3G iPhone to be in-store activated; free upgrade for recent buyers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple in the US will attempt to stifle the proliferation of unlocked iPhones by requiring that all of the new handsets be activated at the time of purchase. Meanwhile, first-gen iPhones purchased after May 27 will reportedly be eligible for a free upgrade to the 3G model.

Speaking to Gizmodo, AT&T's President of National Distribution Glenn Lurie reportedly confirmed that there will be no in-home activation for iPhone 3G like there was with the original iPhone.

Instead, all iPhone 3G customers must have their new handsets activated in either an Apple or AT&T store, a process which "takes 10-12 minutes." This should do wonders for the first-day line on July 11, the gadget site speculates. (This was also confirmed during an AT&T conference call, AppleInsider has been told.)

Lurie said AT&T and Apple will provide more details regarding the sales procedures for the new iPhone sometime "in the next week or so." However, he said not to expect online sales of the iPhone 3G at launch, meaning a retail store may be the only place to snag one.

Separately, both Gizmodo and ArsTechnica are reporting that consumers who purchased an original iPhone on or after May 27 will be able swap it for an iPhone 3G at no cost.

The two reports add that AT&T will make all iPhone 3G buyers sign a new 2-year contract which will overwrite any existing contracts. That means AT&T won't tack an additional 2 years onto any existing contracts but will instead wipe existing contracts out and start fresh with a maximum 2-year commitment from the date the iPhone 3G was purchased.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 127
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    This will slow, but not stop the unlocking. Apple has created an antagonistic environment for consumers with their devil's contract with at&t.
  • Reply 2 of 127
    That is going to be a long and nasty line...

Maybe the AppleStore people will know how to activate them more easily.

What an unbelievable PITA this is going to be. So much for getting them to move my existing phone to another line - that would take another 2 hours I am sure...

What fun.
  • Reply 3 of 127
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

This will slow, but not stop the unlocking. Apple has created an antagonistic environment for consumers with their devil's contract with at&t.

If you are required to sign up for a two year att agreement then and there whether purchasing the 3G iphone from an att or apple retail store, does that mean they will be doing the same standard practices across the world? Can you buy an iPhone from overseas? Or will you be tied in with the "carrier" representing that country and have to sign up for and pay for their plans as well.

Why would I want to buy a phone and have to sign up for a contract then and there then go home and "jailbreak" to go use some other carrier? I still would be receiving a monthly minutes bill from the carrier I don't want to be with, wouldn't I???

Or how much would it cost to cancel a phone minutes plan you just purchased to get out of a contract in order to get into a contract from a carrier you want to be with? How will a Jail broken iPhone help out with this?
  • Reply 4 of 127
    In other significant news... Cisco, Intel, Alcatel-Lucent, Clearwire, Samsung and Sprint have formed a WiMax patent pool.

http://www.networkworld.com/news/200...orm-wimax.html

This will speed WiMax development and could potentially provide some competition for 4G (LTE). The window will be closing, so it'll be interesting to see how this goes.
  • Reply 5 of 127
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    I would think at the very least Apple will stay tied to AT&T for a minimum of 12 months. After 12 months rolls by, I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon got friendly with Apple. 24 months after the release of the 3G iPhone would seem more practical for a cut in one carrier only practice.

At this point, I am not sure what Apple is thinking about having their phone tied to one carrier. I don't see the value added in doing this, even if it means no visual voice mail.
  • Reply 6 of 127
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

If you are required to sign up for a two year att agreement then and there whether purchasing the 3G iphone from an att or apple retail store, does that mean they will be doing the same standard practices across the world? Can you buy an iPhone from overseas? Or will you be tied in with the "carrier" representing that country and have to sign up for and pay for their plans as well.

Why would I want to buy a phone and have to sign up for a contract then and there then go home and "jailbreak" to go use some other carrier? I still would be receiving a monthly minutes bill from the carrier I don't want to be with, wouldn't I???

Have you thought that Apple doesn't want you jail breaking the phone to begin with? Just an observation.
  • Reply 7 of 127
    Quote:

They are obviously trying to rope in new customers that have been lost to jailbreaking. I think they are going about this in the wrong way. They are not providing customers with a service they want, which is THEIR CHOICE of service for iPhone. Bloody heck.
  • Reply 8 of 127
    tjp091tjp091 Posts: 4member
    Since ATT just anounced that Apple will no longer have revenue sharing with ATT, and will be just like any other equipment providor, I don't see how ATT can keep Apple from selling the iPhone to other carriers.
  • Reply 9 of 127
    zandroszandros Posts: 537member
    Quote:

If you are required to sign up for a two year att agreement then and there whether purchasing the 3G iphone from an att or apple retail store, does that mean they will be doing the same standard practices across the world?

This is already standard practice in the rest of the world.

/Adrian
  • Reply 10 of 127
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Wow. This is starting to look like a series of stunningly stupid moves from Apple.

I have been drooling over the iPhone for close to two years, just waiting and waiting for it to be available in my area. I was so set to buy one I almost went downtown to the Apple store in case it went on sale today, but now I am not sure I will even buy one at all.

I went from "mildly disappointed" just after the keynote, to WTF?, to "probably won't buy one now."

Aside from the disappointing, "hardly-changed-at-all" hardware feature set and the "not much in it for non corporate users" software update, now I *won't* be able to buy it online and I *won't* be able to use it at all without selling my soul to the local Telecom monopoly?

This whole scenario is so "un-Apple," so greedy, and so totally, totally lame I am speechless.

My last ace-in-the hole position was that I could buy the thing and not use the phone part and still be happy, now I don't even have that? WTF is Apple thinking here? I feel cheated.
  • Reply 11 of 127
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

This whole scenario is so "un-Apple," so greedy, and so totally, totally lame I am speechless.

My last ace-in-the hole position was that I could buy the thing and not use the phone part and still be happy, now I don't even have that? WTF is Apple thinking here? I feel cheated.

You want Apple to sell you a piece of hardware, below (or at cost), and thank you for it?

There is always iTouch. Stop whining.
  • Reply 12 of 127
    johnqhjohnqh Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjp091 View Post

Since ATT just anounced that Apple will no longer have revenue sharing with ATT, and will be just like any other equipment providor, I don't see how ATT can keep Apple from selling the iPhone to other carriers.

The revenue sharing contract is gone, that doesn't mean there isn't any contract. Most likely, Apple gets a flat amount for every iPhone sold, and in return, have to make buyer sign the contract.

Without contract, iPhone would cost $600 to $800 (unlocked), just like other SmartPhones.
  • Reply 13 of 127
    stukdogstukdog Posts: 53member
    I don't mind the contract or the carrier...I just like the convenience of doing it at home.

Bummer.
  • Reply 14 of 127
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tjp091 View Post

AT&T remains the exclusive iphone provider in the US.

http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pi...rticleid=25791
  • Reply 15 of 127
    vinitaboyvinitaboy Posts: 156member
    @Virgil

Good Gawd, dude, get one of those Paul Harvey "pay-as-you-go" disposables and call it a day. (As long as you stay in very, very large metropolitan areas, you'll be fine.) Clearly, the iPhone is NOT for you; and just as clearly, YOU are not the customer Apple is looking for.
  • Reply 16 of 127
    Do you realize that the reason they're restricting purchasing is because otherwise you'd be able to get a $200 iPod Touch by jailbreaking it?
  • Reply 17 of 127
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

My last ace-in-the hole position was that I could buy the thing and not use the phone part and still be happy, now I don't even have that?

The original iPhone wouldn't do much either until you either hacked it or signed up for ATT service.

Quote:

WTF is Apple thinking here? I feel cheated.

Cheated? You haven't even bought the thing! I'm wondering WTF you are thinking here.
  • Reply 18 of 127
    stepstep Posts: 11member
    I don't know about "series" of stupid moves, but I have to agree with Virgil that I am very, very disappointed about this latest development. I have a first-gen iPhone, and was already planning a move up to the second-gen (with my wife getting my first-gen). Unlike Virgil, the enterprise and other features are very enticing to me, and I would definitely enjoy speedier data access and GPS.

However, having to activate in the store just rubs in the already uncomfortable compromise I've made in accepting AT&T as a carrier. So far, the experience has been only tolerable (far from exemplary), and the pricing is just plain expensive.

At least the option to ditch, unlock, and go to another carrier existed (even if I didn't exercise that right). Now they've removed that? Not sure I can accept that, as much as I appreciate both Apple's technology and their brilliant business and technological moves here. Simply put, the US' telecom situation is really pathetic.
  • Reply 19 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Step View Post

At least the option to ditch, unlock, and go to another carrier existed (even if I didn't exercise that right). Now they've removed that? Not sure I can accept that, as much as I appreciate both Apple's technology and their brilliant business and technological moves here. Simply put, the US' telecom situation is really pathetic.

Or, like me, you just want an iPod Touch. If this in-store activation didn't happen I'd be able to just save $100 on my iPod Touch.
  • Reply 20 of 127
    stonefreestonefree Posts: 242member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Cheated? You haven't even bought the thing! I'm wondering WTF you are thinking here.

LOL. It's for discussions like this that make browsing this forum worthwhile.