O2 offering existing iPhone customers free iPhone 3G upgrades

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Existing iPhone owners on the UK's O2 wireless network are being offered a free upgrade to Apple's just-announced iPhone 3G if they agree to a new 18-month contract and sign up for one of the carrier's pricier tariffs.

"To thank you for being an iPhone fan, we're offering you an early upgrade to the brand new version when it launches on 11th July 2008," the company wrote in a note to subscribers. "You won't have to wait until the end of your existing contract, all you'll need to do is agree to a new 18-month minimum term contract."

The special early upgrade offer will only be available online at o2.co.uk during the three-month stretch spanning July 11th to October 11th.

Specifically, it offers a free upgrade to the 8GB iPhone 3G model for existing iPhone customers who agree to a new 18-month contract and subscribe to the company's £45 or £75 Pay Monthly tariff. Alternatively, customers can get the 8GB model for £99 when they subscribe to the existing £35 tariff and all new £30 tariff.

Those customers subscribe to the high-end £75 tariff can also choose a 16GB iPhone 3G for free. The 16GB handset will cost just £59 with the £45 tariff, and £159 with either the £30 or £35 tariff.

All tariffs include unlimited browsing on the iPhone, unlimited Wi-Fi access, visual voicemail and reduced roaming rates with O2's International Traveller Service.

O2's iPhone 3G Monthly Tariffs.

After upgrading to an iPhone 3G, owners of the original iPhone will be able to transfer their old handset to a friend or family member already on an eligible O2 tariff, who will then need to upgrade to one of the carrier's iPhone tariffs. If they friend or family member is not already an O2 customer, they can still use the first-generation iPhone by purchasing a new iPhone Pay & Go SIM card.

Separately, O2 also announced that customers will soon be able to enjoy all the great features of iPhone without a monthly contract with the iPhone for Pay & Go. The carrier promises additional details on all its iPhone 3G offers in a "in a few days" and recommends that subscribers register their interest to receive the most up-to-date news.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    This is pretty fair considering. What will happen to the old iPhone, have to send it back to Apple/o2?

Anyone like to guess how much the PAYG will cost? 8gb - £269?
  • Reply 2 of 30
    revsrevs Posts: 93member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jameshopkins View Post

TWhat will happen to the old iPhone, have to send it back to Apple/o2?

The old phone is yours, you can do withit what you want. I will see how much they sell for on ebay, and get a 8 or 16GB based on that.

With people having to sign contract before getting an iPhone for the nw low price I see there still being a good demand for the old iPhone.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:

This is pretty fair considering. What will happen to the old iPhone, have to send it back to Apple/o2?

You can buy one of the 'PayandGo' SIMS from O2 for the iPhone and then pass it on to a member of your family if you like. A nice way to get an iPhone for those who can't afford to buy one or the pay the monthly fees.
  • Reply 4 of 30
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:

We just updated the article with this information.

K
  • Reply 5 of 30
    hutchohutcho Posts: 132member
    If the deal in Germany is anything close to the deal you're getting in the UK, I'll be well happy. These plans are excellent.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by revs View Post

The old phone is yours, you can do withit what you want. I will see how much they sell for on ebay, and get a 8 or 16GB based on that.

With people having to sign contract before getting an iPhone for the nw low price I see there still being a good demand for the old iPhone.

So is the old iPhone still activated and usable?
  • Reply 7 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post

So is the old iPhone still activated and usable?

Just read the info provided.

The old phone will need a new Pay and Go SIM or be transferred to an existing O2 customer account. Once that is done, it will still be activated and usable.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    "Specifically, it offers a free upgrade to the 8GB iPhone 3G model for existing iPhone customers who agree to a new 18-month contract and subscribe to the company's £45 or £75 Pay Monthly tariff"

... er, anyone can get the new iPhone free if they sign up to one of those tariffs. They're not actually offering existing iPhone users anything, except allowing them to bin their old contract in exchange for a new one.
  • Reply 9 of 30
    flynifrflynifr Posts: 4member
    Once again we will get screwed by AT&T! If we get a 3G iPhone we have to sign a new contract for $10 more per month and no mention of any subsidized pricing. Considering that they no longer have the profit sharing deal with Apple, AT&T should be dropping the contract price and subsidizing the phones. The big winners in the release of the 3G iPhone are AT&T and Apple. The customer is getting screwed for the sake of a little extra battery life and a faster connection in only limited markets of AT&T's network. That being said, I'll still fork out the bucks for a 3G iPhone.
  • Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flynifr View Post

Once again we will get screwed by AT&T! If we get a 3G iPhone we have to sign a new contract for $10 more per month and no mention of any subsidized pricing. Considering that they no longer have the profit sharing deal with Apple, AT&T should be dropping the contract price and subsidizing the phones. The big winners in the release of the 3G iPhone are AT&T and Apple. The customer is getting screwed for the sake of a little extra battery life and a faster connection in only limited markets of AT&T's network. That being said, I'll still fork out the bucks for a 3G iPhone.

How exactly can they drop the price of the contracts AND subsidise the phone?

That makes no sense at all.

If they are paying Apple $200 to subsidise the phone they they need to get that back on the contracts, so they will not get cheaper.
  • Reply 11 of 30
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

I'm saying £269 for the 8GB and £329 for the 16GB on Pay/Go. Seems the most likely outcome. I certainly doubt it'll be more than that
  • Reply 12 of 30
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by flynifr View Post

You have to be joking.

Just who do you think should pay for the development of the network? Ever wonder why 3G is not as prevalent as some people think it is? You want to use another carrier? Go for it. That is if you can find one that has 3G anywhere near as good or extensive.

Why in the world do you think that everything should be subsidized? Do you remember how much the price of data plans were reduced at the launch of the iPhone? Have you costed out the high-end Nokia's or RIMs?
  • Reply 13 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

You have to be joking.

Just who do you think should pay for the development of the network? Ever wonder why 3G is not as prevalent as some people think it is? You want to use another carrier? Go for it. That is if you can find one that has 3G anywhere near as good or extensive.

Why in the world do you think that everything should be subsidized? Do you remember how much the price of data plans were reduced at the launch of the iPhone? Have you costed out the high-end Nokia's or RIMs?

In the US, Verizon's network blows AT&T's away in Florida. I don't even try to call any place where I might be on hold because the call will most certainly get dropped by AT&T. On Verizon, that's a very rare event.

Overall, AT&T sucks ass and I can't wait until their exclusivity deal on the iPhone in the US runs out.
  • Reply 14 of 30
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,616member
    Im all signed up for the iPhone 3G upgrade come July. Im on the £45 deal and will be getting a white 16GB phone. I will probably unlock my current 8GB handset and use my BT broadband anywhere sim card with it (only costs a fiver a month) and give it to my Son.

Pretty reasonable deal. Normally the network won't do you a deal on a new handset untill your contract is almost out. Or they charge you loads for the handset.

If they do start selling the 8GB handsets sim-free or PAYG at £269 that will be really cheap. A nokia N95 8GB, sim free costs almost 400 quid.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

My question is will I get any better signal for regular calling with 3G, because I'm currently seeing zero bars all around Orange County especially indoors.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzomedici View Post

In the US, Verizon's network blows AT&T's away in Florida. I don't even try to call any place where I might be on hold because the call will most certainly get dropped by AT&T. On Verizon, that's a very rare event.

Overall, AT&T sucks ass and I can't wait until their exclusivity deal on the iPhone in the US runs out.

Well the only evidence that I would offer to you is not anecdotal, e.g., the Review: Which 3G network is best? from Computerworld Mobie & Wireless.

In addition, as Jobs presented in the keynote, "Users love their iPhones. 90% customer satisfaction. "What products today have 90% satisfaction?" 98% are browsing; 94% using email; 90% text messaging; 90% using 10 or more features. "You can't even *begin* to figure out how to use 10 features on a normal phone."

You don't get that level of customer satisfaction if your carrier sucks!
  • Reply 17 of 30
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    I like how they play around with the word "free".

Signing a new contract and paying a more out of your pocket every month is not free. All this is is an upgrade to your service.
  • Reply 18 of 30
    yamayama Posts: 427member
    That's one hell of jump in minutes and texts between the £30 and £35 tariffs. An extra 5 quid gets you an awful lot.

Or inversely, the £30 deal is a horrible rip-off
  • Reply 19 of 30
    joedrcjoedrc Posts: 86member
    The new tariffs seem a lot better, I'll be off to my local O2 store come the 11th!
  • Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I like how they play around with the word "free".

Signing a new contract and paying a more out of your pocket every month is not free. All this is is an upgrade to your service.

Where did it state that the service was free?

Lets see.

• From Buffalo to New York city, the distance driving via I-90 and I-81 is approximately 400 miles and takes about 7 hours.

• Or you can take the New York Thruway which is 26 miles longer and get there in about 6 hours.

• The difference is primarily made up of the extra 15 or so exits and entrances you have to take on the shorter route vs two on the Thruway.

• Of course the Thruway will cost about $18 in tolls compared to 2-3 tolls (about $3-4) on the slower route.

• So I get there faster, less gas, probably frustrations, but it costs me a few bucks more.

Hmm. Wonder if I can get a subsidy for using the Thruway?

Anyway, you can keep your old iPhone and not pay anymore then you currently do.