Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 161 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.

Anybody with a cell phone can be tracked by the provider.
  • Reply 162 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

And then there is CC use, ATM use, every time you log into an IM client or access email. Even email recipients can figure out your location with the embedded IP address. Apple is the last organization I'm worried about.
  • Reply 163 of 287
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkingDifferent View Post

Right. It is the law.

E(nhanced) 911 is a program mandated by the U. S. FCC (Federal Communications Commission). It requires the location of any cell phone used to call 911 can be determined to within 50 to 100 meters. The law takes effect at the start of 2005. That means cell phone manufacturers need to incorporate a GPS receiver in virtually every cell phone.
  • Reply 164 of 287
    icfireballicfireball Posts: 2,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I think the iPhone sales accounting model (subscription accounting) was based upon the

continuing shared revenue from AT&T. If there is truly no more revenue sharing, I

am not convinced Apple would continue the same accounting model for sales of the

3G iPhones. Therefore, I am not certain future iPhone OS updates would be free.

The subscription accounting model has nothing to do with the revenue sharing. It just has to do with how Apple records their money.
  • Reply 165 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While it seems it unfathomable to me that Nokia would fail at optimizing GSM, we don't have any way of testing this until we can get some battery stats.

Either way, it looks like you and Blütnerd are about to go toe to toe in an assumptive argument that will yield no results. Anyone here no how to break down battery stats into real world figures? I don't have a clue!

I go under hot sleep with Somec between keynotes. It's only been 2 weeks for me since the Motorola StarTAC came out. (I'll be suprised if anyone gets that without googling it)

You're not the old person here, and I get your references.

As far as figures go, logic is more powerful and my weapon of choice. We have to trust the figures they give because we have no choice. Unless there is some reviewers who do a decent job of measuring the times, but I doubt it.

The ratio between the two generations is quite good I think. If they fudge the battery numbers chances are they are fudging both about equally. Can you give me a rational explanation of why the ratios would be meaningless? Saying all is unknowable isn't helpful.
  • Reply 166 of 287
    iphone91iphone91 Posts: 98member
    This is a huge step forward for the iPhone a hardware basis. But, there are still some software problems that need to be addresses, such as: MMS, copy and paste, video recording, audio recording and voice dialing. I would not be surprised that when the iPhone 2.0 software is released, Apple will go: "SURPRISE!!!! New features that we didn't talk about @ WWDC!" The voice dialing is a must, because so many states are passing hands-free laws. The others are just logical. I can't wait until July... so many great things to come!
  • Reply 167 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

As we do in medicine. Double-blind tral conducted at the same time.

Hmm. What would you use as the placebo?
  • Reply 168 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Hmm. What would you use as the placebo?

A Blackberry!
  • Reply 169 of 287
    Bold as this prediction is, I think we will be seeing unlocked phones being sold by Apple in many if not most countries. Maybe not in the US because people seem to accept this, but definitely in other countries because people do not.

This is in light of the news that Apple will not be selling phones without activation.
  • Reply 170 of 287
    Quote:

A Blackberry!

Touché!
  • Reply 171 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPhone91 View Post

This is a huge step forward for the iPhone a hardware basis. But, there are still some software problems that need to be addresses, such as: MMS, copy and paste, video recording, audio recording and voice dialing. I would not be surprised that when the iPhone 2.0 software is released, Apple will go: "SURPRISE!!!! New features that we didn't talk about @ WWDC!" The voice dialing is a must, because so many states are passing hands-free laws. The others are just logical. I can't wait until July... so many great things to come!

Three of the 5 items you mention (MMS, video recording and audio recording) can be handled by 3rd-parties if Apple doesn't step up to the plate.

Quote:

A Blackberry!

Quote:

Bold as this prediction is, I think we will be seeing unlocked phones being sold by Apple in many if not most countries. Maybe not in the US because people seem to accept this, but definitely in other countries because people do not.

I'm still running over the dynamics of the in-store activation, but AT&T has little to fear from a locked iPhone. T-Mobile has an incompatible UTMS network and Sprint and Verizon are EV-DO. I guess they fear that people may take this new low price iPhone to T-Mobile to use on their EDGE network, but 3G would appear to be more important than carrier loyalty for most people.
  • Reply 172 of 287
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Right. It is the law.

E(nhanced) 911 is a program mandated by the U. S. FCC (Federal Communications Commission). It requires the location of any cell phone used to call 911 can be determined to within 50 to 100 meters. The law takes effect at the start of 2005. That means cell phone manufacturers need to incorporate a GPS receiver in virtually every cell phone.

E911 doesn't require GPS. Compliance only needed cell tower triangulation to get that level accuracy, however, GPS is a good way to comply.
  • Reply 173 of 287
    Quote:

Three of the 5 items you mention (MMS, video recording and audio recording) can be handled by 3rd-parties if Apple doesn't step up to the plate.

I'm still running over the dynamics of the in-store activation, but AT&T has little to fear from a locked iPhone. T-Mobile has an incompatible UTMS network and Sprint and Verizon are EV-DO. I guess they fear that people may take this new low price iPhone to T-Mobile to use on their EDGE network, but 3G would appear to be more important than carrier loyalty for most people.

Not sure if 3rd parties can do all those things, you might not be able to install software (actually very likely not) that has access to the raw hardware, as would be needed for video recording.

As usually, I'll take the global view and say that no phone company worldwide has anything to fear from unlocking. You've got their money, all the better if they go to another carrier, they still have to pay out their contract, its a plus if they're not using their minutes.

Also it's not like you;re afraid they will go to the competitors, they sell iPhones too! Of course in the US and other places where there is exclusive contracts it might be a different issue. There is also the chance that Apple mandates locking to ensure exclusivity in those countries. That would be bad business though because people hate locked phones.
  • Reply 174 of 287
    mac-sochistmac-sochist Posts: 675member
    Quote:

Anyone here no how to break down battery stats into real world figures? I don't have a clue!

Here's my system: On any device, I cut the claimed battery life in half just on principle. Then I figure I'm going to be in the lower tail of the distribution, so I cut it to about two thirds of that amended figure. I'm usually pretty close.

On the other hand, I notice that if anybody gets three-quarters of one of Apple's "up to ___ hours" figures, it seems to be the crime of the century!
  • Reply 175 of 287
    Quote:

There is also the chance that Apple mandates locking to ensure exclusivity in those countries. That would be bad business though because people hate locked phones.

Not sure if things haven't changed. As Apple describes the iPhone:

In the box
    • iPhone 3G

• Stereo Headset with mic

• Dock Connector to USB Cable

• USB Power Adapter

• Documentation

• Cleaning/polishing cloth

• SIM ejector tool

• Reply 176 of 287
    Quote:

Not sure if things haven't changed. As Apple describes the iPhone:

In the box
    • iPhone 3G

• Stereo Headset with mic

• Dock Connector to USB Cable

• USB Power Adapter

• Documentation

• Cleaning/polishing cloth

• SIM ejector tool

Locked as in carrier locked, so you can't use any other carrier.
  • Reply 177 of 287
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jongleur View Post

Ahhh. . . . now I understand, this is how you've managed to get 13000+ "comments"

You're new.

Just trying to figure out if the post was serious. Sometimes it's hard to tell.
  • Reply 178 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

ALL RIGHT! In after hours trading, AAPL has rebounded back up to $182.45.

I think the coming days should be kind, unless the overall economic situation/oil prices tank stocks in general, hard.

The price didn't drop because of the WWDC. It dropped because of two things. The July 11 release, meaning that a full month will pass before the phone is sold, losing those sales will push them out to the next year, and this atricle which came to me yesterday:

http://www.forbes.com/2008/06/07/iph...partner=alerts
  • Reply 179 of 287
    Why no 802.11n?
  • Reply 180 of 287
    Quote:

I was betting on it falling below $176.50. So far my plan isn't working.

I was wondering about that earlier. I hope this was a tax free account, or it will take a bit of time to recoup.