AT&T prices iPhone 3G data plan at $30, nixes rev share deal

Comments

• Reply 21 of 103
    ajhillajhill Posts: 81member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Wow... we're going to be hearing nothing but complaints about the data plan price increase.

Hope it doesn't overshadow the new, improved hardware and the big iPhone price drop.

What price drop. The iPhone 2.0 cost $200 less up front and you pay $10 extra a month, for 24 months, That's $240 more, NET NET the iPhone 2.0 will cost you $40 MORE than the 1.0, for the first 2 years and THEN $120 MORE per year after than.

Price drop? Did I miss something?

Al
  • Reply 22 of 103
    I presume you can no longer walk into an Apple Store and just buy them for this price without a contract...

I thought the only reason you could buy them at the Apple Store is that they aren't subsidized. If they are now subsidized, and you use them with someone else, how does ATT get their $$$ back?

I am confused by the new pricing structure, but maybe they decided it was worth taking the losses on the unlockers... Going to be a nice business on ebay I guess.

Figured they would get you on the data rates as soon as they announced the price for the phone. They have to make up the $120 somewhere...

As above - can I pass my 2G and my $20 data rate down to a family member? What a pain - maybe I will just sell it on ebay too...

Why no pre-orders?????
  • Reply 23 of 103
    smokeonitsmokeonit Posts: 268member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I wonder how the revenue sharing works out for Apple with people who upgrade from the original to the new 2 year contract.

my guess is att has to pay apple for the remainder... same applies to other providers that have the same agreement, like tmobile germany... at least people have a choice if they raise the monthly plans... grey imports are easy to get and with the new pricing in the US prices will drop extremely!!!

$199=?126, + US sales tax of course... but ?150 for an 8GB 3G iphone doesn't sound bad @ all... and combine that with a ?30($47) 3G/voice flatrate (incl. 100min talk time)... sounds good to me;-) prices are gernerallly higher in the EU, cost of living is much higher here... gas is more than triple, rent is more than double... only food is cheaper here...
  • Reply 24 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

i wonder if the settings on the iphone 3G allow to deselect 3G to take advantage of better 2G battery runtimes??? i would love that feature if i know i will need my iphone 1-2 days without being able to recharge....!!!

There was a story about that a few weeks ago.

I didn't see anything that said whether we can can still buy 2G plans.
  • Reply 25 of 103
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    So if I don't need or want 3G, I still will have to pop for the extra $10/mo ?

I assume rates aren't being bumped up for owners of the original iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 103
    4metta4metta Posts: 365member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdenton42 View Post

Doesn't subsidized mean 2 year contract?

There will be ways around that.
  • Reply 27 of 103
    http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

Not a bad price list for the UK. Woohoo!
  • Reply 28 of 103
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    I've been confused about the iPhone and data plans all along. I read on the Apple site the other day that all the plans had unlimited data. The only difference I saw was the number of voice minutes. But I'd heard people talk about adding the data. What's the story there?
  • Reply 29 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

I was hoping Apple would open up the iPhone to more carriers this year. It may end up being a big mistake they didn't. Then again, we don't know the terms of the contract with AT&T. Maybe they just can't get out yet.

how can they open up if there's only one 3G carrier that uses internationally used 3G UMTS frequencies??? tmobile USA uses a frequency no one else uses in the world...!!! only 2G remains as an option to open up... for 2G there att, tmobile and parts of the US that have GSM overage by verizon, but that's a far cry from att's and tmobile USA's coverage...

or am i wrong thinking that verizon is still using tdma in most of the US??? only in parts of the east coast there's limited GSM coverage by verizon??? no???
  • Reply 30 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

I presume you can no longer walk into an Apple Store and just buy them for this price without a contract...

I thought the only reason you could buy them at the Apple Store is that they aren't subsidized. If they are now subsidized, and you use them with someone else, how does ATT get their $$$ back?

I am confused by the new pricing structure, but maybe they decided it was worth taking the losses on the unlockers... Going to be a nice business on ebay I guess.

Figured they would get you on the data rates as soon as they announced the price for the phone. They have to make up the $120 somewhere...

As above - can I pass my 2G and my $20 data rate down to a family member? What a pain - maybe I will just sell it on ebay too...

Why no pre-orders?????

So far the Apple store says you can buy it there.
  • Reply 31 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

I've been confused about the iPhone and data plans all along. I read on the Apple site the other day that all the plans had unlimited data. The only difference I saw was the number of voice minutes. But I'd heard people talk about adding the data. What's the story there?

looks liek att is changing their plans... the "old" plans for the iphone have the data flat included...
  • Reply 32 of 103
    Quote:

how can they open up if there's only one 3G carrier that uses internationally used 3G UMTS frequencies??? tmobile USA uses a frequency no one else uses in the world...!!! only 2G remains as an option to open up... for 2G there att, tmobile and parts of the US that have GSM overage by verizon, but that's a far cry from att's and tmobile USA's coverage...

or am i wrong thinking that verizon is still using tdma in most of the US??? only in parts of the east coast there's limited GSM coverage by verizon??? no???

The new iPhone will also run on 2G.
  • Reply 33 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wolfneuralnet View Post

Why no pre-orders?????

since apple thinks it can improve on security, thus making it much more difficult to unlock/jailbreak the iphone, old and new...

but from what i read, especially @ zibris blog, ziphone.org, the new iphone osX 2.0 is already hacked and he's just waiting for itunes 7.7 and the final version of the iphone osX 2.0 in order to finalize his unlock software...

i think apple will continue to sell openly in their stores and do the authorizing via itunes... it serves their purpose to leave he loophole open for the time being... the more people get the iphone into their hands, unlocked or not, the more will buy apps and use osX and might switch over from their windows machines...
  • Reply 34 of 103
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdenton42 View Post

Doesn't subsidized mean 2 year contract?

Nixed my earlier comment. AI just put up a new article saying in home installation a thing of the past. iPhones bought from at&t or a physical Apple store, must be activated while in the store. Didn't read how they would handle online purchases unless Apple no longer will sell online?

But looks like 4metta will be paying for att&t on top of t-mobile rate plans. Unless somebody figures a way out of that one!
  • Reply 35 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Nixed my earlier comment. AI just put up a new article saying in home installation a thing of the past. iPhones bought from at&t or a physical Apple store, must be activated while in the store. Didn't read how they would handle online purchases unless Apple no longer will sell online?

But looks like 4metta will be paying for att&t on top of t-mobile rate plans. Unless somebody figures a way out of that one!

Where there's a will....

But I won't be going to AT&T no matter what. If that would end up being the only option I simply won't get the iPhone. And many others won't either.
  • Reply 36 of 103
    The previous data plan provided 200 SMS messages with the $20 version, and 1500 SMS messages with the $30 version. If the current $30 plan includes at least 1500 SMS messages, we will not be getting less for more money, though customers who wanted less will be screwed. Have there been any notices about the # of text messages included with the data plan?
  • Reply 37 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4metta View Post

Where there's a will....

But I won't be going to AT&T no matter what. If that would end up being the only option I simply won't get the iPhone. And many others won't either.

if you hate att so much, get the iphone @ an apple store, unlock it, and use it with tmboile without being able to use the 3G features... not the end of the world... as long as tmobile USA has EDGE...
  • Reply 38 of 103
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    If there is no more revenue sharing, Apple might switch their accounting method

for iPhone sales to be like that of iPod Touch sales. In other words, future updates

to the 3G iPhone OS may NOT be free.
  • Reply 39 of 103
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If there is no more revenue sharing, Apple might switch their accounting method

for iPhone sales to be like that of iPod Touch sales. In other words, future updates

to the 3G iPhone OS may NOT be free.

i doubt that very much...

i think apple gladly boxed that model for the iphone apps store... they will make much more $$$ that way... apple will get 30% of any s/w sale via the store....
  • Reply 40 of 103
    festefeste Posts: 17member
    Quote:

since apple thinks it can improve on security, thus making it much more difficult to unlock/jailbreak the iphone, old and new...

but from what i read, especially @ zibris blog, ziphone.org, the new iphone osX 2.0 is already hacked and he's just waiting for itunes 7.7 and the final version of the iphone osX 2.0 in order to finalize his unlock software...

i think apple will continue to sell openly in their stores and do the authorizing via itunes... it serves their purpose to leave he loophole open for the time being... the more people get the iphone into their hands, unlocked or not, the more will buy apps and use osX and might switch over from their windows machines...

I question the wisdom of hacking a device that has a built-in GPS locator chip.

I mean, sure, you might think Apple would have better things to do than track down individual jailbreakers, knock on their doors, and tell them to cut it out. But you'd be underestimating the fun factor of seeing the look on the person's face. Hell, maybe they could get Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones to do it for the cameras once or twice.

Just sayin'...