Apple unveils the all new iPhone 3G

Comments

• Reply 201 of 287
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by internetworld7 View Post

Good heavens I can't wait to get this new iPhone once it's released. Now for the first time I can justify and afford purchasing an iPhone. $399 for the iPhone was just too much money for a guy who will probably talk less than 2 hrs a week.

Get an iPod Touch instead and keep your land line.
  • Reply 202 of 287
    Good heavens I can't wait to get this new iPhone once it's released. Now for the first time I can justify and afford purchasing an iPhone. $399 for the iPhone was just too much money for a guy who will probably talk less than 2 hrs a week.
  • Reply 203 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Although I've been a stock buyer for many years now, I've never gotten into anything more complex than simple buy/sell transactions (never bothered with shorting stock, etc.). What you describe... can this be done through the typical online brokerage?

I think you'd have to go to a merchant bank. But if you have cash its much simpler (ie you don't borrow). When you can get around 8% on your money with almost no risk (Australian banks are very stable) why would you buy stocks?
  • Reply 204 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by merdhead View Post

I think you'd have to go to a merchant bank. But if you have cash its much simpler (ie you don't borrow). When you can get around 8% on your money with almost no risk (Australian banks are very stable) why would you buy stocks?

Sounds like a great suggestion. I'll have to look further into this. If I could make 8% on my money right now, I'd do it.

Hmm... where are you getting an 8% return?

According to this web site, the return is 1.106% for 12 months...

http://www.ozforex.com.au/cgi-bin/forwardRates.asp
  • Reply 205 of 287
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sapporobaby View Post

I am not really a fan of Apple having a persistent connection with my iPhone. Stated in this article:

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/new...t-connections/

Apple will know where I am. Not a fan of this. Of course I can simply not use the application but I do not buy the complete battery life argument. There will be hits but to report to Apple is a bit disconcerting.

Just my 2 cents.

As long as it is not my wife tracking me, I really don't care
  • Reply 206 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

While it seems it unfathomable to me that Nokia would fail at optimizing GSM, we don't have any way of testing this until we can get some battery stats.

Either way, it looks like you and Blütnerd are about to go toe to toe in an assumptive argument that will yield no results. Anyone here no how to break down battery stats into real world figures? I don't have a clue!

I go under hot sleep with Somec between keynotes. It's only been 2 weeks for me since the Motorola StarTAC came out. (I'll be suprised if anyone gets that without googling it)

I get it! get it!
  • Reply 207 of 287
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:

Because Apple can charge it. They known for their margins. iPods are around 50% for the higher end. I imagine that gross margins are around 50% or so for the new iPhone. If you follow my logic you'll see that it's very sensible.

Or look at it another way. The old phone was $400 + say $300 in kick backs. Do you really thin after such a successful launch they cut the price while adding 3G and GPS? The latter solved their marketing problems. The subsidies solve their price problems. If the phone companies what the phone, and they do, they have to pay. And they will. So Apple has slugged em.

Tell me this: with the utter lack of decent competition, why wouldn't they charge that much?

That's not a good reason. Which iPods have a 50% margin? 20 to mid 30's.

You haven't given a good reason . All you're saying is that you think they are doing this, and giving margins that don't exist. By the way, the parts price that we see in the take downs are not the entire cost of the product. They are just the cost of the parts. You can't figure gross margins from them. And gross margins are not profits.
  • Reply 208 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post
    ? 2G IPhone - 1400 mAh, ARM 1176 (620 MHz), underclocked to 412 MHz

? Nokia N95 - 950 mAh, Texas Instruments OMAP 2420, ARMv6 architecture 11 based, (332 MHz)

So, I don't see what the problem is. Exactly what do you want to know. I'm not getting a clear idea.

Are you looking for draw? If so, just divide mAh by the time in hours for max use, and you'll get the draw.
  • Reply 209 of 287
    Quote:

Both awful prospects, bad for the economy, bad for investors and bad for business. Ugh. Might have to sell off all my holdings and move them into tax-free municipal bonds and settle for lousy returns for at least 4 years.

A lot of what to do depends on what we think Apple, the company, will do over that time, rather that Apple, part of the economy, will do.

If we don't sell the stock, we haven't lost anything.

If the stock rises above what the loss would be due to the increase in taxes over the current 15%, then we've still made a gain.

If Apple rises considerably more than the 8% tax-free bonds, then we are well ahead.

We could sell the Apple before this becomes apparent, at 15%, and then buy it back again a month later ( I forget the minimum time allowed). That way we pull in our profits at the lower rate, and allow it to accumulate again.

If you bought Apple back as soon as allowed, at say the same price, including fees, etc (for the sake of simplicity of argument) it would only have to go up 11.12% over the course of the next 12 months to be even with your bonds at 8% if you sold at a tax rate of 28%.

If you have Apple in a tax free IRA or other tax free account now, then none of this should bother you. About 10% of our Apple is in our IRA's.
  • Reply 210 of 287
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

A lot of what to do depends on what we think Apple, the company, will do over that time, rather that Apple, part of the economy, will do.

If we don't sell the stock, we haven't lost anything.

If the stock rises above what the loss would be due to the increase in taxes over the current 15%, then we've still made a gain.

If Apple rises considerably more than the 8% tax-free bonds, then we are ahead.

We could sell the Apple before this becomes apparent, at 15%, and then buy it back again a month later ( I forget the minimum time allowed). That way we pull in our profits at the lower rate, and allow it to accumulate again.

If you have Apple in a tax free IRA or other tax free account now, then none of this should bother you. About 10% of our Apple is in our IRA's.

Unfortunately, my AAPL is not in a Roth IRA or other tax free account. Yours makes sense due to the high dollar amount. I get so annoyed when I read Forbes or similar magazines where they continually crow about making 30 to 40% returns when I'm barely eking out percentages that beat inflation. What the heck am I doing wrong here....
  • Reply 211 of 287
    Quote:

Unfortunately, my AAPL is not in a Roth IRA or other tax free account. Yours makes sense due to the high dollar amount. I get so annoyed when I read Forbes or similar magazines where they continually crow about making 30 to 40% returns when I'm barely eking out percentages that beat inflation. What the heck am I doing wrong here....

Sorry, I modified my post after you were writing your response.

I used to make far more than that through the latter half of the '90's, and got out in late 1999 with just a 20%, or so loss overall. I would have lost less, but my broker wanted to hold, and I listened a bit too long.

Sometimes you just have to buy a really good company, and hold, hold, hold. As I've mentioned a number of times over the past few years whenever we talk about it, I bought Apple mid 2004, at $16.93, and have held it ever since, stopping to buy more at certain times.

That's how you get those large numbers.

People who jump in and out when the market isn't inflating, actually tend to make less. Every time, you pay those taxes, which holds back the rise.

You can't allow the large dips to frighten you. If the company is really good, that's the time to buy.
  • Reply 212 of 287
    merdheadmerdhead Posts: 587member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's not a good reason. Which iPods have a 50% margin? 20 to mid 30's.

You haven't given a good reason . All you're saying is that you think they are doing this, and giving margins that don't exist. By the way, the parts price that we see in the take downs are not the entire cost of the product. They are just the cost of the parts. You can't figure gross margins from them. And gross margins are not profits.

For the old phone: $400 plus say about $200 in kick backs. Bill of materials from teardowns put it at about $250. These aren't exact figures but that how I got to about 60%.

AT&T have stated they are losing money on the new iPhone. That points to their cost being in the $700/$800 range. $200 customer pays, $240 extra charges and about $300 they have to find, which is the normal subsidy on high end phones in the industry.

Of course gross margins are not profits. That's why there called gross margins. But we're never going to know what the profit on their iPhone business is unless they start providing details.

And anyway, it is a good reason. They will charge as much as they can unless they have a good reason not to, such as marketing or building market share. Are you saying they don't maximise profits, maximise benefits to shareholders, as required by law? I think that's a pretty good reason.
  • Reply 213 of 287
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    I just followed live blogging yesterday. Nice and cool, intersting new stuff about the iPhone 3G (evolution, no revolution).

Besides deception of no "one more thing" related to Macs (which I predict will have a separate event in September, as soon as Intel is ready, to unveil the new designs and features)....

One thing I really miss is Apple's own applications in the iPhone. It's all good and right to have developers for the platform... But why on earth should I use TypePad for my small blog if I use iWeb on my Mac? Where is iWeb for iPhone, iPhoto for iPhone (albums, small corrections, presentations), Aperture for iPhone, iChat for iPhone (ok, maybe that one's there)...

I really wonder why Apple didn't concentrate more on delievering their own software to the iPhone.

And... The iPhone is interesting but not as revolutionary as I thought (camera still sucks (front camera I couldn't care less), A2DP (Stereo Bluetooth)...

Other things I miss?

- Nike+ for iPhone. I am not interested in a complete medical check up (app that was announced), but much more in an App that keeps track of my sport performances, weight etc.

- no announcement about new movie or music deals...

Maybe some of these will come soon (after all the WWDC is for developers, i.e. the people who will bring us this stuff). But I feel disappointed from a content perspective.
  • Reply 214 of 287
    bavlondon2bavlondon2 Posts: 694member
    Overall I think the 3g iphone is ok but given that its been a year since iphone was lauched I would have thought it would have had some other better specs. The camera has not been upgraded at all.
  • Reply 215 of 287
    Quote:

For the old phone: $400 plus say about $200 in kick backs. Bill of materials from teardowns put it at about $250. These aren't exact figures but that how I got to about 60%.

AT&T have stated they are losing money on the new iPhone. That points to their cost being in the $700/$800 range. $200 customer pays, $240 extra charges and about $300 they have to find, which is the normal subsidy on high end phones in the industry.

Of course gross margins are not profits. That's why there called gross margins. But we're never going to know what the profit on their iPhone business is unless they start providing details.

And anyway, it is a good reason. They will charge as much as they can unless they have a good reason not to, such as marketing or building market share. Are you saying they don't maximise profits, maximise benefits to shareholders, as required by law? I think that's a pretty good reason.

You're just making up numbers! You don't know any of that.
  • Reply 216 of 287
    Glad i did'nt sell my lphone on Ebay, 3G wow my lphone does everything l need it for.

Back to plastic, the aluminium back looks far nicer.

No video, same megapixel camera.

Keep the lphone you have, update the software, get all the new cool apps when they come out, and you cant go wrong.
  • Reply 217 of 287
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    This topic was somewhat neglected - but I gather that Apple again failed to fully enable Bluetooth on iPhone 2?
  • Reply 218 of 287
    aegisdesignaegisdesign Posts: 2,914member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nasdarq View Post

This topic was somewhat neglected - but I gather that Apple again failed to fully enable Bluetooth on iPhone 2?

Well there's no mention of it in the specs. I hope it's just an oversight as sending vCards and mp3s via Bluetooth is pretty common practice.

No mention of sharing the 3G modem connection over Wifi or USB either, which is a pity.
  • Reply 219 of 287
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Ok folks, I know it's just a handful of us folks, but if you want a better 'Phone" then Apple just provided one for you.

Now if what you are looking for is a better camera, then go check out Nikon, as they have a hell of a line up.

IF Apple had made the "Camera" better, and folks used it A LOT, then they would be complaining that the battery didn't last as long as Apple said it would / could / might …

I think Apple is doing the right things at the right time. YES they could have made some more cool changes, added some more cool features, but less we forgot folks … It's a Fu4356king phone! And it does what a PHONE is suppose to do, and a hell of a lot more. As a great man once said "Don't worry, be happy"

Apple WILL come out with some cool stuff by years end. It when they do, many of you will still complain and find something wrong with it.

Folks, life is way to short to get your panties in a bunch.

Buy what you want, enjoy what you have, and the rest will follow.

Skip
  • Reply 220 of 287
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bavlondon2 View Post

Overall I think the 3g iphone is ok but given that its been a year since iphone was lauched I would have thought it would have had some other better specs. The camera has not been upgraded at all.

Have you tried the iPhone. I haven't seen better pics from friends who purportedly have 'better' cameras. Of course, my experience as a pro-photographer years ago has spoiled me when I see the crap I now am being constantly flooded with.

Check out these which may suit your needs and pocketbook

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-camera-phones/

http://cellphones.about.com/od/topce...top_camera.htm