Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 181 of 287
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

Yep, that's exactly what I've already said, except that I posit that AT&T are paying Apple much more. If the 'retail' cost of the phone is around $800 then we can assume AT&T is paying around $600. Less the $240 extra charges then we have to assume that AT&T is getting nailed for around $300+, which is comparable with what most phone subsidies work out to in the US apparently (ref NYTimes article).

It all makes perfect sense.

What makes you think it's anywhere near that high? I don't see that.

There is every reason to believe the technology is getting cheaper all of the time, and so adding new tech, and replacing some of the old, won't result in much of a change.

And if Apple's memory prices are good, that would help as well.
  • Reply 182 of 287
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Here's my system: On any device, I cut the claimed battery life in half just on principle. Then I figure I'm going to be in the lower tail of the distribution, so I cut it to about two thirds of that amended figure. I'm usually pretty close.

On the other hand, I notice that if anybody gets three-quarters of one of Apple's "up to ___ hours" figures, it seems to be the crime of the century!

Apple's battery stats are real world and tend to be as good, if not slightly better than stated. IF you go to their spec page for any of their battery powered products they list how they keep items running instead of turning off everything they can like most other companies.

I was looking for someone who has electrical knowledge and can tell me how the mAh, Volts, Amps, Watts, etc all work out to the amount power being used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

SIM ejector tool

It comes in chrome or (PRODUCT) RED

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gobble gobble View Post

Why no 802.11n?

• Antenna issues

• Power issues

• The iPhone can't even process the 802.11g 54Mb/s limit. I can't muster more than 2.5Mb/s out of my iPhone.
  • Reply 183 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

I was wondering about that earlier. I hope this was a tax free account, or it will take a bit of time to recoup.

Hopefully I will see a drop tomorrow and buy in. I sold last week around 188.
  • Reply 184 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I like Cramer, I even subscribe to his podcast, but I tend to go against him on everything tech. In this case, I hope he is right and Apple falls to $120 again. But I am a little scared now.

Good. Stay scared. You're about the only one who wants the rest of us to lose money because you made a bad decision. I've been saying it won't drop below $160, and I'm not so sure it will even get that low. actually, I'm thinking it's likely it won't go below $170, unless something real bad happens elsewhere.
  • Reply 185 of 287
    Quote:

Well you have to be a bit more attentive if you're not going to be duped. The price went UP not down.

Old price $399, new price $199, $10 extra per month over the life of the contract, $240 + $199 = $439.

It's amazing how people just lap up Steve Job's marketing spiel every time. I guess you believe in 'free' phones too.

Get over it. You can cancel within 30 days per law, so buy the cheap iPhone, cancel and jailbreak and use a cheaper plan... not sure what, if any, penalties those who cancel may be subject too. But this is the only problem I see.
  • Reply 186 of 287
    Quote:

Good. Stay scared. You're about the only one who wants the rest of us to lose money because you made a bad decision. I've been saying it won't drop below $160, and I'm not so sure it will even get that low. actually, I'm thinking it's likely it won't go below $170, unless something real bad happens elsewhere.

I'm just looking for a very temporary drop. I could buy in tomorrow morning at several points lower than before, but I'm holding out. I'm still thinking $165 will happen again this week.

PS: This reminds of Craps when you bet on the Don't Pass line and the roller gives you an awful look or blames you after he Craps out.
  • Reply 187 of 287
    Quote:

You miss the point entirely. If Nokia can get 3G to be 70% of 2G talk taime, why can Apple only get 50% of 2G talk time? The answer, probably because their analog engineering is not as good as Nokia's.

It's got nothing to do with the fact that 3G is more power hungry that 2G, we know that, its to do with the choices Apple have made and the designs they use.

Which model is that, and what are the talk times for both modes?
  • Reply 188 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Here's my system: On any device, I cut the claimed battery life in half just on principle. Then I figure I'm going to be in the lower tail of the distribution, so I cut it to about two thirds of that amended figure. I'm usually pretty close.

On the other hand, I notice that if anybody gets three-quarters of one of Apple's "up to ___ hours" figures, it seems to be the crime of the century!

Wow! That's really bad. you must have no luck with phones. I usually find I get pretty close to the rated figures until the battery begins to age. Then it starts to drop.
  • Reply 189 of 287
    Quote:

Apple's battery stats are real world and tend to be as good, if not slightly better than stated. IF you go to their spec page for any of their battery powered products they list how they keep items running instead of turning off everything they can like most other companies.

That's true. iPods almost always have much better battery life than Apple specs.

Quote:

I was looking for someone who has electrical knowledge and can tell me how the mAh, Volts, Amps, Watts, etc all work out to the amount power being used.

Exactly what do you want to know about it?

I'll try to give a brief idea.

mAh stands for milli amp hours. That means that, in thousands of an amp (milli), how many Amps the battery can deliver for an hour. So if it says 1,000 mAh, it mean the battery can deliver one amp for one hour. That's the maximum draw without damaging the battery. Within tolerances determined by the battery type it should also deliver 100 mA for 10 hours.

Watts is a measure of Power. Volts times Amps gives Watts. Watts divided by volts gives Amps, and Watts divided by amps gives volts.

You can figure out the rest.

Any other questions?
  • Reply 190 of 287
    Quote:

Exactly what do you want to know about it?

I'll try to give a brief idea.

mAh stands for milli amp hours. That means that, in thousands of an amp (milli), how many Amps the battery can deliver for an hour. So if it says 1,000 mAh, it mean the battery can deliver one amp for one hour. That's the maximum draw without damaging the battery. Within tolerances determined by the battery type it should also deliver 100 mA for 10 hours.

Watts is a measure of Power. Volts times Amps gives Watts. Watts divided by volts gives Amps, and Watts divided by amps gives volts.

You can figure out the rest.

Any other questions?

I know the definitions, what I don't know is how to look at the battery specs to determine the power usage for a particular device. For instance, the current iPhone has an 8hr battery life for calls, using the battery specs as a guide how much power is being drawn. Then do this for another device, for instance the Nokia N95, to determine which phone is more efficient. It doesn't account of variances in networks, distances for towers and the antennae, as well as the differences in HW used but it would give a more accurate answer as how efficient each engineered system is over the other.
  • Reply 191 of 287
    Quote:

I'm just looking for a very temporary drop. I could buy in tomorrow morning at several points lower than before, but I'm holding out. I'm still thinking $165 will happen again this week.

PS: This reminds of Craps when you bet on the Don't Pass line and the roller gives you an awful look or blames you after he Craps out.

Unlike the second half of the '90's, when I could be in and out the same day (being able to cover it), I've been holding Apple since I first bought it in mid 2004. I've bought more, but haven't sold.

Now, something interesting.

Right now the rate would be 15% if I did sell. Tot too bad, even though I don't want to pay it. But, I read an article that said to sell long term holdings if Obama gets in, and likely even if McCain gets in.

Why? Because if Obama gets in, the 15% will expire, and will move to possibly 28%. McCain might have no choice as well.

The speculation on this early into the next presidency could drop stocks enough to make up for the difference in the tax rates.
  • Reply 192 of 287
    Quote:

I know the definitions, what I don't know is how to look at the battery specs to determine the power usage for a particular device. For instance, the current iPhone has an 8hr battery life for calls, using the battery specs as a guide how much power is being drawn. Then do this for another device, for instance the Nokia N95, to determine which phone is more efficient. It doesn't account of variances in networks, distances for towers and the antennae, as well as the differences in HW used but it would give a more accurate answer as how efficient each engineered system is over the other.

Ok, from the way you asked it didn't seem so.

I don't see the mAh rating of the iPhone battery on Apple's site. Are you saying you have it?

That's all you really need. Using that number as I mentioned earlier will give you actual draw under any circumstances of usage.
  • Reply 193 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:

This is why comparing the 2G and 3G implementations is interesting. They are independent of many of those variables in a general sense.
  • Reply 194 of 287
    Quote:

What makes you think it's anywhere near that high? I don't see that.

There is every reason to believe the technology is getting cheaper all of the time, and so adding new tech, and replacing some of the old, won't result in much of a change.

And if Apple's memory prices are good, that would help as well.

Because Apple can charge it. They known for their margins. iPods are around 50% for the higher end. I imagine that gross margins are around 50% or so for the new iPhone. If you follow my logic you'll see that it's very sensible.

Or look at it another way. The old phone was $400 + say $300 in kick backs. Do you really thin after such a successful launch they cut the price while adding 3G and GPS? The latter solved their marketing problems. The subsidies solve their price problems. If the phone companies what the phone, and they do, they have to pay. And they will. So Apple has slugged em.

Tell me this: with the utter lack of decent competition, why wouldn't they charge that much?
  • Reply 195 of 287
    Quote:

Ok, from the way you asked it didn't seem so.

I don't see the mAh rating of the iPhone battery on Apple's site. Are you saying you have it?

That's all you really need. Using that number as I mentioned earlier will give you actual draw under any circumstances of usage.

• 2G IPhone - 1400 mAh, ARM 1176 (620 MHz), underclocked to 412 MHz

• Nokia N95 - 950 mAh, Texas Instruments OMAP 2420, ARMv6 architecture 11 based, (332 MHz)
    Quote:

This is why comparing the 2G and 3G implementations is interesting. They are independent of many of those variables in a general sense.

Don't forget that while the Nokia phones you mentioned may have smaller batteries they also have slower processors... but that may not necessarily mean as power efficient. So many variables.
  • Reply 196 of 287
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Why? Because if Obama gets in, the 15% will expire, and will move to possibly 28%. McCain might have no choice as well.

The speculation on this early into the next presidency could drop stocks enough to make up for the difference in the tax rates.

Both awful prospects, bad for the economy, bad for investors and bad for business. Ugh. Might have to sell off all my holdings and move them into tax-free municipal bonds and settle for lousy returns for at least 4 years.
  • Reply 197 of 287
    Quote:
    • 2G IPhone - 1400 mAh, ARM 1176 (620 MHz), underclocked to 412 MHz

• Nokia N95 - 950 mAh, Texas Instruments OMAP 2420, ARMv6 architecture 11 based, (332 MHz)

Don't forget that while the Nokia phones you mentioned may have smaller batteries they also have slower processors... but that may not necessarily mean as power efficient. So many variables.

Yeah but the processors don't usually get involved with talk and if they do you could reasonably surmise that they would be about the same for 2G and 3G. usually there is a separate processor for the base band and one for the 'application' processing.

Have a look at that SGOLD PDF thing from a few days ago, you'll notice that there are two ARM cores in the big block diagram.
  • Reply 198 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Both awful prospects, bad for the economy, bad for investors and bad for business. Ugh. Might have to sell off all my holdings and move them into tax-free municipal bonds and settle for lousy returns for at least 4 years.

Why don't you borrow money cheaply in US dollars then buy Australian dollars. I get 8.25% (on call) on AUD. Buy a forward contract on the AUD so you don't get burnt on the exchange rate. This is called a 'carry trade' for those unfamiliar.
  • Reply 199 of 287
    Quote:

Another "joke post"?

This one was wayyyy funnier than the last though.

• Reply 200 of 287
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

Why don't you borrow money cheaply in US dollars then buy Australian dollars. I get 8.25% (on call) on AUD. Buy a forward contract on the AUD so you don't get burnt on the exchange rate. This is called a 'carry trade' for those unfamiliar.

Although I've been a stock buyer for many years now, I've never gotten into anything more complex than simple buy/sell transactions (never bothered with shorting stock, etc.). What you describe... can this be done through the typical online brokerage?