other than rightful bitching by EVERYONE) this time around?
  • Reply 4 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Thicker is not better. It's a negative. You like having your phone bigger?

They increased the thickness from 0.46" up to 0.48"... a 0.02" difference. No one will ever notice it, or be able to tell the diff.

• Reply 5 of 287
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Presenting at its annual developers conference Monday, Apple introduced the new iPhone 3G, which combines all the features of original iPhone with 3G networking, built-in GPS technology, and iPhone 2.0 software.

In the US the new iPhone 3G will be priced at just $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model when it goes on sale July 11. The new touch-screen handset will also be available in more than 70 countries later this year, beginning with customer availability in 22 countries -- Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, UK and the US -- also on July 11.

"Just one year after launching the iPhone, we're launching the new iPhone 3G that is twice as fast at half the price," said Apple chief executive Steve Jobs. "iPhone 3G supports Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync right out of the box, runs the incredible third party apps created with the iPhone SDK, and will be available in more than 70 countries around the world this year."

iPhone 3G gives users ever faster access to the Internet and email over their cellular network with quad-band GSM and tri-band HSDPA for voice and data connectivity around the world. It supports Wi-Fi, 3G and EDGE networks and automatically switches between them to ensure the fastest possible download speeds. The new iPhone 3G also makes it easier to multi-task with simultaneous voice and data communications, so with iPhone 3G you can browse the web, get map directions, or check your email while you are on a call.

Each iPhone 3G will include iPhone 2.0 software which includes the new App Store, providing users with native applications in a variety of categories including games, business, news, sports, health, reference and travel. The App Store on iPhone works over cellular networks and Wi-Fi, which means it is accessible from just about anywhere, so you can purchase and download applications wirelessly and start using them instantly. Some applications are even free and the App Store notifies you when application updates are available. The App Store will be available in 62 countries at launch, Apple said.

The 8GB iPhone 3G will retail for $199 and come only in black.

Additional features available with the iPhone 2.0 software include the ability to do real-time mapping and track your progress with GPS technology, mass move and delete multiple email messages, search for contacts, access a new scientific calculator, turn on parental control restrictions for specified content, save images directly from a web page or email them to your iPhone and easily transfer them back to your photo library on your Mac or PC.

In terms of battery life, iPhone 3G delivers 10 hours of talk time on 2G networks and 5 hours using 3G, with up to 5 to 6 hours of web browsing, up to 7 hours for video playback and up to 24 hours for audio playback.

A 16GB iPhone 3G will retail for $299 and also come in white.

iPhone 3G will also leverage MobileMe, a re-branded version of Apple's .Mac Internet service that pushes email, contacts, and calendars from an online "cloud" to native applications on iPhone, iPod touch, Macs and PCs. With MobileMe email, messages are pushed instantly to iPhone, removing the need to manually check email and wait for downloads, and push keeps contacts and calendars continuously up-to-date so changes made on one device are automatically updated on other devices. With iPhone, you can even snap a photo and post it directly to a MobileMe Gallery to share with friends and family.

iPhone 3G will go on sale in the US on July 11 for a suggested retail price of $199 for the 8GB model and $299 for the 16GB model in both Apple and AT&T's retail stores. Prices factor in a new two year contract with AT&T for qualifying customers. The 8GB model is available only with a glossy black back while the 16GB model will available with a glossy white back (in addition to a black back).

iPhone 2.0 software will also be available on July 11 as a free software update via iTunes 7.7 or later for all existing iPhone customers. The update will cost $9.95 for existing iPod touch owners.
  • Reply 6 of 287
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Where is everyone?

Oh well.

With the new pricing, what's going to happen to the iTouch, which is still priced at $299 for 8 Gb, $399 for 16 GB, and $499 for 32 GB?

Also what about the 8 GB $199 Nano?

Maybe the Nano can make it on size, though I don't know, but the iTouch is now really out of touch.

Is Apple trying to get people off those products?
  • Reply 7 of 287
    pbg4 dudepbg4 dude Posts: 1,611member
    With the way the iTouch users have been treated ($20 for January software update, $10 for v2.0), I wouldn't buy one for love or money. Of course, iTouch users don't have to have a cell plan to use their device, but they probably won't get embedded GPS either.
  • Reply 8 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PBG4 Dude View Post

With the way the iTouch users have been treated ($20 for January software update, $10 for v2.0), I wouldn't buy one for love or money. Of course, iTouch users don't have to have a cell plan to use their device, but they probably won't get embedded GPS either.

Oh man!

We've discussed this payment for so long, it's completely dead.

Right now, it's the same iTouch. Same price. Nothing's changed.

Either they'll discontinue it shortly, or come out with another one at some "special event".
  • Reply 9 of 287
    I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone. Stated in this article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...t-connections/

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Reply 10 of 287
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    No online sales of the new iPhone?

Evidence: Apple Store, iPhone site, and Apple press release make no mention of future online sales. They only mention the Apple retail store and AT&T retail store as "where to buy". The original 2007 press release of the iPhone mentioned the online stores (Apple and AT&T), but the new press release does not and mentions only the brick-and-mortar stores. This is not an accidental omission.

Theory: the iPhone's price drop is possible because cost is now subsidized by the $10 increase in the service plan. To get an iPhone you will now be required to show up in person and sign up for a plan on the spot, to promote lock-in.

You'd think this would be news but Apple didn't announce this change and we're left to connect the dots.
  • Reply 11 of 287
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Magic_Al View Post

Evidence: Apple Store, iPhone site, and Apple press release make no mention of future online sales. They only mention the Apple retail store and AT&T retail store as "where to buy". The original 2007 press release of the iPhone mentioned the online stores (Apple and AT&T), but the new press release does not and mentions only the brick-and-mortar stores. This is not an accidental omission.

Theory: the iPhone's price drop is possible because cost is now subsidized by the $10 increase in the service plan. To get an iPhone you will now be required to show up in person and sign up for a plan on the spot, to promote lock-in.

You'd think this would be news but Apple didn't announce this change and we're left to connect the dots.

Yep, there's no way they would lower the price that much and not do much more to force you to sign the contract.
  • Reply 12 of 287
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:

Interesting. When I bought my wife's iPhone I didn't like the pushy sales pitch of the AT&T people. I just wanted to get the phone and activate at home. They wanted to switch every service in my house to AT&T
  • Reply 13 of 287
    dimmokdimmok Posts: 359member
    Date nite fizzled again.

Plastic back?? man what are we doing there.....
  • Reply 14 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone. Stated in this article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...t-connections/

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.

That's assuming that Apple tracks this data, rather that just letting it through. It's not likely that they are saving it either.

I really couldn't care less, as it can be done with any phone.
  • Reply 15 of 287
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    I am VERY happy. And I guess we can finally put to rest the notion that EDGE on the iPhone is anywhere near as fast as 3G (almost as fast, real-world, as WiFi? Whoa.):

And the bombshell that the price is being lowered to $199. WOW. SUPER-aggressive.

Gotta hand to Apple/Steve... this has totally exceeded my expectations/hopes. I'm amazed that the stock isn't going through the roof (yet).

• Reply 16 of 287
    kenaustuskenaustus Posts: 924member
    The iPhone 2.0 is impressive, even though I'm sorry there was no video chat ability with an iSight camera on the front and full iChat - including with PC users. I'm thinking that we are, to some degree, where we were before iTunes was made available to PC users. Maybe in time for the holiday selling season or MWSF 09.

Question of the week: If you buy your new Mac during the back to school promotion can you apply the iPod discount to the new iPhone?

Another surprise is the lack of more memory. Maybe that's also in the cards for an iChat version hopefully arriving later.

Overall an impressive presentation. Hopefully someone will be there for the session on Snow Leopard scheduled for after lunch.
  • Reply 17 of 287
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

With the price of gas so volatile, I doubt that Apple or any other company can afford to chance what FedEx will be charging in a month or so. At $199, there is not much room anymore.

Anyway, it is still a month away. Give it a chance.
  • Reply 18 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    HAs anyone noticed some of the negatives of the new phone:

- it's thicker

- still with the 2Mpx camera

The significant changes besides software are:

- 3G HSDPA

- GPS

- slightly better talk time

- carrier subsidies

- case refresh

Still, it ticks the boxes for me
  • Reply 19 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's assuming that Apple tracks this data, rather that just letting it through. It's not likely that they are saving it either.

I really couldn't care less, as it can be done with any phone.

I agree with you 100%. Like you said, I just hope they are not tracking with this data. In fact, did you read about this "study" where mobile users were tracked without their permission? It was either on CNN (online) or on The BBC (online).
  • Reply 20 of 287
    jongleurjongleur Posts: 7member
    What's going on Apple! - Just a phone!! so what! No new platforms?, No tablet, no compact? That's right, just a new phone.

O' well, maybe something interesting later this year.