3G iPhone to be in-store activated; free upgrade for recent buyers

Comments

• Reply 81 of 127
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Hey, you gys seen the UK deal? Pretty cool:

And it will be on Pay/Go too, the details of which are forthcoming. Awesome news, I'm defintiely buying me a 16GB White one on Pay/Go.
  • Reply 82 of 127
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    White is definitely a good choice.

That said, I'd probably even get a white iPhone at those prices (if there were no black ones left). That is by far a better deal than what they are getting in the US.
  • Reply 83 of 127
    That said, I'd probably even get a white iPhone at those prices (if there were no black ones left). That is by far a better deal than what they are getting in the US.[/QUOTE]

What are the US deals like? This UK deal is sweet! so much better than before.
  • Reply 84 of 127
    The way I understood it, it was a minimum of $30 for the unlimited data, then you have to add a voice package to that, which start at $40. So that makes it around 35 pounds, but you have to pay for incoming calls in the US too, unlike in the UK (and basically the rest of the world).
  • Reply 85 of 127
    othelloothello Posts: 1,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hutcho View Post

The way I understood it, it was a minimum of $30 for the unlimited data, then you have to add a voice package to that, which start at $40. So that makes it around 35 pounds, but you have to pay for incoming calls in the US too, unlike in the UK (and basically the rest of the world).

you pay for incoming calls?!?!
  • Reply 86 of 127
    zeasarzeasar Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jensonb View Post

Hey, you gys seen the UK deal? Pretty cool:

And it will be on Pay/Go too, the details of which are forthcoming. Awesome news, I'm defintiely buying me a 16GB White one on Pay/Go.

I lives in the UK, and for £30 you are only getting 75 minutes and 125 txts... that isnt all that good. Plus, I try the option of Pay As You Go on O2's site, they want me to register, with my name, address and phone number, I mean, WTF do they want my address when I just want to register an interest on the PAYG model? I also would very much like a PAYG iphone, but it doesnt look all that good when they dont even tell you what it requires. (some form of not-jailbreaking agreement/ £600 unlocked 16gb iphone?)
  • Reply 87 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by othello View Post

you pay for incoming calls?!?!

It makes up part of your minutes allowance, so basically you do pay for it. You sound surprised but you shoudln't be. It goes along with other crazy things like using 110v, and an outdated measurement system that is far more complex than it needs to be.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by zeasar View Post

I lives in the UK, and for £30 you are only getting 75 minutes and 125 txts... that isnt all that good.

AND unlimited data and use of thousands of wifi spots across the country. If that it's a good deal, well, you're getting seriously spoilt in the UK. In Germany we pay almost 40 pounds for 100 minutes and 40 texts!
  • Reply 88 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stukdog View Post

I don't mind the contract or the carrier...I just like the convenience of doing it at home.

Bummer.

Right on! I'm with you.

Because these fuckers have to unlock their phones, my Apple experience turned into the DMV. Erg.
  • Reply 89 of 127
    Quote:

White is definitely a good choice if you're a girl, or if you're gay, or if you want to confuse people and make them think that you are gay.

Wow. So I assume you never bought an iPod before they offered colours or black? Grow up.

The fact is, the white looks good and will show the smudge marks less. There's nothing"gay" or "feminine" about the colour white. Let's try to be mature here.
  • Reply 90 of 127
    I'm not saying gay in a negative way, I'm sorry if you took it like that. It's just other people will assume you're a pretty boy if you have a white phone like that.
  • Reply 91 of 127
    I don't know a single person who thinks like that, but whatever.
  • Reply 92 of 127
    Maybe all your friends are pretty boy's, again, there's nothing wrong with that.. I don't know why you have to be so offensive about it..
  • Reply 93 of 127
    ijanoijano Posts: 19member
    Quote:

I don't know why you have to be so offensive about it..

I'm probably going to regret getting in the middle of this, but Hutcho, I believe the word you are looking for is "defensive" not "offensive". Or you could say "offended". So sentence should read "I don't know why you have to be so defensive/offended about(by) it"...anyway, carry on with the mudslinging.
  • Reply 94 of 127
    lol. you mean "offended" you are being "offensive" and he is "offended"

think you got your grammar confused because you are so tough, and not a pretty boy.
  • Reply 95 of 127
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:

Maybe all your friends are pretty boy's, again, there's nothing wrong with that.. I don't know why you have to be so offensive about it..

Just shut up already.
  • Reply 96 of 127
    aduzikaduzik Posts: 94member
    Let's not forget why they're doing this. At $199, Apple is clearly receiving a rather large subsidy from AT&T to bring the phone down to this price. That means Apple gets paid probably $200 every time they sell or, more likely, activate an iPhone. If Apple lets unactivated phones out of the store that later get unlocked, Apple loses money.

Contrast this state of affairs with the original iPhone where, if the phone was unlocked Apple lost out only on the revenue sharing but still profited off the sale of the device. Since this subsidy arrangement is the simplest way to lower the price of the iPhone, Apple and AT&T have a far greater motivation for preventing unlocking than before.
  • Reply 97 of 127
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aduzik View Post

Let's not forget why they're doing this. At $199, Apple is clearly receiving a rather large subsidy from AT&T to bring the phone down to this price. That means Apple gets paid probably $200 every time they sell or, more likely, activate an iPhone. If Apple lets unactivated phones out of the store that later get unlocked, Apple loses money.

It's actually the customer who is receiving the subsidy, not Apple, although the net effect is about the same. Up until yesterday, the customer paid $399 for an iPhone, of which Apple received $399. Today, the customer pays $199, AT&T pays $200; Apple still receives $399.
  • Reply 98 of 127
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by polvadis View Post

I just really want Verizon to stop making its users buy their "iPhone killers" and start simply supporting the iPhone. I really don't like AT&T's service and it doesn't get any reception in my apartment while my Verizon phone gets full bars.

I know that Verizon is on a different network so it's not that easy to get iPhone to play nice with it, but can anyone imagine the millions of $$$ it would pay off if Verizon would get the iPhone already? I know it would have my $199...

I would switch back to Verizon in an instant if they supported the iPhone. I can't stand AT&T because their service and network truly suck ass.

I'm not going to upgrade to iPhone 3g because it is a waste of time. 3g is NOT hat big of a deal because it will still be slower than WiFi. So when you are not on WiFi, you will still not be happy. GPS is ok, but I already have a map on my iPhone and I can already locate myself on the map.

Plus, the new iphone is thicker and has a cheap plastic back. The only good thing about the 3g iPhone is the flush headphone jack and better life.

The flush headphone jack should have been there from the beginning. I'm not sure which Apple Genius decided not to make it flush in the first place, they should be fired.
  • Reply 99 of 127
    drjjonesdrjjones Posts: 162member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

I would switch back to Verizon in an instant if they supported the iPhone. I can't stand AT&T because their service and network truly suck ass.

I'm not going to upgrade to iPhone 3g because it is a waste of time. 3g is NOT hat big of a deal because it will still be slower than WiFi. So when you are not on WiFi, you will still not be happy. GPS is ok, but I already have a map on my iPhone and I can already locate myself on the map.

Plus, the new iphone is thicker and has a cheap plastic back. The only good thing about the 3g iPhone is the flush headphone jack and better life.

The flush headphone jack should have been there from the beginning. I'm not sure which Apple Genius decided not to make it flush in the first place, they should be fired.

Steve will fire himself tomorrow. He thanks you for the thought .
  • Reply 100 of 127
    If you can't work out why any of that's offensive, fine. I'm not going to bother explaining it though because if you were going to understand you'd already know.

Moving on, I sure hope O2 aren't going to launch Pay/Go iPhones after July 11. That would suck royally.