AT&T prices iPhone 3G data plan at $30, nixes rev share deal

Comments

• Reply 61 of 103
    rmm221rmm221 Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ShawnJ View Post

This is exactly right.

Apple pulled a fast one press-wise. The iPhone 3g costs $40 more over the life of the contract despite the $200 "price drop."

The RDF is strong on this one.

No matter ohow you slice it.. it's still cheaper than anyone expected..... Come on.. How often does Apple release a new and improved product that's $200 cheaper than the product it sold a month prior.. or $400 cheaper than that same product sold a year ago.

We must really be in a recession if people think a $199 3G IPHONE isn't a bargain. I could buy it, cancel AT&T service, jailbrake it, for less than $399.

Try doing that with the old 2.5G iphone.

Does anyone fail to notice unlimited data rates for ALL OTHER phones are more expensive or the same as IPHONE's recently upped $30.?
  • Reply 62 of 103
    Does anyone know if it is possible to just get 2 years of the data plan and no voice plan?

Thanks
  • Reply 63 of 103
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Celemourn View Post

When will they pull their heads out of their butts?

When they stop finding money there. Truly. I'm sure some MBAs and accountants did all the math to figure out how to maximize profit. Happy customers? Only to the degree it affects retention; as long as AT&T is slightly less sucky than the competition, they are satisfied. I think the real place to see what the iPhone can be and do will be outside the USA.

Quote:

In addition, AT&T said it's working closely with Apple to roll out several new and innovative applications that take advantage of the iPhone's advanced capabilities. For example, it's currently finalizing YELLOWPAGES.COM mobile for the iPhone, a GPS-enabled application that combines local search with social networking capabilities, giving users the ability to search for information, share reviews and plan activities with friends, neighbors and co-workers.

This sounds fraught with peril. Carriers (I'm looking at you Verizon) make HORRIBLE applications. Worse than MS, even. Just wait, AT&T will create an app that takes over the iPhone UI; it will be an "always on app". I hope Apple is working closely with them and can keep some of the stupid out. But I doubt it.

I predict AT&T will try to use preinstalled apps as a way to make $$$ and cripple the ability to get to the iPhone's built in tools. iPod? No! Use AT&T's handy music download service! Google Maps? No! Use AT&T's map app.

- Jasen.
  • Reply 64 of 103
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

This is exactly right.

Apple pulled a fast one press-wise. The iPhone 3g costs $40 more over the life of the contract despite the $200 "price drop."

The RDF is strong on this one.

The hacking community is even stronger!
  • Reply 65 of 103
    freenyfreeny Posts: 128member
    I just want to know if my current edge plan is going to go up if i dont buy a new phone.

Will this affect current iphone users who dont upgrade to the new phone?
  • Reply 66 of 103
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rmm221 View Post

No matter ohow you slice it.. it's still cheaper than anyone expected..... Come on.. How often does Apple release a new and improved product that's $200 cheaper than the product it sold a month prior.. or $400 cheaper than that same product sold a year ago.

We must really be in a recession if people think a $199 3G IPHONE isn't a bargain. I could buy it, cancel AT&T service, jailbrake it, for less than $399.

Try doing that with the old 2.5G iphone.

Does anyone fail to notice unlimited data rates for ALL OTHER phones are more expensive or the same as IPHONE's recently upped $30.?

You seem to misunderstand.

The comparison was that the new iPhone is $200 cheaper than the model it replaced. That's what the RDF gave us and what the media is parroting back without looking at the true cost of the device. The true cost of the new model is $40 *more* expensive than the old model over the life of the 2-year contract. All Apple really did was lower the cost of entry. Now don't get me wrong, lowering the cost of entry certainly makes it easier for a lot of people to buy an iPhone- especially younger people. But it's just plain wrong to suggest the phone is cheaper.
  • Reply 67 of 103
    celemourncelemourn Posts: 769member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smokeonit View Post

you DO know that unlocking is legal, right???

Actually, I think that would be even funnier. End up with the customer star struck for a second or two, till J an K announce why they're there, then dude gets pissed off, cusses them out, slam the door in their face and calls the cops (trespassing). THAT would be funny.
  • Reply 68 of 103
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

You seem to misunderstand.

The comparison was that the new iPhone is $200 cheaper than the model it replaced. That's what the RDF gave us and what the media is parroting back without looking at the true cost of the device. The true cost of the new model is $40 *more* expensive than the old model over the life of the 2-year contract. All Apple really did was lower the cost of entry. Now don't get me wrong, lowering the cost of entry certainly makes it easier for a lot of people to buy an iPhone- especially younger people. But it's just plain wrong to suggest the phone is cheaper.

Does anyone know if the 3G plan is going to be mandatory? If you can get away with the 2G plan, then it really is a price reduction. At any rate, it's not as if you're not getting anything more for the extra money.
  • Reply 69 of 103
    fabsgwufabsgwu Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macd-to-death View Post

The previous data plan provided 200 SMS messages with the $20 version, and 1500 SMS messages with the $30 version. If the current $30 plan includes at least 1500 SMS messages, we will not be getting less for more money, though customers who wanted less will be screwed. Have there been any notices about the # of text messages included with the data plan?

That's all I'm interested in. AT&T should throw in some extra txting for the base plan; it's not like it would cost them anything and it would add some value for the customers who are faced with some pretty steep fee-creep these days.

The 3G iPhone customers will not only end up paying more monthly, but they're also more likely to use additional services that will generate even higher bills, throw us a bone!
  • Reply 70 of 103
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Really? So are you saying that it would be an acceptable accounting practice for a

company to arbitrarily recognize revenue whenever it feels like it, regardless of

when the revenue was actually received?

It's not arbitrary, it comes down to whether Apple plans to have an ongoing relationship involving ongoing costs and thus, revenues spread over the length of that relationship.
  • Reply 71 of 103
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fabsgwu View Post

That's all I'm interested in. AT&T should throw in some extra txting for the base plan.

One YouTube video on an iPhone is probably mor SMS messages worth of data than most people use.
  • Reply 72 of 103
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Does anyone know if the 3G plan is going to be mandatory? If you can get away with the 2G plan, then it really is a price reduction.

That's certainly true.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

At any rate, it's not as if you're not getting anything more for the extra money.

Right.

It's just not billed that way; it's billed, as you know, as "cheaper."

That said, I'm leaning towards snapping up one myself. I'll have to see what the family plans look like when they come out, since that's the type of arrangement I usually have. I'm planning on one for myself and one for my father. I think it would be lost on my mother, since she's somewhat incurious about technology lately and I feel she wouldn't make good use of the phone. That's ironic in a way because the family is mac-centric because of her graphic-design days in the 80's and 90's.
  • Reply 73 of 103
    [QUOTE=4metta;1262272]No I'll be using it to make unlimited WiFi calling on TMobile. Have it at work, home and campus.

I'd previously asked if an unlocked IPhone used on TMobile could make calls using wifi. I was told "no", it could only use wifi for web browsing, but not make calls via wifi--could someone who knows, address this question again. Thanks
  • Reply 74 of 103
    777ipd777ipd Posts: 1member
    "Data plans must be purchased in addition to standard calling plans, which will begin at $40 for both home and business users and include at least 450 minutes of calling time, 5,000 evening and weekend minutes, 200 SMS text messages, and Visual Voicemail."

Ok does this mean we still have the 200 text messages in the $30/month data plan? If so I'm in, 10 extra per month doesn't bother me that much...for 3g speed any way.
  • Reply 75 of 103
    Great.

The iPhone now costs me $200 LESS upfront. And only $240 dollars MORE over a 2-year contract! Sweet!
  • Reply 76 of 103
    I am still pissed about the small amount of minutes and SMS! I need like 800+ minutes and 500+ sms, I get unlimited of both for $40 a month with Unicel!

I guess I will just stick with my 8GB 2.5g iPhone that I got for $250 refurbed but sent it back (blueish screen) and got a brand new one
  • Reply 77 of 103
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stuart Kirby View Post

http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/paymonthly

Not a bad price list for the UK. Woohoo!

It could be better. Compared to people in the US complaining about a $30 a month plan, by the exchange rate, we are paying $60 a month on the lowest plan and the amount of call time just makes it a worthless option.

75 minutes a month. Who only ever talks for just over an hour a month on their phone?

The £35 a month contract is still the only viable one. For just £5, it jumps from 75 minutes to 600 minutes. But yep that borders on $70 a month. Maybe Apple should have enforced a global rates plan too.

The lowest O2 option = (75 minutes + 125 texts) * 18 = 1350 minutes + 2250 texts = £540

The next highest = (600 minutes + 500 texts) * 18 = 10,800 minutes + 9000 texts = £630

You'd be crazy to get the £30 a month contract.

Still none of the other phone providers in the UK are better, they are all rip-offs.

I'd check out the Pay as you go one but the rates for Pay as you go in the UK are horrendous - it's usually 25-50p a minute to make a peak time call to another network.
  • Reply 78 of 103
    foo2foo2 Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by YTV View Post

Obviously you failed to comprehend what I was implied. That customer who depend on 3g high speed data are not going to have their needs fulfilled on current GSM networks.

Ex-squeeze me? I've used other 3G smart phones and the iPhone 1.0 left them in the drawer a year ago. Now, what is it you implied that is so gosh darn difficult to comprehend? That the AT&T 3G network isn't quite as fast as some other provider's? Come on, say it then! As if it makes a hill of beans difference. Is that why you're still afraid to say it? .
  • Reply 79 of 103
    Are people really complaining about paying $40 more in the long run?

You're spending over $1,000 total in those 2 years and $40 is gonna piss you off?

And for those complaining about iPhone not on Verizon... What would it do for Apple? Verizon is committed to LTE. a GSM technology, and will be rolling it out around 2010 (correct me if I'm wrong). So what would be the point of spending a ton of money on R&D and having to go through the FCC again to release a phone that will work on an CDMA network that will not continue to grow (and possibly shrink)?

For those on Sprint.. it's pretty much the same thing as Verizon but with the addition of not choosing LTE as their 4G tech. Apple would have no future with Sprint as WIMAX will not nearly be as widespread as LTE (in the US and around the globe).

And for T-Mobile. Their 3G network uses strange frequencies that no one else uses, hence why iPhone doesn't have a chip that supports them and Apple won't use them as a carrier. Plus does T-Mobile have any 4G (LTE?) plans yet?

Basically, AT&T is the only one that uses "Global standards" for its network which gives Apple the broadest market. Try to understand that Verizon, Sprint, and T-Mobile make up a very very small portion of the market.

So for the unlockers in the US... you may as well buy the current iPhone because the 3G won't offer you anything except for maybe GPS

Now once Verizon and T-Mobile roll out their LTE networks I can understand the complaining of Apple not supporting multiple carriers in the US... but even then Verizon's initial LTE network may only be as big as AT&T current 3G network with no GSM network to fall back to once you leave the supported area and it may take a couple years for them to build up a large enough LTE network for Apple to consider them again. And who knows what T-Mobile is planning for 4G.

So in short its gonna be a long time until we see the iPhone on multiple carriers in the US. I'd say about 4-5 years, which coincidentally is when Apple & AT&T's contract (supposedly) ends.

And with no plans for a 4G tech for CDMA.... CDMA is dying (not dead yet... but dying) as GSM lives on and WIMAX comes into play.

Sorry if I seem to be supporting AT&T in the increased rates... I'm not, not happy at all in fact. I'm just trying to get help people understand what's goin' on.

I am not huge fan of AT&T, but then again I'm not a fan of any corporation. But I will say that I personally have not had many problems with them. I'm not saying they're perfect because they are far from it. And I have to point out that even though Verizon may have better coverage/service I still have heard many horror stories from friends/family/people about them... Though the same goes for AT&T and all other carriers (not one of them is perfect).

And I may be going out on a limb here but... Wouldn't it be easier for AT&T to roll out LTE (as they are already use GSM) than Verizon since they have to move from CDMA to GSM? Just a thought.. may be wrong though.

However I was ready to still pay $400 - $500 for the new iPhone and kind of expected the rates to increase (because, just like all tech, new tech costs more than old tech... Yes 3G is relatively old tech but compared to EDGE its is a heck of a lot newer... And I'm sure the rapid 3G roll out of AT&T isn't cheap either)

So in the end if you really want an iPhone in the US but can't stand AT&T (for whatever reason) it leaves you with 3 options: 1) Go with AT&T anyway, 2) move to a different country with a carrier you like, 3) unlock it and use it on T-Mobile's EDGE network (kinda pointless don't ya think?)

And for whoever was saying that he wanted an iPhone so he could make Wi-Fi calls... Get a freakin iPod Touch! It may be more expensive for the device but it is a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run. And you would have the same coverage with it as you would with the iPhone on Wi-Fi.

All-in-all, the current situation with US wireless carriers is pathetic
  • Reply 80 of 103
    timontimon Posts: 152member
    Let's look at the data cost again since I don't think it's that bad.

iPhone's data plan now costs $30 which is the same as a BlackJack II. So it's not all that bad.

The question: Will there be discounts for service? Since they don't have to pay apple I'm hoping that they'll have FAN discounts. After all you can get them with a BlackJack II so why not with the iPhone? If you can take off 25%, a typical FAN discount amount, that's going to be real nice.

I don't see iChat yet but AOL did have a AIM client so I guess it doesn't matter that much. I'd rather use iChat/AIM than SMS any day. SMS is sooooo old school.